: Snow tires....an absolute must?

caddyvirgin
11-29-12, 02:10 PM
Hello, i've recently purchased a 06 sts and with another fierce Illinois winter upon me, i was just wondering if dropping the money on a set of blizzaks is an absolute must or if with my expert driving skills ill be ok. I've made it through the last 10 winters just fine without having snows tires on any of my RW cars. also would it make a difference if i just got a pair for the back tires? car history 90' chrsyler newyorker, 95 towncar,02 concorde and now the STS

dkozloski
11-29-12, 03:16 PM
Why stop in Chicago if you're going to New York? Get Blizzaks all the way around and enjoy care free winter driving.

triumph.man
11-29-12, 03:27 PM
yea, what i thought as well till i the snow hit us last year. you'll probably do okay in 1-2 inches of snow, but anything around 4-+ inches you will probably have trouble.

truckinman
11-29-12, 03:48 PM
I can buy a surprisingly reliable jeep Cherokee with 4 wheel drive for less than a set of those tires. Lol. And that would do better with nearly bald tires than my caddy with those snow tires. Just sayin.

dkozloski
11-29-12, 05:47 PM
I buy Blizzaks from TireRack and even with the exhorbitant shipping to Alaska they are still pretty reasonable. 235/65/17s are $129ea. plus shipping

curtc
11-29-12, 05:53 PM
I buy Blizzaks from TireRack and even with the exhorbitant shipping to Alaska they are still pretty reasonable. 235/65/17s are $129ea. plus shipping

Looking at Tirerack right now, a set of 235/50/17 Blizzak's to mount on my old CTS rims would run me $772+ shipping, that's FAR from $129/e....

Alaska must get cheap tires because of all that oil :)

Ludacrisvp
11-29-12, 06:46 PM
Looking at Tirerack right now, a set of 235/50/17 Blizzak's to mount on my old CTS rims would run me $772+ shipping, that's FAR from $129....

Alaska must get cheap tires because of all that oil :)

He did say 129 each...

curtc
11-29-12, 08:03 PM
He did say 129 each...

I know, divide $772 by 4 once :)

dkozloski
11-29-12, 09:18 PM
You have to add the cadillac tax.

EChas3
11-29-12, 10:26 PM
I can buy a surprisingly reliable jeep Cherokee with 4 wheel drive for less than a set of those tires. Lol. And that would do better with nearly bald tires than my caddy with those snow tires. Just sayin.

I think I'd miss my heated seats & wheel a lot. On the coldest days I do use the remote start. What's the use of having a great car and not driving it?

dkozloski
11-29-12, 11:41 PM
I never drove a Jeep Cherokee that didn't steer like it'd been wrecked. The steering is not self centering. Coming out of a corner you have to unwind the steering wheel instead of just letting go of it.
I'll take my STS4 AWD on Blizzaks and I guarantee you won't be able to follow me up steep icy grades in a Cherokee on Bald Eagles. As far as that goes I've pushed snow so deep that the front bumper was catching it and sluicing it over the hood and up and over the windshield. The only time I have had to delay a trip here in Alaska, an avalanche dumped sixteen feet of snow on the highway.

ddalder
11-30-12, 12:15 AM
If I had RWD, I'd buy winter tires. I enjoy winter in Alberta and we certainly get our fair share of snow, cold and bad roads. Haven't had anything but all season tires on my STS since I bought it and I've had no problems at all. I truly believe at least some of the problems people have are because of their bad driving habits. Like those people that I call glazers... the ones who slick up roads from spinning their tires off a red light. Ugh!

Terrie
11-30-12, 01:03 AM
Hello, i have an 05 sts l just and the Remote Start won't work... Can some one help me with this problem or direct me in the right direction...

dkozloski
11-30-12, 02:01 AM
Hello, i have an 05 sts l just and the Remote Start won't work... Can some one help me with this problem or direct me in the right direction...Is your CEL on? If the ECM is throwing a trouble code the remore start won't work.

truckinman
11-30-12, 02:19 AM
I never drove a Jeep Cherokee that didn't steer like it'd been wrecked. The steering is not self centering. Coming out of a corner you have to unwind the steering wheel instead of just letting go of it.
I'll take my STS4 AWD on Blizzaks and I guarantee you won't be able to follow me up steep icy grades in a Cherokee on Bald Eagles. As far as that goes I've pushed snow so deep that the front bumper was catching it and sluicing it over the hood and up and over the windshield. The only time I have had to delay a trip here in Alaska, an avalanche dumped sixteen feet of snow on the highway.

