: oil change

B1n2fra
12-01-12, 04:48 PM
About When should you change the oil on the northstar. Should you wait till oil life is zero or sooner

curtc
12-01-12, 05:49 PM
Personal preference.

I usually do it around 7-8k just because. Use the recommended Mobil1 oil and keep it topped off if needed, don't exceed the OLM and you'll be just fine.

EChas3
12-01-12, 05:52 PM
Opinions vary. I work it into my schedule when it warns me. I'm pretty sure that's at 10%. It's close to annual for me. My wife could go more than 18 months and shouldn't. It's her car; her decision.

I'll usually have found a good filter & jugs of Mobil1 on sale. There's an advantage to having a nearly matching pair of cars. My local guy does the change, recycles the oil and rotates my tires for about $40.

My wife's oil change is under $20 because she has her tire shop mount/balance/rotate/tpms April & November for $150 per year. I suppose we should shop for a deal on a set of wheels & TPMS sensors for one set of tires but I never have to mess with it and they are always balanced & rotated.

ddalder
12-01-12, 09:43 PM
I would definitely be thinking about a change by the 10% mark. I usually have mine changed about 25% but this is personal preference. GM recommends changing the oil every year at minimum (when you don't meet the Oil Life Monitor criteria). I've only put 2,000km on one of my cars over the past 12 months, so it's getting changed soon.

Submariner409
12-01-12, 10:34 PM
All the above. The OLM has a pretty significant safety (fudge) factor built in. Today's oils and PCV systems keep engine oil cleaner longer than even 15 years ago. I run my 2002 about 7,500 miles/year, so I do my own oil/filter each March - about 40% on the OLM - and what drains out is clear dark amber in color. My engine currently uses a quart in about 6,000 miles and I run the snot out of the car - it is not babied.

Not that it makes a flying hoot, but I use Pennzoil 5W-30 Platinum oil and a WIX 51522 filter (your number may vary). The level is filled and kept at the center of the dipstick < == XXXXXXXX's.

scott9001
12-02-12, 01:49 PM
i change my oil every 10,000 km with mobil one synthetic i keep a close eye on it tho, when the oil starts disapiering it usualy means its time for a change... idk what some guys talk about oil consumption with there northstar mine doesent use it unless its time for a change i would never wait till 0% on the mointor. a guy i work with never reset his oil mointor on his trailblazer when he did the oil change wanted to see how far he could go till the light come on and he got 18,000 till it come on so screw that oil is cheaper than a motor