: Mobil 1 Extended Performance

N8860
11-26-12, 07:36 PM
2007 STS (50,000 miles) due for oil change. Any thoughts on using Mobil 1 Extended Performance for additional milage between changes. Oil changes average 7000 miles using regular Mobil 1 Synthetic. Service performed at Cadillac dealership so I realize oil price will be at a premium.

EChas3
11-26-12, 09:48 PM
KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple

Use the GM Spec oil for your engine. I know that regular Mobil1 has the GM Spec for the V8 but I don't have my manual handy for the others. Change the oil when the OLM reaches 0 (or at your preference).

curtc
11-26-12, 10:32 PM
KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple

Use the GM Spec oil for your engine. I know that regular Mobil1 has the GM Spec for the V8 but I don't have my manual handy for the others. Change the oil when the OLM reaches 0 (or at your preference).

:yeah:

ddalder
11-26-12, 10:46 PM
Too many people forget that it isn't just about the oil. Lesser quality filters may not function adequately, or may experience a catastrophic failure if they are used beyond their designed life-cycle. Some brands I won't even consider.

I'm all about being environmentally responsible (please ignore the N* part of my vehicle info). But really, I don't buy into changing oil every 5,000 km anymore. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd jump ship to another strategy that strays away from the Oil Life Monitor. How would you determine the new useful oil life? The computer factors in certain operating parameters and the algorithm is based on the "recommended oil". The engine has no way of detecting a different product so you won't see any change in your oil life monitor. For this reason, I have no idea how you'd determine what a "safe" interval is.

KRSTS
11-26-12, 11:23 PM
Use of any oil other than that specified in the owner's manual can void the PT warranty

PzNuts
11-27-12, 01:58 PM
I would keep using good ole Mobil1 synthetic changing oil/filter every 5k miles (personal preference). You should really consider doing your own oil changes because this car has to be one of the easiest ones to change, at least the ones with the V6. The drain plug is simple to get to and the oil filter is even easier!

curtc
11-27-12, 02:22 PM
For me to do it myself (N*= 8QTS of Mobil1) it would cost approx. $60-$65+tax for oil+filter, not to mention the time and energy it takes to jack up the car and crawl under it.

For the local GM dealer to do it...$74

They can do it for that difference....

ddalder
11-27-12, 08:33 PM
Agreed. I won't mess around getting the car off the ground, draining and refilling, then having to environmentally dispose of the oil and filter. It just isn't worth my time, or the money. I won't knock anyone for taking the initiative to do this, but my interest is in spending time on comfort and convenience mods/upgrades, minimally on the mechanical end.

curtc
11-27-12, 09:58 PM
Agreed. I won't mess around getting the car off the ground, draining and refilling, then having to environmentally dispose of the oil and filter. It just isn't worth my time, or the money. I won't knock anyone for taking the initiative to do this, but my interest is in spending time on comfort and convenience mods/upgrades, minimally on the mechanical end.

:thumbsup:

fly187
11-28-12, 08:54 AM
The only guarntee is from Mobil 1 on the extended performance. Would be an extreme hassil to get them to warranty motor repairs or replacement for the cost differance in the oil. Keep using Mobil1 full synthetic. Also, like one has suggested. Change the oil yourself, it's to easy not to, and you save money. Two, I don't buy the Mobil 1 filter. I buy cheap WIX filter and change the filter at 60% and change the oil and filter at 30%. Engine is clean and runs like a champ at 100k miles.

Subsailor613
11-28-12, 12:15 PM
You don't mention if you have the V6 or the V8 ! I understand the location of the filter is different for each.
The V8 filter NEEDS one which has a check valve internally, to prevent the oil from draining while sitting.
This prevents oiless starts on the top end. the little you are saving on the difference in filter costs,
COULD cost you in the long run. Mobile One Extended Preformance IS a full Synthethic, and MEETS
the GM Spec for the Cadillac Engine (Sheriff's Badge) IT is still Mobile ONE and therefore recommended.
If Mobile One MEETS Cadillac Spec for 15,000 miles, that's GOOD enough for me. Good Luck. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Aurora5000
12-02-12, 01:45 PM
I have used Mobil 1 in 1996 Aurora 50k, 2004 cts 58k, 2006 STS 59k. I use ONLY the one with a GOLD CAP. I run my cars anywhere 10 to 15K miles on the 2 cars with no problems. Have used Mobile 1 filters but trying out the WIX filters, Autozone. The oil can take it, dont worry about how dirty it is, that lets you know the oil is cleaning the engine. I have used the Mobil 1 since 1996.

:2thumbs:

ddalder
12-02-12, 02:21 PM
You don't mention if you have the V6 or the V8 ! I understand the location of the filter is different for each.
The V8 filter NEEDS one which has a check valve internally, to prevent the oil from draining while sitting.
The V8 filter sits vertically, not horizontally. I would expect that a filter sitting on its side is more likely to drain.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2002/09/05/146931.1-lg.jpg

1BadCadSTS
12-02-12, 03:33 PM
Delco filter only for me. Pf61e I believe.

ddalder
12-02-12, 03:45 PM
Personally, I use the K&N, HP-2006 along with Mobil1.

Subsailor613
12-02-12, 06:18 PM
Good Point, Except this is MY story, I used WIX and FRAM filters and noticed, when starting it up,
the valves clattered, I did research, and found the Mobile 1, with the check valve, and the problelm,
Never showed up again, so I am sticking with Mobile 1 filters, to use with Mobile 1 Synthethic Oil !

Submariner409
12-02-12, 06:24 PM
Good Point, Except this is MY story, I used WIX and FRAM filters and noticed, when starting it up,
the valves clattered, I did research, and found the Mobile 1, with the check valve, and the problelm,
Never showed up again, so I am sticking with Mobile 1 filters, to use with Mobile 1 Synthethic Oil !

Curious - the WIX 51522 for my Northstar uses an anti-drainback check valve in the tapping plate.

Here's some fun homework ...........be sure to click on the other link at the very bottom of the page for even more mind-bending oil and filter fun.....

(http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html)http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Subsailor613
12-04-12, 05:57 PM
I Never GOT to the 5 digit WIXes!
Excellent article for ALL to read...Thx 409. :halo:

Platinum06
12-04-12, 08:35 PM
Delco filter and 5w-30 Mobil 1 every 50%

Platinum06
12-05-12, 03:08 PM
Im going to eat my words.
After doing a search on Oil Filters. The Mobil 1 and K&N rated pretty high. The new Delco filters are junk.