: 58 cadillac dash bulb replacement

58caddyman
12-01-12, 07:33 PM
I recently got a 58 series 62 and one turn signal indicator bulb and the instrument panel lights are burned out, I can get the instrument panel loose but I can't get it to pull
out. Does anybody know how to replace the bulbs in the dash? Thanks.

carnut
12-01-12, 09:54 PM
Is the speedometer cable disconnected? If not, unscrew it from the transmission. That should give you the needed space.

58caddyman
12-01-12, 10:48 PM
That makes sense, how does the column shift lever connect, do I have to do anything with that? Thanks for the answers.

akaBC
12-02-12, 08:38 PM
Are you anywhere near the San Fernando Valley? If so, I can put you in touch with a friend who can show you stuff. And things.

BC

58caddyman
12-03-12, 09:48 AM
unfortunately not, I'm in Montana.

akaBC
12-04-12, 11:36 AM
Well, that's OK--it I won't hold it against you. . . .(just kiddn).

My (pink-ish, actually "beige" according to the factory) "62" Cpe is in LA (The Valley), but if you ever need advice or photos to help you re-vitalize your unit, let me know. Did you get yer bulbs replaced? Taking off the speedo cable from the back should give you room to r&r, and while it's off, you can cable-lube it before re-install. Also, the bake-lite in the oil pressure sending switch on the top rear of the engine is NOTORIOUS for leaking over time. To replace it, you need the special socket. So, sock it to it!
BC

58caddyman
12-05-12, 12:46 AM
Sounds like we have the same car. I'm gonna try to get it out tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to do some cable work as the speedometer doesn't work, I'm guessing (hoping) bad cable. What do you lube it up with? Thanks for the help and advice, I'm looking forward to restoring the 'Ol girl, I'm sure I'll have to take you up on the advice or photos.

carnut
12-05-12, 12:57 AM
I've always used a very light coat of wheel bearing grease. You might find it easier to disconnect the cable housing at the transmission in order for the cluster to pull back. The inner cable comes out from the top once its disconnected from the cluster.

akaBC
12-11-12, 08:31 PM
Well, if the cable has snapped, you may have to un-do both ends and remove it from either or both. There is actually a product called cable lube, but I suspect it is little more than a light lithium grease (from the planet Lythia, you know. . . .). Wheel bearing grease is a little too stiff (even more so than Wildroot hair cream!), not to say stiffening is a bad thing. . . .at times. . . . I'm going to try to get some photos posted if I'm allowed to. My friend Tim and I took the 58 on a tour/photoshoot, which included backgrounds like the Glendale Public Library, Topanga Canyon, the Santa Monica Pier, the Queen Mary, and the Griffith Observatory. Fun day, that.
BC

bigm57ict
12-12-12, 12:04 PM
My friend Tim and I took the 58 on a tour/photoshoot, which included backgrounds like the Glendale Public Library, Topanga Canyon, the Santa Monica Pier, the Queen Mary, and the Griffith Observatory. Fun day, that.
BC

Of course, you plan to post some of these photos, right?

akaBC
12-14-12, 08:00 PM
'Course! Gotta find 'em foist. . . . have a buncha others I think y'all might like, too.