: LED headlamp output

soulsea
11-26-12, 03:56 PM
Hi ... :)

I have a favor to ask if someone has the time and energy to indulge me.

I cannot seem to find anywhere decent output pics (wall shots) of the Escalade LED headlights. What I'm looking for is something at 40ish ft from a wall, with as little ambient light as possible. Usually these are taken at night against outside warehouse walls and the like. Something similar to what I did with RX350 retrofit on my Denali:

Low Beam:

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s444/soulsea1/Denali%20Retro/ede80275.jpg

High beam:

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s444/soulsea1/Denali%20Retro/b166277b.jpg

We often discuss these on HIDplanet and it would be nice to have some output pics for reference ... plus it will help me decide if I want to spend the $ to do this upgrade.

So if anyone who has these is willing to snap some pics I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

baggedlvintegra
11-26-12, 04:37 PM
being the lighting expert you are I'm sure you will have rationale for this, but I must ask...why on the low beam shot is the driver headlight beam lower than the passenger? Is this on purpose or did you have a flat on the driver front during this pic? lol that would drive me insane (and I'm not quite as meticulous as you :) )

soulsea
11-26-12, 05:09 PM
That's how all hid projectors (including the Escalade's) project their beam, via a 'stepped' output. This is so the beam is lower on the side of oncoming drivers. In the UK, the step is in the other direction. In fact all low beam lighting is designed this way, it's just less apparent with halogen/led beams because the light diffuses more at the top edge and does not result in a sharp cutoff.

Examples: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?43932-New-HID-Lowbeam-Comparison-Outdoor

(fog projectors don't need a step)

hcvone
11-26-12, 05:57 PM
This was posted by Mr Murphy a while back, the LED's are whiter but do not offer the distance of projecting light like the stock HID's, I miss that were we live and drive, there are no lights or people, the animals are easier to find on the sides of the road with the HID's

The LED's look fantastic. Performance is very good. Output is about 800 lumens versus 1000 for HID's

soulsea
11-26-12, 07:41 PM
HID oem bulbs, depending on the bulb base type, capsule type, and manufacturer, can put out up to 3500 lumens (est) powered by oem 35W ballasts.

hcvone
11-26-12, 07:46 PM
HID oem bulbs, depending on the bulb base type, capsule type, and manufacturer, can put out up to 3500 lumens (est) powered by oem 35W ballasts.

These were light readings supplied by Caddy thru the stock headlight lenses in 2009 comparing the two light types and outputs

soulsea
11-26-12, 08:33 PM
Our trucks use D1S Osram Xenarc 66144 bulbs (GM part no. 25735604). Their output rating is 3200 lm (+/-450 lm) @ 35W.

Data sheet: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/automotive-lamps/automotive-cars/gas-discharge-lamps/xenarc-original/index.jsp?productId=ZMP_83508 (click on technical data sub-menu)

If HID bulbs only put out 1000 lm, they'd be LID bulbs. :)

hannity
11-26-12, 08:34 PM
being the lighting expert you are I'm sure you will have rationale for this, but I must ask...why on the low beam shot is the driver headlight beam lower than the passenger? Is this on purpose or did you have a flat on the driver front during this pic? lol that would drive me insane (and I'm not quite as meticulous as you :) )

That is how all HID projectors look. That is normal.

48Dodge
11-26-12, 08:57 PM
There's actually a zigzag inn each projector. That way they light up signs and other things on the side of the road without blinding oncoming traffic

soulsea
11-28-12, 10:31 PM
So no one with a plat has ten minutes to snap a couple of pics? :(

soulsea
12-04-12, 08:53 PM
:sigh:

MrHolland
12-04-12, 11:30 PM
I'm away from home currently, if no one has fulfilled your request by the time I return, maybe I can.

mrrairai76
12-05-12, 12:09 PM
I think I recall reading something on HID planet about the LED lamps on the Escalade and how they actually sucked and it made a guy trade his Platinum in because of the terrible output. IMO nothing beats a sharp HID cutoff.

hcvone
12-05-12, 12:41 PM
I think I recall reading something on HID planet about the LED lamps on the Escalade and how they actually sucked and it made a guy trade his Platinum in because of the terrible output. IMO nothing beats a sharp HID cutoff.

The led's have a pretty good cut line, you just need to adjust them upward from the factory, (and all four platinums were the same way, way too low, and the strange thing is all my Escalade with hid's were way too high from the factory, very strange), they will annoy oncoming traffic, not so much for the height, they are just an annoying bright white light, almost like a welding rod, as I have said not the long range that the hid's are, but on our dark roads they work good.

