: Heated Steering Wheel stopped working

Mrsanders3960
11-28-12, 10:51 AM
I have a 2008 STS 1SB 3.6 (60K on odometer) with heated steering wheel. I attempted to used this feature for the first time in several months this cold morning and the light would not come on and the wheel did not warm up. I have been searching and cannot locate where the fuse for this feature is in the car. Anyone ever had this issue, anything else I should be checking...any other advice?

Subsailor613
11-28-12, 12:04 PM
If you have a warranty, take it to the dealer,and have the Warranty repair this.
However,if not, the heaters on these Steering wheels are burning out,(Not Working)
as is mine, and need a new steering wheel installed,This is NOT the final word on this,
but many of them have failed, and dealer stock of these have dwindled,depending on
what color, and design.Good Luck. :cool2::cool2::cool2:

eatyoursandwich
11-28-12, 01:53 PM
I have a 2008 STS 1SB 3.6 (60K on odometer) with heated steering wheel. I attempted to used this feature for the first time in several months this cold morning and the light would not come on and the wheel did not warm up. I have been searching and cannot locate where the fuse for this feature is in the car. Anyone ever had this issue, anything else I should be checking...any other advice?

You and just about everyone else.

99% of the time, you have to replace the entire steering wheel which as subsailor said, dealer stock is pretty much zero.

carter's_sts
11-28-12, 02:01 PM
Junk yard might be your friend. The wheel is not made anymore.

curtc
11-28-12, 03:48 PM
On the bright side the one in my 06 still works :) knock on wood!

KRSTS
11-28-12, 05:57 PM
Mine failed and it took the dealer two months to locate one. This was a year and a half ago. I don't know where he got one because I was iniitially told there were none available. Mine was cashmere.

chazglenn3
11-28-12, 09:22 PM
I guess that I am blessed that my steering wheel is still working. I rarely turn the heat on, however.

ddalder
11-28-12, 10:11 PM
The fuse is located in a holder attached to the steering column. Start with this first and go from there.

----------

Junk yard might be your friend. The wheel is not made anymore.
Remember that there was a different wheel starting in the 2008 model year. It may not be as difficult to get one of these, depending on colour, wood/no wood and switch configuration.

KRSTS
11-29-12, 09:50 AM
The fuse is located in a holder attached to the steering column. Start with this first and go from there.

----------

Remember that there was a different wheel starting in the 2008 model year. It may not be as difficult to get one of these, depending on colour, wood/no wood and switch configuration.

As I said, I have a 2008 and was told there were no more wheels to be had a year and a half ago. If you have a savy, persistent dealer you may get lucky.

eatyoursandwich
11-29-12, 10:07 AM
As I said, I have a 2008 and was told there were no more wheels to be had a year and a half ago. If you have a savy, persistent dealer you may get lucky.

According to my dealer, they are required by law to manufacture or have enough inventory on hand for parts which could still be covered under the factory warranty - 5 years.

So basically, there are '08+ wheels out there, just not very many and it's going to take a pretty persistent dealer to find one.

ddalder
11-29-12, 02:38 PM
Understanding you had a problem, this may be unique to a specific product. GM currently lists 20 different part numbers for steering wheels used on the 2008 STS. They will undoubtedly have looked for the specific version for your car. I'm not convinced that there are none available, perhaps only specific versions. Since the steering wheels are sold with the controls, these different part numbers represent a variety of options (ie: Adaptive Cruise, Heated/Non-Heated, w/Wood Insert or w/o, colour, etc). The approach to a replacement needs to be made on a case by case basis. It may be entirely possible to purchase a wheel in the correct colour, without the correct switches, and transfer the old switches across (switches are also sold separately). Switch function isn't determined by the contols on the wheel, it is based on option settings in the IPM.

ddalder
11-30-12, 04:52 PM
I made an inquiry with my local GM parts department today, and as I suspected, some steering wheels are still available. There were two that came up under my VIN. Both leather, but one with wood and one without. Both show stock in the US. Unfortunately, they are very expensive. Canadian price is about $850.00 for either.

Call your dealer and get them to check availability based on your specific VIN.