That's pretty impressive. I didn't realize a set of snows improved it by that much. We will prob just drive my better halfs car if it gets to slick since it's at least front drive.

And I've never driven a Cherokee that didn't self center on the steering. Even my current one with 216k miles self centers just fine. And that's even after being beaten so badly off road, it's not even street legal anymore. Lol.

1BadCadSTS
11-30-12, 09:36 AM
I ran Michelin as sport pilots last year. They ran good but were junk after 10k miles. I have dws contis now. Not as good in the bends but ill sacrifice that for good snow traction and longevity. Can't wait for snow to test them. I should also note mine is awd.

truckinman
11-30-12, 02:23 PM
I kind of wish I had gotten an AWD model for the winter but I really didn't want to sacrifice performance for a total of a couple weeks worth of snow. I realize you might say "well how's come you didn't get the N* if you didn't wanna sacrifice it". Lol. And I don't know. Lol. But anyway, my rear drive 3.6 is as quick as an AWD 4.6. Lol.

But I also live in the city now too with no daily need to ever venture out into the country side. This is the first winter for that. Lol. So I'm not as worried as if I still lived in the country.

dkozloski
11-30-12, 03:07 PM
I kind of wish I had gotten an AWD model for the winter but I really didn't want to sacrifice performance for a total of a couple weeks worth of snow. I realize you might say "well how's come you didn't get the N* if you didn't wanna sacrifice it". Lol. And I don't know. Lol. But anyway, my rear drive 3.6 is as quick as an AWD 4.6. Lol.

But I also live in the city now too with no daily need to ever venture out into the country side. This is the first winter for that. Lol. So I'm not as worried as if I still lived in the country.I don't feel like I lost any performance with AWD. The launch at the stoplight grand prix is brutal. I had a 3.6L CTS and my STS AWD V8 would blow the doors off of it. The difference in torque is remarkable.

GreaseMonkey
11-30-12, 03:11 PM
It's not an absolute must, unless your current tires are summer performance tires. Good all seasons will do just fine in the winter. In a few inches of snow, I get along just fine in my RWD CTS. After a certain point snow will get too deep to make any difference what tires you have when it comes to the ground clearance of a car.

They do make a big difference though, and are great to have. If you do get them, you MUST get all four. Putting them only on the rear will severely affect handling, because you'll have two very different rubber compounds on the front to rear.

1BadCadSTS
11-30-12, 03:21 PM

But I also live in the city now too with no daily need to ever venture out into the country side. This is the first winter for that. Lol. So I'm not as worried as if I still lived in the country.

I'd line my awd STS against a rwd v6 anyday. 3.23 gears and awd I hook right up and go. Just saying. Rwd 1as / 1sb is like 2.71 something absurd like that.

curtc
11-30-12, 04:07 PM
But anyway, my rear drive 3.6 is as quick as an AWD 4.6. Lol.

I would argue that...My 3.6 CTS was pretty quick, but my RWD V8 would smoke it, easily...Can't imagine the AWD version being much slower....

Also can't imagine that 3.6 in a STS, the CTS was heavy enough.

truckinman
11-30-12, 04:26 PM
I would argue that...My 3.6 CTS was pretty quick, but my RWD V8 would smoke it, easily...Can't imagine the AWD version being much slower....

Also can't imagine that 3.6 in a STS, the CTS was heavy enough.

I'm just going by what I've read. I've read the awd is a full second slower than the rear wheel drive. That is N* Vs N* which puts it right around 6.9 for 0-60. Theoretically speaking. Which is about what the 3.6 will do it in. I think it's around 7 sec for 0-60.

dkozloski
11-30-12, 08:32 PM
0-60 means little at the stoplight GP. AWD hooks up and goes while RWD is still wheelhopping.

Tip:Don't brake check the car and build torque for the start. The torque limiting system pulls timing and kills performance. Hold the car at an idle with the brake, lift of the brake, mash the gas.

EChas3
11-30-12, 09:24 PM
My wife & I went head to head at a light and she had me by a car length at 100 yards. Hers is the RWD 2007. I could be wrong but I thought we launched even. :)

Remember, the AWD weighs 300 lbs more & has a lot of mechanical resistance. I might have a lower gear but she's got a closer shift first to second (out of six compared to my five).

