: Service tire monitor

rivgal1964
11-27-12, 01:16 PM
we have this message come up service tire monitor...we thought it was the sensor in the tire RR but when my husband changed to the snow tires the same message for the same tire comes up...any suggestions?

KRSTS
11-27-12, 01:40 PM
Bad module not sensor

Subsailor613
11-27-12, 01:47 PM
What's the difference between Module and Sensor ?
Thanks

curtc
11-27-12, 05:09 PM
The module receives the signal from the sensors in the wheels.

To the OP, was the sensor and or battery for the sensor replaced when the snow tires were mounted?

rivgal1964
11-27-12, 06:02 PM
all I know is this, we bought the car 2 years ago and the rims were nasty so we ordered a set (4) snow tires and brand new rims from the states...they installed the sensors for an additional $25/tire...I noticed that the service tire monitor message came up with the summer tires and when my hubby put on the winters the same message came up again, so in answer to your question no I don't think anything different was done than what I just described....

Tourist
11-27-12, 06:09 PM
If your husband mounted the snow tires on the same rims as the summer tires (in the same locations) the problem is probably just a wheel sensor. If there are different rims for summer and winter and he had the system "relearn" the wheels and the problem is in the same location it is probably the module.

rivgal1964
11-27-12, 06:16 PM
sounds like the module then, we have a set of rims on winter tires and a set of summers on their own rims...I am almost 110% sure that it is the same location though

dkozloski
11-27-12, 06:23 PM
You need to take the car to a tire shop with a TPMS analyzer such as a Kent-Moore J46079. This unit will verify that each TPMS sensor at each wheel works properly and will also simulate wheel sensors to verify that the TPMS RCVR module works. It's hard to believe that any tire shop other than a Beevis and Butthead dirt floor operation wouldn't have one of these or something similar. I got mine off Ebay.

Greg00coupe
11-27-12, 10:51 PM
when this message comes up you should cycle through the message information to see IF one of the sensors is not working. That is when you do a tire pressure check, if all the sensors are not working then it is the module as described above. If 3 sensors are working and a 4th is not then it is a sensor issue.

curtc
11-27-12, 11:00 PM
when this message comes up you should cycle through the message information to see IF one of the sensors is not working. That is when you do a tire pressure check, if all the sensors are not working then it is the module as described above. If 3 sensors are working and a 4th is not then it is a sensor issue.

That is how I understand it...it is either 1 or both of my front sensors that decide to randomly not communicate.

ddalder
11-27-12, 11:14 PM
There is no specific TPMS module in the North American STS, as such. European cars have a receiver near each wheel, but the North American STS combines this functionality into the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver. Sensors are a far more likely suspect. As was suggested, go to a shop with the correct tools to diagnose this. Understanding the error message is also important. I have had the message "Service Tire Monitor" and it was because a bad sensor had not communicated with the RCDLR within a prescribed distance.

Also, keep in mind that in vehicles where sensors have not been replaced, they were all likely manufactured at/near the same time. I am not surprised to hear about multiple sensor failures within a short time frame. The current draw and batteries are virtually the same in each one.

Sensors also do not constantly transmit. The are activate by centrifugal motion and transmit periodically. This is how they can last so long with a single battery.

dkozloski
11-28-12, 12:30 PM
This is a five minute job for anybody with the right test set. Why fight it?

dkozloski
11-28-12, 02:29 PM
This is a five minute job for anybody with the right test set. Why fight it?

----------

There must be an echo in here.