: oil level message

scottm
12-21-04, 03:21 PM
Could there be any other reason other than a bad oil level sensor? Check oil level message keeps coming on with the engine full. 96 sts. This message does not reflect oil pressure does it? is it expensive to replace the sensor if that is what it is?
scottm

Ranger
12-21-04, 08:52 PM
The sensor is for oil level only and has nothing to do with pressure. It is easily accessable on the left side of the oil pan (front of the car). Shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Spyder
12-21-04, 09:29 PM
Yea, that'll be quick and easy...the oil pressure sender is a different one, and if you had an oil problem, that'd probably tell you. good luck!

Hason560
12-22-04, 12:54 PM
yeah i just had mine replaced and cadillac it was like 79 bucks total parts and labor. you could do it your self for probley half that but i fifgured they are under there fixing al the other stuff whats an extra 79

96 STS
12-22-04, 10:35 PM
Hey Hason560, how long ago did you have yours replaced? Do you still have the receipt? I'm having the same problem with my Seville & want to replace the sensor myself.

If you still have the shop paperwork, can you check if it shows the part number for the sensor? I've looked around at different websites, but can't find it. And I don't really want to call the dealer here because I always get put on hold & it ends up taking 30-40 minutes just to get a part number & price. Very bad service here.

Thanks,
96 STS

BeelzeBob
12-22-04, 11:18 PM
Could there be any other reason other than a bad oil level sensor? Check oil level message keeps coming on with the engine full. 96 sts. This message does not reflect oil pressure does it? is it expensive to replace the sensor if that is what it is?
scottm

Could be the connector at the sensor if it is dirty or full of moisture but likely it is the sensor itself. It removes from the side of the oil pan. You might loose a little oil but if you are quick it won't be much as the sensor level is very near the top of the oil in the sump.

Cruella Deville 96
04-11-05, 03:54 PM
I just replaced the oil level sensor/switch on my 96 Deville Northstar. The job was so easy!!! The hardest part was to find the part! I finally found it at NAPA - Echlin #FLS109. This is the same as BorgWarner S8115. Borg & Echlim are the same company now.
Jack up Cad securely, drain all of that quality oil into a clean pan, carefully disconnect connector wire going to the sensor with a small screwdriver, unthread sensor using a 1-1/8" open end wrench and remove completely. (Note: There is just exactly enough space allowed to get the part out! No need to remove any other parts!)

Carefully thread in the new sensor and BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER-TIGHTEN!!! The big wrench gives you way more leverage than you realize!!!

Plug connector in to new sensor. Refill oil. Check for leaks.

Take test drive and wife to dinner.

Scott.