: Leather protectant

Chardo
11-27-12, 02:30 PM
I have a 2010 with titanium leather, which has held up well. Looking to get a 2013 in shale, which looks rather light. Any recommendations for protecting the leather and preserving that color?

sube5186
11-27-12, 09:05 PM
I have the shale interior myself. It's really no lighter than titanium. It's just a different shade. Don't believe me? Take a gray scale (B&W) pic of both colors and then examine them side by side. You won't be able to tell them apart. As far as leather conditions/cleaners, Lexol is pretty much the industry standard amongst pros. I've actually seen it on the shelves of upscale detailing shops. In all honesty, the best thing you can do to preserve the color and postpone cracking is to simply avoid sunlight whenever possible. The rays of the sun are the most damaging thing for your leather. Think about this for a minute. Leather furniture in your home will last decades without cracking or fading, and most people never condition their furniture. What's the only difference? You guessed it. Home furniture is shielded from the sun. So the bottom line is this. If you have a garage, use it. When it's not being driven, my car lives in the garage. If you don't have a garage, consider window tinting. Personally, I don't like the reduced visibility at night. However, some people don't mine this. Also, whenever the sun is out, never park with the Ultraview shade open.

http://www.lexol.com/Category_leather.aspx

Sube

NJRonbo
11-28-12, 07:41 AM
I use Lexol or the brand purchased from Griot's Garage (website).

Both brands are great, but alas, I never really had luck with leather protectant. I am probably applying it wrong.

I use the cream version (rather than spray) and I always get those small clumps of cream in the tiny dotted inserts in the seats.

Likely
11-28-12, 11:55 AM
I have the shale/brownstone interior, I use meguires leather cleaner/conditioner. It has worked well for me. Have used it for many years..
No problems. Would recommend it for sure. I use the spray and microfiber towel....I live in the hot part of Arizona. As sube says, sun is the main problem for leather....

hambone8
11-29-12, 01:42 AM
I third the Lexol. I applied some to all leather surfaces after delivery.

48548m
11-29-12, 09:57 AM
I also like the stuff from griots garage. Works great for me and the smell is nice as well. At one time they had a boars hair brush that I use to remove the conditioner from the perforated holes in cooled seats. I really like the leather rejuvenater.