1BadCadSTS
11-30-12, 10:50 PM
0-60 means little at the stoplight GP. AWD hooks up and goes while RWD is still wheelhopping.

Tip:Don't brake check the car and build torque for the start. The torque limiting system pulls timing and kills performance. Hold the car at an idle with the brake, lift of the brake, mash the gas.

I had the torque management eliminated on mine. Love being tuned!

----------

My wife & I went head to head at a light and she had me by a car length at 100 yards. Hers is the RWD 2007. I could be wrong but I thought we launched even. :)

Remember, the AWD weighs 300 lbs more & has a lot of mechanical resistance. I might have a lower gear but she's got a closer shift first to second (out of six compared to my five).

You also went n* to n*. This is v6 to n*

truckinman
11-30-12, 11:32 PM

I'm the last guy you need to explain the diff between AWD and rear wheel drive at a stop light. Lol. My last grand had automatic 4wd and with 320 torque it took off the line like a bat outa hell. I'm just talking straight up acceleration.

----------

I had the torque management eliminated on mine. Love being tuned!

----------

You also went n* to n*. This is v6 to n*

I'd REALLY like to put a 3.6 against an AWD n* bc although I'm sure the 6 would lose, I'd bet itd be closer then some think. Between a 2wd 6 and a 2wd 8, there's maybe 0.8 sec difference for 0-60. So if EChas3 raced his AWD 8 against a 2wd 8 and he lost by a car length, well I'd bet it would t be a car length between the AWD 8 and a 2wd 6. And on hot pavement, I can stomp on the gas with out breaking any traction, so there goes the "AWD hooks up while RWD is sitting at line spinning" concept. That'd give a pretty fair comparison between the two

I kinda raced a buddy in his 1993 ford ranger splash right after I got my STS. Now, obviously my STS with 255 hp and 252 torque is significantly faster than a nearly 20 year old pick up with 140 hp. But it didn't feel I was pulling that much on him. But in all reality I'm sure the STS should be about 1.5-2 seconds quicker than his truck.

What I'm getting to this; if chas was a car length down, that really doesn't leave THAT much cushion between the AWD 8 and 2wd 6.

And when I had my Lexus GS400, a 5.7 sec 0-60 car, my buddy with his 01 trans am WS6 which was nearly a whole sec faster to 60, and playing with lower numbers to boot, meaning should be more noticeable than two cars racing where one hits 60 in 8 seconds while the other does it in 7.1. But, it wasn't as much a blood bath as we thought. Up to 100 mph, there may have been 1.5 car lengths I'd say.

All im saying is I'd be willing to bet, it wouldn't be quite the blood bath some may think between my 2wd 6 and a AWD 8. Yes I'm sure I'd lose but I'd bet it would be by less than a car length, assuming the pavement is hot enough my tires grip well enough to get a good hook up for launch. Just saying. Lol

Jesda
12-01-12, 12:03 AM
You know, a beater 4WD vehicle isn't such a bad idea for deep snow or people who live in more remote areas, but for normal roads that get plowed on occasion, Blizzaks on your Cadillac are the way to go.

Pjazz
12-01-12, 01:19 AM
I bought some Michelin ice x tires 3 years ago about 800 mounted and balanced on 18s. Tires will probably last 3 or 4 more years. I drive past trucks in snow storms. If I bought a jeep for that money I probably would have spent 2k on repairs by now.

ted tcb
12-01-12, 09:18 AM
I always ran matched snow tires on my FWD STS'.
I still run four matched snows on both of our daily drivers.

I don't really see the extra expense. I change the tires over myself, so there are no fees there.
My all season tires now last twice as long, because they are only on for about 7 months.
When I switch over my wheels/tires, it gives me a chance to inspect the brakes and suspension.
It also gives me the opportunity to clean and wax my summer wheels thoroughly.

The biggest benefit, other than safety, is my wheels look like new on my older cars.

Salt corrosion up here in Ontario is intense on alloy wheels.
On one of my cars, I run black steelies with hubcaps.
On the other car, I run used OEM rims with TPMS sensors.

I'm done with having my wheels refinished at a cost of $150 per wheel, solely due to salt damage.

I've run about a dozen different sets of snow tires due to flipping vehicles too often, and my favorite for quietness, smoothness, and feel would be Blizzaks. There is no tire roar as you come to a stop, and they are almost as quiet as all seasons.

Our roads have a constant layer of ice on them for about 5 months, so I value stickiness over deep snow
traction, and the Blizzaks do the trick for me.