: MODS to your new XTS

flying fossil
12-01-12, 10:58 PM
Hi, I am just about to take delivery of my new Crystal Red Premium and am thinking of having the polished wheels chrome plated, getting the windows tinted, and
maybe do a aftermarket grill by E.&G.
Have any of you out there done anything to your new pride and joy?

JDsCustom1
12-01-12, 11:35 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/JESSEDIGI/image.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/JESSEDIGI/image-1.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/JESSEDIGI/image-2.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/JESSEDIGI/image-3.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/JESSEDIGI/image-4.jpg

Engelman
12-02-12, 03:46 AM
100636"UGH"! Those wheels do not look right on that Platinum......I'll take the stock Platinum 20" wheels......they look much better!

JDsCustom1
12-02-12, 05:45 AM
Yeah.. Guess that comes from someone that's like to be the same as everyone else.. Mine I want different .. Ha ha. I think it's so funny how you seem offended.. I love it.. The thread was what have you done to you're car .. Why post a pic of a stock car you took a picture of at the dealer... We all know what the wheels look like you clown... Ha ha "UGH" You sound like my 10 year old daughter.

ddawson
12-02-12, 10:49 AM
The wheels are much too busy for a luxury car.

b4z
12-02-12, 11:32 AM
I think I would like to see a little more sidewall. And a someone who has the 14 spoke 17s on his Cts
And csl reps on his gto I will never do a wheel with more than 7 spokes again. Too hard to clean.

CAPT Mike
12-02-12, 12:04 PM
I like those wheels, but then again, gentleman and ladies, opinions are like hineyholes, everyone has one. No need to disparage anyone's concept of beauty.

Moderator - hineyholes????

JDsCustom1
12-02-12, 12:25 PM
I am 34 and have always customized my cars.. It's my style I think most of it is just difference in age and taste.. If I were in my 40s I don't know that I would do this but I'm young and enjoy it.. I don't think that everyone should like my style I was just putting it out there I don't like the e@g grill or chrome pillar trim but doesn't mean someone else doesn't.. I've had many compliments on the car as well from the dealer.. By the way bought sets of them for a couple of their cars in different finishes.. Sold imedietly.. But that may speak to the part of the country I'm in.. We like this stuff here

BreakThrough
12-02-12, 12:53 PM
JD's i like the look. Haven't done anything to my Sapphire blue XTS yet, cept put winter tires on it. I believe i will have the windows tinted.

flying fossil
12-02-12, 01:50 PM
This thread is not about judging others likes and dislikes. Were all individuals and some of us like things a little different than others.
If you have made some changes and care to share it, do so and post some pics.
If you haven't done anything, don't bother posting negatives.

BEarle
12-02-12, 02:56 PM
Wow! That's gorgeous

The Tony Show
12-02-12, 11:10 PM
Let's all play nice, shall we?

BEarle
12-02-12, 11:37 PM
Are you going to lower it at all?

JDsCustom1
12-02-12, 11:50 PM
Are you going to lower it at all?

I've looked into it.. Just kind of gun shy to do too much to it due to this being my second xts having issues with the first.. I don't want to have anything the dealer can say caused any issue.. I have DVD headrest for it I haven't even put in yet.. Just nervous .. But to answer the question I would like to and it wouldn't be a big task because you just adjust the length of the ride height rods.. I think it would improve the look to do it but again just a little hesitant.. And thanks for the POSITIVE words

CAPT Mike
12-03-12, 01:40 AM
I am 34 and have always customized my cars.. It's my style I think most of it is just difference in age and taste.. If I were in my 40s I don't know that I would do this but I'm young and enjoy it.. I don't think that everyone should like my style I was just putting it out there I don't like the e@g grill or chrome pillar trim but doesn't mean someone else doesn't.. I've had many compliments on the car as well from the dealer.. By the way bought sets of them for a couple of their cars in different finishes.. Sold imedietly.. But that may speak to the part of the country I'm in.. We like this stuff here

Where did you purchase the parts/wheels?

JDsCustom1
12-03-12, 09:37 AM
Where did you purchase the parts/wheels?
I actually own a business that specializes in that.. I go around to car dealers installing aftermarket equipment.. So i buy direct..

