: 2010 SRX Premium 20" Tires

Kuya
11-29-12, 03:38 PM
So, living in New York, I need to replace the two front tires before we get snow. Rear have plenty of tread but front are borderline . . . shameful.

I don't know a thing about tires, so I have been looking on line and see that there are currently only about 3 brands that make tires to fit the 20" SRX.

Michelin
Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport
Yokohama or something I have never heard of.

And to top it off, not many places here carry this size tire. I can easily get the Duelers, but nobody seems to have the Michelin's in stock. (Probably because most people, like me, waited until it is near snow time . . and ran out to replace worn tires).

Before I invest in the Bridgestone Duelers . . . I have read mixed review online for them . . so I am wondering if anyone here has used them on the SRX and what they have to say about them?

Marc NY
11-29-12, 04:18 PM
If you are just buying 2 new tires I would only buy the make and style of tire that you already have on the back which I am assuming is Michelin that came with your vehicle new. I don't believe you should try to mix or match other tire brands or use another style of tire even from the same manufacture. If you were buying all 4 new tires than I would say you should be OK to go with a different brand.

IMHO: I would recommend getting the OEM Michelin tires that were on the SRX when brand new as those tires were specifically developed and designed for the driving chartarsitics of your SRX and I also think they are one of the best all-around tires you can get today. :)

NOTE: I would call your local Cadillac dealer if you can't seem to find a tire store locally that handles your tire and ask them to get two tires for you and of course shop their prices too.

Just my .02

Kuya
11-29-12, 04:31 PM
Marc . . .

First . it's been a while . . . haven't benefited from your insight for about a year . . . as my SRX has been running GREAT since we got it about 1.5 years ago. Good to see you again :)

Thanks for your advice. I am getting 2 tires, because I am a bit pinched with the holidays . . . and what not. Otherwise, I agree . . I would get all 4. I also agree that it would be nice to go with the Michelins. They are great.

I do, however, need some insight on the Bridgestone Dulers . . . because for this one instance . . they better fit into my budget. I will go with Michelins if everyone seems to agree that the Brigdestone are garbabe . . but if not, I need to make a budget call.

You must be on your 34th SRX by now? lol jk!

sube5186
11-29-12, 04:41 PM
So, living in New York, I need to replace the two front tires before we get snow. Rear have plenty of tread but front are borderline . . . shameful.

That's odd. At almost 15K miles my front and rear tires are wearing perfectly evenly. Any ideas why you're getting the uneven wear?

Sube

Marc NY
11-29-12, 04:46 PM
Yes it is great hearing from you again. :) BTW: I edited my comments above so I hope you had a chance to reread them. I certainly can understand one being on a tight budget. I am not a tire expert but I do remember hearing that one should not mix tires. That is the reason why I said you might be best advised to stay with the Michelin brand if you are only getting two new tires.

Perhaps there is a tire expert on our website that would be able to give you some better advice or chime in on whether you would be OK with mixing your tires. I hope you don't get too much snow like we usually do in WNY area ... then again unless you are living around in the Syracuse, NY area. :Poke:

*Oh yes ... I am only on my 3rd SRX ... but I am sure I will want to own another one in the future. ;)

Turbo Dude
11-29-12, 04:48 PM
I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy other name brand tires for your SRX.

I'm a bit of a tire and wheel nut. Everything I have every owned has had aftermarket wheels, tires and what not. Some were plus size. Love the wheels on the Cad SRX so their staying.

The wife's Nissan SUV has the same size and brand tires as my SRX. They wore terribly quick even with rotations for so reason. I put a set of Nitto's on it in a 255/50/20 with an asymmetrical tread.

The tire size and weight are virtually the same as the 235/55. They have been flawless, and can be rotated in any direction. No difference in MPG or ride quality either.

Yokohama Prada Spec's have some excellent reviews on Tirerack. They may be my next choice. Good luck with it.

beachcad
11-29-12, 05:05 PM
I agree with Marc 100%. It's not really a question of another tire brand being better, or worse. That's a decision that should be reserved for when all 4 tires can be replaced. It's about mixing tread patterns and the handling characteristics of different tires on the same vehicle. If you've ever driven on a road surface that was grooved and experienced the vehicle swerving, that would be similar to one type of negative result that could occur with mismatched tires. This type of bad behaviour would be more likely to happen under the worst conditions, such as higher speeds, or rain and snow, or a combination. That's not to say this kind of effect will definitely occur. There's just no way to be sure if you take a chance on mixing tires. Better to be safe than sorry.

Marc NY
11-29-12, 05:29 PM
... It's about mixing tread patterns and the handling characteristics of different tires on the same vehicle. Ah yes ... that is what I recall hearing about mixing different tires.

beachcad
11-29-12, 05:33 PM
The most dangerous scenario is to replace a single tire with a mismatched one.

OK...I had to go back and edit my last statement. I suppose the most dangerous scenario would be to have all 4 tires mismatched. I can't imagine anyone doing that, but what a nightmare that could cause.

