: New Gforce 1-piece driveshaft (pics)

LS6Steve
11-29-12, 01:04 AM
Installed today. Pretty unit. Love getting rid of the movement that a bad stock unit has in the carrier bearing (even before it really goes bad, it still has its speed ranges that it oscillates in the carrier). This smoothed out the ride significantly. There is a bit more feedback felt due to the billet coupler, but not much.

I had to do a few things to make it fit with the UUC shifter, including adding about 3/16" of shim washers under the transmission brace to lower the rear of the transmission a bit, and also had to grind the edges off the bottom of the UUC to help the 3rd/4th gear positions clear the balancing weight which sits directly under the shifter. Plenty of exhaust clearance now with this 3.5" unit.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/LS1Steve/asldkpoiu.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/LS1Steve/dfhpiunp.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/LS1Steve/dsfipiouhg.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/LS1Steve/dflakjlkj.jpg

lilgCTS-V
11-29-12, 09:24 AM
very nice piece.

nvthev
11-29-12, 11:25 AM
Nice!

OneFast V
11-29-12, 11:32 AM
Installed today. Pretty unit. Love getting rid of the movement that a bad stock unit has in the carrier bearing (even before it really goes bad, it still has its speed ranges that it oscillates in the carrier). This smoothed out the ride significantly. There is a bit more feedback felt due to the billet coupler, but not much.

I had to do a few things to make it fit with the UUC shifter, including adding about 3/16" of shim washers under the transmission brace to lower the rear of the transmission a bit, and also had to grind the edges off the bottom of the UUC to help the 3rd/4th gear positions clear the balancing weight which sits directly under the shifter. Plenty of exhaust clearance now with this 3.5" unit.

I'm guessing you finally got the engine rebuilt?

LS6Steve
11-29-12, 05:40 PM
SOME TIME LATER yes!!! All 8 cylinders back in action

hXc95SLS
11-29-12, 07:50 PM
How much did it set you back?

verywhitedevil
11-30-12, 10:03 AM
yup. put mine in three weeks ago. LOVE IT. got rid of most of the remaining clunk. second best mod I ever did.

had to shim my tranny crossmember brace two washers to get my Katech SS clear, too. still need to check it as it was a TIGHT FIT.

FoD
11-30-12, 10:10 AM
Hmm...anyone have to modify Brian's (PISNUOFF) short shifter for one of these Driveshafts? I am in need of a new one as mine is squealing like crazy...damn annoying! I was going to go with either this DS, or one from the DriveshaftShop since they are local to me. I believe the DSS one is a lighter, stronger 2-piece though, so unsure of any fitment issues that might cause.

soulja
11-30-12, 12:35 PM
Nice LS6Steve!!

Now I see why you are sending my driveshaft back..lol!

LS6Steve
11-30-12, 01:03 PM
Hmm...anyone have to modify Brian's (PISNUOFF) short shifter for one of these Driveshafts? I am in need of a new one as mine is squealing like crazy...damn annoying! I was going to go with either this DS, or one from the DriveshaftShop since they are local to me. I believe the DSS one is a lighter, stronger 2-piece though, so unsure of any fitment issues that might cause.

You'll likely be fine with some modification. Between grinding excess metal on the bottom of the shifter stick, and shimming the trans crossmember as Verywhitedevil did as well, you can get it to fit.

----------

yup. put mine in three weeks ago. LOVE IT. got rid of most of the remaining clunk. second best mod I ever did.

had to shim my tranny crossmember brace two washers to get my Katech SS clear, too. still need to check it as it was a TIGHT FIT.

Do you notice any speeds with a bit of noise? I get a VERY low hum when coasting/decelerating between 55-65mph. Super low frequency, sounds like a subwoofer playing about a 40Hz hum. Completely tolerable, just wondering.

FoD
11-30-12, 02:38 PM
How much was S&H? It won't quote me until I go through the checkout process, and I'm lazy...don't want to type all that in. :)

verywhitedevil
11-30-12, 04:08 PM
FOD - was able to get free shipping

LS6Steve - will have to check. I have UUC diff bushing, so it has whined for some time. I actually feel right now it is as quiet as its been in a long time. not sure if I will/can differentiate between the two. I was just so happy the clunk is basically gone.

the car is at the shop right now getting custom stainless steel 3" exhaust from the headers to new muffs & tips. I will do some more spirited driving when I get it back.