BEarle
12-03-12, 04:25 PM
I've looked into it.. Just kind of gun shy to do too much to it due to this being my second xts having issues with the first.. I don't want to have anything the dealer can say caused any issue.. I have DVD headrest for it I haven't even put in yet.. Just nervous .. But to answer the question I would like to and it wouldn't be a big task because you just adjust the length of the ride height rods.. I think it would improve the look to do it but again just a little hesitant.. And thanks for the POSITIVE words

Yeah I hear you I lowered my Escalade and I lost the "Cadillac Ride". It looks great but rides like shit. Anyways your XTS looks great though I love the brushed wheels with the silver paint, that's the first XTS I have seen with custom rims and I'm loving it. Use it well!

JDsCustom1
12-03-12, 05:57 PM
Yeah I hear you I lowered my Escalade and I lost the "Cadillac Ride". It looks great but rides like shit. Anyways your XTS looks great though I love the brushed wheels with the silver paint, that's the first XTS I have seen with custom rims and I'm loving it. Use it well!

Thanks.. I really appreciate it.. Lowering it may alter the magnetic ride control as well and that is one of my main concerns.. and honestly in person it doesn't look to bad in person at the height it sits. It really is a great car.. I had my frustrations but am over it now. The wheels are made by Vellano a very professional multi piece wheel company.. they are 22x8.5 front with 245/30 22 and 22x10 in rear with 285/25 22 pirelli tires and they are much nicer than the factory tires performance wise.. much quieter.. I enjoy it

Thanks

BEarle
12-03-12, 11:52 PM
Thanks.. I really appreciate it.. Lowering it may alter the magnetic ride control as well and that is one of my main concerns.. and honestly in person it doesn't look to bad in person at the height it sits. It really is a great car.. I had my frustrations but am over it now. The wheels are made by Vellano a very professional multi piece wheel company.. they are 22x8.5 front with 245/30 22 and 22x10 in rear with 285/25 22 pirelli tires and they are much nicer than the factory tires performance wise.. much quieter.. I enjoy it

Thanks

Yeah Vellano makes a great quality wheel, my best friend owns a car custom shop here in MA and always pushes the Vellano wheels.

docjay
12-04-12, 01:02 AM
Looks amazing! I love the wheels. Keep us posted with other mods.

thebigjimsho
12-05-12, 11:39 PM
Yeah Vellano makes a great quality wheel, my best friend owns a car custom shop here in MA and always pushes the Vellano wheels.

What shop?

BEarle
12-06-12, 02:25 PM
What shop?

Royal Rims in Arlington

rueben44
12-06-12, 04:20 PM
While I would have went an inch small I still like the look of your car a lot. I am younger also so I have to always customize my rides also and yours looks very nice. Quick question what happened so that you are on your second XTS?

CAPT Mike
12-06-12, 08:42 PM
I am younger also so I have to always customize my rides also

Younger??:bigroll: So...I am older and I enjoy modifying my Harley, my Vette, my F150 and looking for different mods to my XTS. We old farts are not dead yet:bouncy::)

rueben44
12-07-12, 10:52 PM
Younger??:bigroll: So...I am older and I enjoy modifying my Harley, my Vette, my F150 and looking for different mods to my XTS. We old farts are not dead yet:bouncy::)

LOL I am sorry your right it was just bad wording.

CAPT Mike
12-08-12, 09:42 AM
LOL I am sorry your right it was just bad wording.

:lol: you are forgiven...this time:)

TulsaVic
12-08-12, 12:59 PM
Just curious, all y'all who buy this new XTS and feel compelled to make it better by changing things: How do you react when your girlfriend/wife says, honey, I think you'd look better with a different haircut...or sweetie you really need to change the type of clothes you wear...or...sugar I really wish you would stop.....

rueben44
12-08-12, 09:47 PM
Just curious, all y'all who buy this new XTS and feel compelled to make it better by changing things: How do you react when your girlfriend/wife says, honey, I think you'd look better with a different haircut...or sweetie you really need to change the type of clothes you wear...or...sugar I really wish you would stop.....

If she cost as much as an XTS I would tell her what I please.

