: cts v 8.8 problems

greg12m3
11-27-12, 02:31 PM
I'm hearing a clanging, clunking sorta noise, it sounds as if it's from the diff. Any ideas on what this could be?

I only hear this when letting off the clutch in reverse and first.

I checked all bolts and everything is tight, The car drives great, a vibrations here and there but thats probably due to creative steels cover touching my subframe for some reason. this doesn't seem related to this though.

So i know for sure i have to shave down the rear cover, i also think i should re check the splined section of the driveshaft where the two pieces connect. When i used the zerk fitting it didn't seem like much grease went it, i kinda dissmissed it at the time but could that thing needing grease cause this kinda of noise? I don't think it could.

I think what might of happened is the crush sleeve in the diff got crushed more either through launching, wheel hop or burnouts. I haven't had a chance to pull off the driveshaft and check the pinion but does this sound possible? I would think if the pinion can move then the clangling would but it loading up against the ring gear.

Tomorrow i'll be able to pull the diff and shave down the cover and also inspect the pinion.

heres a video of what i'm hearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J77KnjyLc2g&list=UU2FjJp5cfERhzWEBqkG7dhA&index=1&feature=plcp

Skidmarcx
11-27-12, 07:39 PM
If you have the TrueTrac center carrier then get used to the noise it comes free with the package... If its the Cobra center carrier then maybe others can chime in with their experience

greg12m3
11-28-12, 06:47 AM
If you have the TrueTrac center carrier then get used to the noise it comes free with the package... If its the Cobra center carrier then maybe others can chime in with their experience

:( i have the cobra center carrier i believe, i bought a used 03 cobra diff w/25k on it. Im assuming that is the torsen carrier

greg12m3
11-28-12, 01:59 PM
Problem solved! i shaved down the cover a bit and now my sound is gone.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/Greg12m3/CTS%20V/276716BA-BB0B-4D01-845D-45ED062B3F5F-568-000000958C9CC643.jpg

jmargo
11-28-12, 02:08 PM
How did you lower the center section ? Did you pull the axles or just lower it a bit ?

Thanks

greg12m3
11-28-12, 07:48 PM
I took the exhaust off, took the driveshaft off and then lowered the diff with the axles attached. Same way people do the diff bushing on the stock diff.