: Dash lights not working. Window lights, mirror lights, stereo lights all still workin

zunie75
11-29-12, 08:46 PM
Hello, just picked up a 2003 Escalade. Has a few issues to resolve, but nothing i'm not prepared for...except for this one. I have searched
the forums, and haven't found an answer to solve my specific issue.

the lights to illuminate the speedometer cluster, heating controls, gear selector etc are not illuminating. This is the case when the car is on, off, or the light switch is in any position. The dimmer switch is working, as it still allows me to control the brightness of the stereo, and
the computer display. The door lights illuminating the window switches etc are also still working.

I would like to think its just a fuse issue, and I will check that tomorrow. But that would be to easy, so lets assume its not the fuse, what else could it be?

There is also a squealing noise coming from the drive belt. It was not happening when I first picked up the vehicle, it only happened after I
took it for a car wash (The weather here is -15 Celsius right now). Before I go purchase a new belt or mess around with tightening, could
the belt need a greasing, and if so what would one use?

MrHolland
11-29-12, 11:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!! Lots of good info and people here. I'm sure someone will soon answer your question. Good luck and enjoy your stay!!

the cadillac man
11-29-12, 11:34 PM
Hello, just picked up a 2003 Escalade. Has a few issues to resolve, but nothing i'm not prepared for...except for this one. I have searched
the forums, and haven't found an answer to solve my specific issue.

the lights to illuminate the speedometer cluster, heating controls, gear selector etc are not illuminating. This is the case when the car is on, off, or the light switch is in any position. The dimmer switch is working, as it still allows me to control the brightness of the stereo, and
the computer display. The door lights illuminating the window switches etc are also still working.

I would like to think its just a fuse issue, and I will check that tomorrow. But that would be to easy, so lets assume its not the fuse, what else could it be?

There is also a squealing noise coming from the drive belt. It was not happening when I first picked up the vehicle, it only happened after I
took it for a car wash (The weather here is -15 Celsius right now). Before I go purchase a new belt or mess around with tightening, could
the belt need a greasing, and if so what would one use?

The lights could be a fuse or the bulbs may be blown(my 03 has a few bulbs blown)

The squealing noise means the belt needs replacing(and maybe the belt tensioner also)I do not recommend using belt grease as bad things can happen
The water from the wash may have made be worser then normal

Ps the belt tensioners are automatic and tighten as needed(as they are spring loaded)

zunie75
11-30-12, 06:59 PM
Thank you for your response. I will check the fuses in a bit. I also noticed that the day time running lights (required in Canada) are not working either. I will check to see if its the bulbs, but it could be related to the dash lights.

Can some one point me in the right direction as to which fuse runs the dash lights, I cant seem to find that information in a clearly written form.

the cadillac man
11-30-12, 07:26 PM
Thank you for your response. I will check the fuses in a bit. I also noticed that the day time running lights (required in Canada) are not working either. I will check to see if its the bulbs, but it could be related to the dash lights.

Can some one point me in the right direction as to which fuse runs the dash lights, I cant seem to find that information in a clearly written form.

The drls have a relay and a fuse both labeled drl in the underhood fuse box

One of the fuses that works the cluster also works a few other things ac relay turn signal/hazard switch,starter relay
It is labeled IGN E in the underhood fuse box
The other is IPC/DIC
The rest of the dash I think is data controlled and is switched via the park lamp relay.