Likely
11-29-12, 05:43 PM
Don't mix differnent brands of tires!!!!!You will be asking for trouble. The vehicle will not handle the same....

Turbo Dude
11-29-12, 06:12 PM
Never mix and match. Ever...

Kuya
11-29-12, 10:53 PM
Ok . . so I have read all of the great information everyone provided, and I have done even more research online.

It appears very true, that with AWD, you should not mix and match brands (due to different speed ratings, tread, etc). When your tires are unevenly worn, or different treading, the computer will take an incorrect reading and the differential will be overworked . . eventually burning out the drivetrain.

This, I did not know. This is my first AWD vehicle.

Sube5186 - I am not sure why the tires have worn uneven (front and back). I bought the car when it was 9 months old . . and the wear was already uneven. I will keep my eye on it. I assumed the front would naturally wear faster (even in AWD) because the front of the car is much heavier than the back??

Anyway . . with all of the good information provided . . . I have made the following decision:

My local Cadillac dealer is asking $360 per Michelin plus install. That's $40 per tire more than other places in the area. . . but the other places offer free install. So, I am not going to the dealer for this one.

Then the Bridgestone's are about $50 cheaper than the Michelins per tire. So, that is a savings of $200.00 And, with Xmas coming and a few other unexpected expenses . . I have to be penny conscious . . . especially now that I realize I need to buy all 4 tires.

I have read the reviews on both tires. Seems there is good and bad about both Bridgestone and Michelins. Some people say the Bridgestone are awful in snow and rain . . others say they are fantastic in snow and rain. So I have no idea if I will be doing the right thing or not lol.

But, I have no choice but to go with the Bridgestone Deuler HP Sport Tires, and save over $200.00 this round.

If nobody has any experience to share with the Dueler HP, then maybe I am the first? And I can report back later, on how they worked out, ride, noise, weather conditions, etc.

Thank you all for the insight! As I was about to do something I would regret.

Huey Driver
11-30-12, 07:36 AM
*deleted*

allgm
11-30-12, 08:50 AM
Michelin latitude 20". I got a quote from SEARS $290 ea $1326.00 Complete 6.5% sales tax included. you don't need the road hazard as you have roadside assistance .
also if you buy four tires you get $ 70.00 gift card. comes out to $3l4 ea mount balance tax complete

beachcad
11-30-12, 09:46 AM
It's a pity that I have a complete set of SRX 18" wheels AND Michelin latitude tires with < 10 miles that I would like to sell for a very cheap price. They were taken off of my wife's 2012 SRX that we purchased at the end of July and replaced with the 20s. We're in Florida, so don't need any winter tires, but if I did I would prefer the 18s as a winter set. They did snatch the TPMS from the old wheels, but those can be found on the internet for a very reasonable price. The shipping costs to deliver these up north would be my concern.

300:29:1
11-30-12, 10:01 AM
It's a pity that I have a complete set of SRX 18" wheels AND Michelin latitude tires with < 10 miles that I would like to sell for a very cheap price. They were taken off of my wife's 2012 SRX that we purchased at the end of July and replaced with the 20s. We're in Florida, so don't need any winter tires, but if I did I would prefer the 18s as a winter set. They did snatch the TPMS from the old wheels, but those can be found on the internet for a very reasonable price. The shipping costs to deliver these up north would be my concern.

What style of wheels are these?

beachcad
11-30-12, 10:07 AM
What style of wheels are these?

They are the factory 18" polished aluminum (7 double-spoke) wheels and tires that came standard on the 2012 luxury SRX.

11-30-12, 10:47 AM
They are the factory 18" polished aluminum (7 double-spoke) wheels and tires that came standard on the 2012 luxury SRX.

I was afraid of that. I have the same ones. Thanks.

beachcad
11-30-12, 11:42 AM
I was afraid of that. I have the same ones. Thanks.

I'm guessing that you're looking for a more custom look wheel. Like another poster stated, I'm a wheels and tires guy too. I had to pay a small fortune to get the chrome wheels for my wife's SRX. The same wheels are now an option on the 2013 performance or premium for what is a steal compared to what I had to give. I still love the looks and no regrets, except for that 2013 deal being so much sweeter!

sube5186
11-30-12, 12:32 PM
Sube5186 - I am not sure why the tires have worn uneven (front and back). I bought the car when it was 9 months old . . and the wear was already uneven. I will keep my eye on it. I assumed the front would naturally wear faster (even in AWD) because the front of the car is much heavier than the back?

Just some food for thought. After my last post I went out and checked my tires. Turns out the front was one milometer lower than the rear. Had the tires rotated once before and checked them back then. At that time they were perfectly even. The manual says rotate every 5,000 to 8,000 miles. For me, I'll be sticking with the 8,000 miles from now on. 5,000 miles just doesn't seem to be enough to create any wear differential. I suppose this would vary depending on how many passengers you regularly carry and what's in the cargo area. It just so happens my car is in for service as we speak. I needed an oil change and state inspection. I told them to rotate the tires as well.