48Dodge
12-05-12, 01:38 PM
Yeah my hids were awful when I first bought it. Hard to believe a former owner put up with them for 3 years. After adjusting the cut line down they're great. I still don't get why the high beams need to go up quite so far. I still want 55w headlights.

hannity
12-05-12, 06:21 PM

They are actually not as bright as HID's but they look ok and they make the appearance of the vehicle 100 times better imo. Before I bought my platinum I had always seen pics of it on the net and of course the pics of LED's running were enhanced. When I saw one at night for the first time I was disappointed, however it did not stop me from buying one.

AINTNOFORD
12-05-12, 11:14 PM

AINTNOFORD
12-05-12, 11:22 PM
This is my 3rd Escalade. These LED lights are pretty damn bright.

soulsea
12-05-12, 11:55 PM
Thanks ANF ...

If I may ask, how far are the lamps from the wall in that pic?
And is that low or high beam?

AINTNOFORD
12-06-12, 12:04 AM
This picture is about 2 feet from the wall. I just unlocked it and the engine is not running. I will get you some pics with low and high tomorrow evening.

lee88
12-06-12, 12:08 AM
Idk what Hannity is talking about but I don't think they can be any more bright than they already are.

soulsea
12-06-12, 12:50 AM
This picture is about 2 feet from the wall. I just unlocked it and the engine is not running. I will get you some pics with low and high tomorrow evening.

Thanks man ... anything 30/40ft from a wall would be great.

I really appreciate it.

AINTNOFORD
12-06-12, 01:24 AM
No problem.

hannity
12-06-12, 09:05 AM
Idk what Hannity is talking about but I don't think they can be any more bright than they already are.

Maybe something was wrong with mine or wrong with the platinums I have seen and still see, because they are not as bright as HiD. I have seen one Lexus LS with the LED headlamps but it was during the day so I could not give a comparison.

MrHolland
12-06-12, 09:13 AM
The HID are definitely brighter, but the LED have a more even coverage.

AINTNOFORD
12-06-12, 11:09 PM

soulsea
12-06-12, 11:17 PM
Oh that's awesome dude ... thank you so so much!!!

So this output is a LOT better than what I was expecting and was led (pun intended) to believe.

It's got a nice even spread of light, well defined hotspot, and well defined cutoff line ... even the high beam leds have good output.

Now to figure out if it's worth the dough ...

Thanks again.

------------------------

ETA: The only thing I'm not crazy about is the color ... it actually surprises me that the leds look so white when looking at them on the truck but seem to have a high 3000K, almost halogen yellow to them. Mmm ...

AINTNOFORD
12-06-12, 11:46 PM
Your welcome.

MrHolland
12-07-12, 02:18 AM
What color is the wall??

Royalton
12-07-12, 02:39 AM
My friend has the platinum when I drive with him at night I notice it is not as bright, They have a great hotspot though but that still doesn't make up for what they are lacking Looks much better during the daytime but I prefer mine at night. I am also a diver I have high end LED lights for diving at night and HID. The HID lights blow away every LED one i have ever used. In poor visibility I get 5ft with the LED but will still get 25-30 ft with the HID. Roughly the same lumens but the HID is the best for cutting through things. HID will always win in distance.

AINTNOFORD
12-07-12, 07:57 AM
What color is the wall??

Very light tan.

murphy
12-08-12, 11:59 PM
I have not visited this site for a while so missed this post until now..it's -26c outside so I'm not gonna give you a pic of mine tonight :) but here is one fo the front if it's worth anything...including 35 watt hid fogs
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v35/p772894972-6.jpg

baggedlvintegra
12-09-12, 12:23 AM
^ I've seen this pic while searching through the forums on numerous occasions and I can tell you it single handedly was the reason I did the Platinum front end conversion. Now that you posted this pic yet again you're going to make me spend money lol seriously I love this pic enough I may just pull the trigger on the Platinum LED headlights tomorrow

murphy
12-09-12, 12:29 AM
Thanks but I like this one better :)
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p616104637-6.jpg

baggedlvintegra
12-09-12, 01:23 AM
You didn't have to remind me of that one too....here just have my wallet, take it lol....seriously though there is a deal on a set of platinum headlights here locally and I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on them. My excuse has been that they are about an hr away from me and I didn't have time to make the drive but I finished up my finals today (2nd to last semester for my Masters) so I have a free Sunday tomorrow so no time excuses now

MrHolland
12-09-12, 01:23 AM
Welcome back Mr. Murph!!!

murphy
12-09-12, 01:28 AM
Sorry to expend your cashola for you ;)
Hey MrHolland...I've been spending time over in the ZR1 land lately but he's parked so I'll likely be poking around more here...
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v68/p1137864052-6.jpg