: Gas Tank Problems 1976 Calais

carolinamic
11-26-12, 04:09 PM
I have a 1976 Cadillac Calais that that I'm trying to restore and now that most of the engine work is complete i'm moving to the fuel system and I discovered that the fuel tank in bad condition. I took the tank to the local radiator shop and they told me that its not worth being reconditioned. I also called a tankrenu dealer and they told me that it may cost any where from 375-500 dollars. I wasn't wanting to pay that much so its a last option.

My main question is whats the difference between a fuel tank for a 1977 DeVille (non fuel injected) and 1976 Calais (non fuel injected) because I can find those all day long on the internet but nothing for a 1976.

Thanks in advance.

cadillac kevin
11-26-12, 05:34 PM
I have a 1976 Cadillac Calais that that I'm trying to restore and now that most of the engine work is complete i'm moving to the fuel system and I discovered that the fuel tank in bad condition. I took the tank to the local radiator shop and they told me that its not worth being reconditioned. I also called a tankrenu dealer and they told me that it may cost any where from 375-500 dollars. I wasn't wanting to pay that much so its a last option.

My main question is whats the difference between a fuel tank for a 1977 DeVille (non fuel injected) and 1976 Calais (non fuel injected) because I can find those all day long on the internet but nothing for a 1976.

Thanks in advance.

The 77s were the first year of the downsized cadillac, so I doubt the tank would be the same as the 76.
I think 70 or 71-76 were the same though for the deville/ fleetwood.

talismandave
11-26-12, 09:54 PM
Someone recently posted that they had a tank for an early 70 Cadillac for sale here. they pulled it to restore and then found a good one and were going to restore and sell the old one. You might go back a couple pages in parts for sale and see if it was there.

Edit; sorry false alarm, after going through the parts thread I recognized this, I doubt it would be the same,http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/classic-cadillac-forum/274825-1973-cadillac-eldorado-gas-tank-sale.html

DouglasJRizzo
11-27-12, 07:25 AM
My advice would be to search for 1971-76 with emphasis on 74-76. The 77 was different, the chassis was completely redesigned.

carolinamic
11-27-12, 01:57 PM
Cool and thanks everyone for their input. I make sure to keep you all informed on how it turns out.

CADforce69
11-28-12, 12:15 PM
You may take a look at http://www.usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php cheking their online catalog.

77 tank fits only for 1977-79. Only way seems repairing or reconditioning an existing 1976 as no reproduction seems to be available. Maybe someone could custom make it but I think it would be even more costly.

carnut
11-29-12, 03:08 PM
You might ask a wrecking yard if a Buick Electra or Park Avenue or an Olds tank will interchange. They have Hollander interchange books or software that would confirm or not.

carolinamic
04-15-13, 07:32 PM
thanks for all the replies and help guys. Sorry that I took so long to update this thread. What I ended up doing was just going with a gas tank for a 77 Calais. Although the body style was different it fit pretty well. Their were no cuts made, just some re adjustments of the straps. The neck sits a little lower but it still is in reach when I pump gas.106792 sorry this is not the best pic and the tank had been painted but it is proof that it will work.

talismandave
04-15-13, 10:36 PM
Wow....that has been a while! Thanks for the update, glad everything worked out for you.