CDN XTS
12-09-12, 10:10 PM
Yes where do you get wheels fitting a XTS? Reason, I have a 2003 STS which from the dealer came brand new with German made BBS CMO13 18x8 rims which I now use for my 2 yr. old winter Bridgestone LM25VZ 235/50R18 tires with only 4,780 km which I did not trade-in, hoping I could use them on my "yet to be delivered" XTS Platinum as they would be basically equivalent to the P245/40R20 size as to total diameter I ordered on Aug 31/12. Being a little narrower would actually be better in snow. Dealers in Canada apparently have a problem getting the XTS Plantinum and my dealer only had a few of the other models. The service manager tried to put a wheel on a Luxury model with came with 19x8.5 rims but said it didn't fit the 5 bolt holes of the BBS rims. :crying: Does anyone know whether or not the 20 inch rims of the Platinum are different as to bolt placement or are the all different then those on a STS? I already checked for rims fitting an XTS Platinum in case I need to buy new ones but couldn't find any such rims.

b4z
12-10-12, 09:07 AM
Lots of different reasons for not fitting. Bolt pattern, hub size, lug size and offsets come into play. Would a Buick lacrosse wheel fit?

CDN XTS
12-10-12, 10:42 PM
Agree.
That why I had them test it and they said the Bolt pattern differred but they couldn't tell me whether cars with 20" rims had different bold pattern than those with 19" rims they tried. They have yet to receive an STS Platinum. LOL.
Hub size should not be a problem unless vastly larger. All those after market rims are available with different size hub rings to compensate.
Lug size; not sure if there there are not also different lugs available to match bolts/lug to wheels (I have been using same lugs for Summer and Winter sets but both 18" rims are from totally different manufaturers and lugs are the original lugs from the Standard 17" Cadillac rims the 2003 STS normally comes with.)
Offsets; I am not sure if this is related to rear v/s front wheel drives and both STS and XTS have front wheel drive. But as said this is over my head.
Anyway when I finally get my XTS Platinum I will myself try my a wheel from my present winter set and if it doesn't fit I will have to sell my present set and buy a new one, they reason I have already googled for such but none of the sites have an XTS option listed, including the Vellano site mentioned earlier in this thread.

Bummer is selling my set in the spring is not the best and selling it next fall the rubber is a year older nothwithstanding they are not driven.
Don't know if Lacrosse or Malibu rims would fit the XTS Platinum. Will ask my dealer if they can try such.

b4z
12-11-12, 12:20 PM
Last gen sts was rear wheel drive and xts is a fwd based car, same as the lacrosse and the upcoming impala.

CAPT Mike
12-11-12, 04:13 PM
You might consider taking a piece of paper and tracing the bolt pattern from your wheels and comparing it to the bolt pattern on an XTS at the dealership. Just remember that if the offset is not the same, you may need shims. Exchanging wheels is not simply a matter of throwing them on your car; they must fit the bolt pattern or else you need an adapter (there are places that specialize in that on the web) and as important is the offset (how the wheel and tire sit in the wheel well.

CDN XTS
12-11-12, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all your input. Should the bolt pattern fit on a Platinum, once I get it (dealer has never had one to date), I would take all to the dealer to make sure all the rest is o.k. If bolt pattern doesn't fit, I have to get new rims anyway, and probably new tires rather than the present set which would need an 18" rim.

@b4z - Yes I know but my STS is a 2003 FWD car and thats where my winter set was used. Given they are gret rims and almost new top class tires, it would be great if they could be used. Looks doubtful now.

JDsCustom1
12-11-12, 07:39 PM
Platinum xts has the same bolt pattern as the rest of the xts line... Sts had a 5x115 pattern and xts has a 5x120.. The only other Cadillacs that were 5x115 were the dts, previous cts meaning 07 down.. Excluding the v.. The ats is 5x115

CDN XTS
12-12-12, 01:07 PM
Platinum xts has the same bolt pattern as the rest of the xts line... Sts had a 5x115 pattern and xts has a 5x120.. The only other Cadillacs that were 5x115 were the dts, previous cts meaning 07 down.. Excluding the v.. The ats is 5x115

Now that is all the info I need. Thanks a lot. So I will now try to sell my present set and hope to find some nice looking wheels with a bolt pattern of 5x120 and the other qualifications needed for the XTS and of course new rubber. Since I will not have the car until late Jan the earliest, I'll try to wait for buying the new stuff until late next fall.

Loveldos
12-17-12, 10:42 PM
Another older "thread" on this Forum discussed a few XTS's with "mods:"

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-265976.html