: Third Brake Light Wiring?

micadi
11-26-12, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone,

My third brake light does not work intermittently. After taking the third light off of the truck, it seems that the problem is a pinched wire inside the tailgate rather than the LED unit being bad. If I straighten the wire out and plug in my light, it works fine, when I put the wire back inside, the light stops working. I have searched for the wiring and cannot seem to find a part number. Does anyone have any tips or experience replacing the wiring?

the cadillac man
11-26-12, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone,

My third brake light does not work intermittently. After taking the third light off of the truck, it seems that the problem is a pinched wire inside the tailgate rather than the LED unit being bad. If I straighten the wire out and plug in my light, it works fine, when I put the wire back inside, the light stops working. I have searched for the wiring and cannot seem to find a part number. Does anyone have any tips or experience replacing the wiring?

You may be able to get the wiring harness from the dealer or a junkyard not sure if the part is the same on a Tahoe and Yukon or not but most likely they are

Most junk yards have a system that if they don't have it they can get it from another yard

Also make sure it can't get pinched when you replace it most likely it is from use of the hatch over the years twisting the wiring and breaking it inside the plastic cover

6lbsofSound
11-26-12, 10:10 PM
Cut and replace the bad section. It sounds like it shorting out.

mikedyk43
11-26-12, 11:25 PM
The easiest fix is just cut out the bad section of wire and replace it with a wire of the same size (gauge). If you aren't familiar with doing this, you can take it anywhere that installs car stereos and/or car alarms and they will take care of it. By the way, not a short, just a break.

Logandiagnostic
11-27-12, 12:54 PM
It should be noted....the third brake light is on a different fused circuit then the lower brake/tail lights. So it is common to have "lower brake lights working...no third brake light."

The problem can certainly be the lamp pigtail. The problem can equally be inside the lamp itself. It's a known failure mode inside the lamp.

www.ledfix.com

micadi
11-27-12, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I will cut out the bad wiring and replace it. @Logandiagnosic: I feel like in my case it is a wire issue as when I straighten the wires out the light works fine. If its not I will definitely be sending it in to you guys.

the cadillac man
11-27-12, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I will cut out the bad wiring and replace it. @Logandiagnosic: I feel like in my case it is a wire issue as when I straighten the wires out the light works fine. If its not I will definitely be sending it in to you guys.

Also if you tow a lot check the fuse for the trailer kit as it is on the same fuse should you lose all use of the light.