FoD
11-30-12, 04:13 PM
Able to get free shipping...by spending a certain amount, or cause you're the shit?

LS6Steve
11-30-12, 05:43 PM
My shipping (drop ship from Dynotech in Michigan) to CA was only $17

verywhitedevil
11-30-12, 10:33 PM
Able to get free shipping...by spending a certain amount, or cause you're the shit?

because I asked

darkman
12-01-12, 09:12 AM
Has anyone driven one of these aftermarket driveshafts above 160 miles per hour?

liqidvenom
12-02-12, 11:43 PM
^^^good question

verywhitedevil
12-02-12, 11:45 PM
there has been a G8 that has gone 180. same identical shaft.

KaMaSuTrA
12-06-12, 04:14 PM
This replaces the stock flex disc coupler with a billet version correct?

darkman
12-06-12, 07:15 PM
there has been a G8 that has gone 180. same identical shaft.

Given the stock rear gear ratio and tire size on a G8, 180 mph occurs at a lower drive-shaft rpm than 160 mph on a stock CTS-V.

verywhitedevil
12-06-12, 09:37 PM
they are quoting 150 - 160. I might go 185 and I will let you know if it fails. I am not concerned.

----------

yes. so far I am really liking the shaft. you do feel more in decelaration than before, but I can live with it.

----------

yes. so far I am really liking the shaft. you do feel more in decelaration than before, but I can live with it.

GFORCE1320
12-07-12, 10:57 PM
I'm glad everyone is loving the new shafts. They are a tight fit but are a huge improvement over the factory shaft.

The shifter is a real tight fit on the front boot, we just recently discovered that you can turn the shaft around and put the slip part to the back to gain more shifter clearance. At least this is what a customer called in and told us.
The shafts are designed to be installed with the slip assembly either on the front or the back. You just have to make sure the rubber sleeve isnt toughing a hot exhaust pipe somewhere.

Thanks
Chris

darkman
12-07-12, 11:01 PM
I'm glad everyone is loving the new shafts. They are a tight fit but are a huge improvement over the factory shaft.

The shifter is a real tight fit on the front boot, we just recently discovered that you can turn the shaft around and put the slip part to the back to gain more shifter clearance. At least this is what a customer called in and told us.
The shafts are designed to be installed with the slip assembly either on the front or the back. You just have to make sure the rubber sleeve isnt toughing a hot exhaust pipe somewhere.

Thanks
Chris

What is the Critical Speed in RPM on this shaft?

GFORCE1320
12-07-12, 11:11 PM
What is the Critical Speed in RPM on this shaft?

I'll have to get with Dynotech Monday to ask, these shafts don't share the same standard speed chart specs due to the articulating slip shaft style.

darkman
12-07-12, 11:22 PM
I'll have to get with Dynotech Monday to ask, these shafts don't share the same standard speed chart specs due to the articulating slip shaft style.

Okay, thanks.

darkman
12-10-12, 10:15 PM
In an e-mail response from Dynotech Engineering Services, they state:
"Based on our calculations the critical speed of the 3.5 Diameter shaft would be in the neighborhood of 6,100 Rpm and the 4.0 Diameter would be around 7,000 Rpm. Please keep in mind that these are only calculations and not actual measured values. Because the driveshaft is so long there is a real limit to what that style of driveshaft can take fro [sic] critical speed."

The 6,100 rpm and 7,000 rpm translate into about 130mph and 149mph, respectively for a CTS-V with stock-size rear tires (245/45/18) and rear gear ratio (3.73 to 1).

I8URSVT
12-10-12, 10:32 PM
so 160+ would be hit or miss?

verywhitedevil
12-11-12, 01:04 AM
I guess I should install a safety loop if I plan on doing 185. maybe weld in a protective plate, LOL. So what fails at 190?? the u joints? the shaft start warping out of control??

Mrs.LS6
12-11-12, 05:36 PM
Very nice!