: Rev Limiter in Park and Neutral??

treetop
12-22-04, 01:50 AM
2001 Deville DHS.

I just installed a Corsa exhaust system in my car last weekend, the only other engine "mod" is a Volant cold air intake.
I went to rev it up, it "skips" at 4K. Like it's purposely shutting down, then surging. It drives fine, and revs fine during normal or aggressive driving, it only does this in Park and Neutral (I didn't try reverse).

I don't remember it doing this before swapping the exhaust, but I don't think I really revved the motor at all before then.

Is this normal or is something screwy?

Thanks!

CadiJeff
12-22-04, 02:04 AM
my 94 ETC does that when the engine is cold, I think it is designed to protect a cold engine, when it warms up it will rev above 6k

Katshot
12-22-04, 06:58 AM
Four grand in neutral?! Number one, that's not too bright.

treetop
12-22-04, 08:48 AM
Four grand in neutral?! Number one, that's not too bright.

And what's number two (if you can count that high)?

up2ng
12-22-04, 10:03 AM
Actually it is a built-in Northstar Cylinder Cleansing System. If you hold the throttle all the way (WOT) for 10-15 minutes (use a brick or broom handle) it will clean out the intake and catalytic converter, that is why it surges and stops.

It is really over-rev protection, try not to piss on the people on the board.

caddydaddy
12-22-04, 10:08 AM
LOL! A self cleaning engine! What will Cadillac think of next?

My 2000 STS stops at 3,600 RPM in neutral or park. It does kinda suck because I also have a Corsa exhaust, and it's nice to hear that bad boy growl!
My old '94 Concours didn't stop until you hit the max engine speed limiter at 6,000 or so.
I wonder if there's a way to disable the lower limiter on the newer Northstars?

Katshot
12-22-04, 01:58 PM
And what's number two (if you can count that high)?

#2 - See #1 ;)