You're correct about the increased wear to the front tires because of the extra weight. However, the front to rear weight distribution must be pretty close to 50/50 for me to be getting such minimal difference in wear. I don't know what the previous owner did with yours. Keep an eye on tire wear when you get your new ones. You should be experiencing wear similar to mine. At the very least, there shouldn't be a drastic difference.

Sube

beachcad
11-30-12, 01:01 PM
Kuya,
The type of uneven wear you indicated would suggest you may need an alignment, especially if the wear is across the whole tread width.

Likely
11-30-12, 03:07 PM
Do alignment when you put on the new tires for sure. Something has caused the front tires to wear out faster!!!Maybe the first owner had the front end damaged someway. When you put on the new tires, have all the front end componets checked real well to make sure,all is well...

11-30-12, 03:44 PM
I'm guessing that you're looking for a more custom look wheel. Like another poster stated, I'm a wheels and tires guy too. I had to pay a small fortune to get the chrome wheels for my wife's SRX. The same wheels are now an option on the 2013 performance or premium for what is a steal compared to what I had to give. I still love the looks and no regrets, except for that 2013 deal being so much sweeter!
I couldn't spring for the premium or performance packages, which would have given me wheels and much more. To get new wheels now would probably approach the price of the next tier that I skipped. Maybe next time.

Kuya
12-03-12, 12:14 PM
Update:

Looks like I am going with the "Toyo Versado CUV"

Been on the phone with many tire places locally, and was shocked to hear many recommended this tire as being a better luxury tire then the Michelin. Read a lot about it online, and many reviews. It seems to handle better in wet and snow, and be quieter then the Michelin. Or at least, according to reviews online.

The 235/55 20 had very high ratings.

The Toyo Versado is not cheap, but it is slightly cheaper then the Michelin Latitude . . .

Anyone currently using these, or have any additional input before I go get new tires this week?

kanundrum
12-06-12, 12:09 AM
I went with 255/50/20 Yokohoma Parada Spec All Seasons

Turbo Dude
12-06-12, 09:09 AM
I went with 255/50/20 Yokohoma Parada Spec All Seasons

Definitely a good choice. They are rated #1 in surveys on Tirerack. Most likely go the same route in size as well. I assume they are performing well?

kanundrum
12-09-12, 02:46 PM
Definitely a good choice. They are rated #1 in surveys on Tirerack. Most likely go the same route in size as well. I assume they are performing well?

I will be installing them on Monday but they look like they will do very well

phyre88
12-13-12, 09:23 PM
I would be interested in your Michelin Latitude tires and wheels for the SRX. Email me at phyre88@gmai.com if interested in an offer. Thanks

allgm
12-13-12, 09:41 PM
i

In the market for new tires 235 55 20 SEARS has Michelin for $276.41 complete mount bal ect plus $70.00 rebate on 4 tires.
Seems to be back order Sears could not find any I checked with 4 Michelin dealers. Only one could find 2 tires. Called Michelin the tires that came on our SRX have been discountinued. and a new part # (design ?) is being mfg. Could not give me a ETA. Any way I am down to 3.5 /32 hope it does not snow.

Kuya
12-18-12, 03:44 PM
Just wanted to check in, now that I have a few hundred miles on the Toyo's. So far, they are great. Very quiet and excellent traction in down pouring rain. We have had plenty of that recently . . and the snow is coming any day now haha. They seem much quieter than my previous Mich Latitudes. BUT, to be fair I bought my SRX used with 17,000 miles on it @ 10 months old. So I can not compare actual apples to apples (new tires to new tires).

Overall, the Toyo's are very very quiet, very smooth ride . . . I don't feel any bumps, other than major potholes, etc. They handle very well at higher speeds. I don't notice a single difference in steering performance at all. And instantly it felt like my ride was a luxury vehicle again . . . I noticed an immediate difference just sitting in the SRX for the first time, after the tires were changed. Of course, this could all just be in my head.

I will drop back in later on . . . once we get some snow and give an update - just incase someone is curious.

TheCaptain
12-20-12, 06:27 AM
AllGM, there is a new part number for Latitude Tour HP's. Michelin changed the compound from the originals put on our vehicles and they are now out of service. If your tire person calls Michelin, they can easily find out there is a replacement Latitude Tour HP on the market already that's newer/better (i don't really know in what respect though). I found the same thing when I was going to get new tires. My tire person just called to find out specifically and there is a new one. (At least in Canada).

allgm
12-20-12, 12:45 PM
AllGM, there is a new part number for Latitude Tour HP's. Michelin changed the compound from the originals put on our vehicles and they are now out of service. If your tire person calls Michelin, they can easily find out there is a replacement Latitude Tour HP on the market already that's newer/better (i don't really know in what respect though). I found the same thing when I was going to get new tires. My tire person just called to find out specifically and there is a new one. (At least in Canada).
Thanks Captain. My tire person called Michelin and the new style is on back order for some reason. The car mfg will get them first to keep the lines running. I will check after the first of the year. $70.00 rebate expires Jan 3

TheCaptain
12-21-12, 09:18 AM
Rain check!

kanundrum
01-08-13, 12:05 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2u58e95.jpg