: Borla Exhaust + Headers Question

rbsesq
11-27-12, 10:31 PM
Been trolling for awhile. Long time listener, first time caller here. Can't find anything after doing a search, so here goes:

I've got a 2007 with the Borla cat-back system. Looking to get some Kooks headers with the catted mid pipes. Unfortuantely, I'm stuck with City of Memphis emissions.

Does anyone on here know if I'll have any issues fitting the Kooks catted mids with the Borla? No other mods on the car except Predator canned tune and a shifter (don't know which one - it was put on by the previous owner but throws just fine).

One other question - I'm thinking of getting the Lingenfelter intake. Has anyone heard any issues with this? Do I need a TB too? Is it even worth it if I'm not going to do heads/cam/etc?

Would really like to hear anyone's thoughts on the set-up.

mberisha
11-28-12, 02:54 PM
Curious to see what info comes down the pipe...I have the Borla Cat-Back as well and looking at headers.....subscribed!

rbsesq
11-29-12, 10:24 PM
Wow, no one?

odthetruth
11-30-12, 02:31 AM
Is the Borla a direct bolt on from the stock cats? If so, I would suspect you might have to cut and weld.

darkman
11-30-12, 07:50 AM
Is the Borla a direct bolt on from the stock cats? If so, I would suspect you might have to cut and weld.

Yep, that sounds right. We know, for example, that Kooks headers will not bolt up to Magnaflow catbacks; and that Kooks will not bolt up to Corsa catbacks unless you get the Corsa Option mid-pipes as opposed to the OEM Option mid-pipes.

Any good exhaust shop can make it work for not a lot of money. Also, it could be that Kooks with Corsa Option mid-pipes would bolt up to the Borla since they both bolt up to the stock cats.

rand49er
11-30-12, 08:26 AM
... One other question - I'm thinking of getting the Lingenfelter intake. Has anyone heard any issues with this? Do I need a TB too? Is it even worth it if I'm not going to do heads/cam/etc? ...Darkman has you covered on the Kooks/Borla issue.

IMHO, you've got a 90 TB, and unless you're putting some monstrous FI unit on there you should be good. Instead of the intake and assuming you've got the CAGS eliminated and have done your shifter, I'd personally recommend a Ground Control lowering kit as much for looks as for handling. But, that's just me.

shadybx7
11-30-12, 12:56 PM
find a good Lsx tuner in your area. headers are just a sound mod untill you get a tune. might as well do everything at once and then get it tuned.. plan it out you will save $ in the long run

HAMSTAR
11-30-12, 01:32 PM
find a good Lsx tuner in your area. headers are just a sound mod untill you get a tune. might as well do everything at once and then get it tuned.. plan it out you will save $ in the long run

Good advice. I would add that when I had installed 1 7/8 headers and Lingenfelter CAI, I lost a TON of torque down low. When I finally took it to get tuned, the tuner found that air flow had been so dramatically improved that the car was running dangerously lean. After the tune, I got everything back down low and more up high, but most importantly I wasn't running around with a dangerously lean engine.