: Catera shut off on me today

Chobes13
11-30-12, 02:28 PM
I have a 2001 catera with 50k miles on it. So I was grabbing something to eat for lunch, and as I was pulling out of the drive through, my Catera stalled, while in drive. I'm fairly certain it stalled at least. What I noticed was right before that my FUEL CAP was blinking on the dash. This is weird because I filled up my gas tank on Sunday and have not opened it since. So I was able to turn it off and back on and she started. I drove back to school and opened my gas lid and the cap was partially off? Someone shed some light on this for me because honestly, I have no idea as to what happened!

kaustein
12-01-12, 11:12 PM
Possible crankshaft positioning sensor (CPS) Very common problem

Chobes13
12-02-12, 06:32 PM
Possible crankshaft positioning sensor (CPS) Very common problem
I just googled it and the symptoms are there. Thanks a bunch, kaustein!

elvin315
12-03-12, 09:32 PM
The GAS CAP alarm is emissions related but in my experience it is also an undocumented CPS warning. I have the Cadillac service manuals and there's no mention of the GAS CAP alarm being related to the CPS but it flashed at me just before my CPS bit the dust. Must be a glitch in the CPU.

The CPS is not that expensive or difficult for the owner to change but I suggest wrapping the first foot of the cable (including the factory supplied heat shield) with heavy weight aluminum foil. It comes with a short piece of heat sheilding but more is better. We believe the sensor can handle the exhaust heat. The cable is the weak link.

Sontov
12-09-12, 08:38 PM
okay - that you - but where is the plug-end go to? I dont see - cannot locate it. I see where the CPS mounts but not the other end. please assist.

elvin315
12-09-12, 09:24 PM
At the rear of the engine, under the wiper scuttle. You can see it here:

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/image/75031083

Tug the CPS cable and trace it back and up. Try to route the new one as far from the exhaust as possible.