: Remote start

maiahsdad
11-27-12, 06:28 PM
My remote start suddenly is not working. My phone is, it's because my check engine indicator has just come on a couple of days ago. The car is running fine.

It's very cold here now in Indianapolis, and I need my remote start to work. Is there a way that I can turn off the check engine indicator, so this can operate?

Mullah88
11-27-12, 06:36 PM
lol my light is on too and cant remote start either...i think you'll have to fix whatever the issue thats making the light go off

dkozloski
11-27-12, 06:48 PM
If the CEL is on you need to get the codes read out and find out what the trouble is. That's what the light is for.

Greg00coupe
11-27-12, 09:48 PM
Go to autozone or whatever parts store and get the code. They tell me by law....must be a dealer deal they can no longer reset the light. In my case it was as simple as the gas cap had crapped out. When you look at the cap it does have a weird design and plastic breaks. BUT it took a number of miles for the light to reset itself. Not sure if it was a miles or crank issue but after about 2 or 3 weeks the light went off. Good luck

ddalder
11-27-12, 10:17 PM
Almost all codes that self reset are based on the number of ignition cycles since the last detected fault. Different codes have a different number of prescribed successful cycles before it will reset.

caddyvirgin
11-28-12, 01:04 AM
This actually happened to me today try disconnecting the battery terminals and touching them together for 5 seconds. The cel is gone and the remote start once again works. Good luck

truckinman
11-28-12, 05:24 AM
This actually happened to me today try disconnecting the battery terminals and touching them together for 5 seconds. The cel is gone and the remote start once again works. Good luck

Yea. Good idea. Ignore the CEL. It's like a debt collector. You can ignore the phone calls, but it's only gonna get worse and much more costly

Go get the light checked out. As another already stated, it's on for a reason. It doesn't just decide one day that it wants to make your life inconvenient so you've actually gotta go outside to start your car.

Ludacrisvp
11-28-12, 06:59 AM
...It doesn't just decide one day that it wants to make your life inconvenient...
Really? I thought that was the whole point of it. There must be someone in the OnStar center trolling the check engine lights in cars that don't have an active OnStar sub. :)

truckinman
11-28-12, 08:08 AM
Really? I thought that was the whole point of it. There must be someone in the OnStar center trolling the check engine lights in cars that don't have an active OnStar sub. :)

I know. Contrary to popular belief, right?

maiahsdad
11-08-13, 06:57 AM
Is there a way that I can set my run time longer when I use my remote start? It's really cold here now, and it will only run for a few minutes. It seems that there's some sensor that lets it know when the frost is off the windshield. But its still cold inside.

Neutrocuted
11-08-13, 07:51 AM
You can start it a second time after it stops automatically after 10 mins., but not a third time or you can go through the full sequence after it starts remotely to add 10 minutes. Page 2-10 in the manual.

maiahsdad
12-16-13, 09:42 AM
You can start it a second time after it stops automatically after 10 mins., but not a third time or you can go through the full sequence after it starts remotely to add 10 minutes. Page 2-10 in the manual. for some reason, even though I complete the process twice according to the manual, it will still only run 10 minutes and shut down. I'm not sure why.

Guy.Seminerio
12-16-13, 09:21 PM
The remote start feature provides two separate starts, each with 10 minutes of engine running. If you press the lock button and then hold the remote start button on the keyless access transmitter again for at least three seconds before the first 10 minutes of engine running time has expired, 10 minutes is added to the remaining minutes. For example, if the remote start is initiated again after five minutes of the engine run time, 10 minutes is added and you now have 15 minutes with the engine running. Once two remote starts or 20 minutes of the engine running have been provided, the vehicle must be started using the keyless access with pushbutton start feature, if the engine needs to be restarted. See Starting the Engine on page 113 for more information regarding the keyless ignition.

That's straight from the manual. You're either not holding the button for the full 3 seconds or you're starting the car and then immediately trying to add 10 minutes. In other words, you start the car and then give the lock button a tap and hold the start button. Assuming you added 10 minutes one minute after you started it, you'll end up with 11.

To get the longest run time you would have to add the 10 minutes just before the car was getting ready to shut off from the initial 10 minutes. So if the car was running for 9 minutes and you did it again, you'd get another 10, making it 19 minutes.

Easiest way to put is is once you add 10 minutes, the initial 10 minutes ends and the 10 you just added start ticking away.

Is that clear?

STS 2005
12-27-13, 01:33 PM
You have the option of getting an aftermarket system installed. My wife did that not for length of running but so it could be started a mile away like checking out in the store. And for a remote temp to see if it is warm in the car to be able to start it and run A/C for the dog waiting.

There are ones that start with a smart phone but there is an annual fee.