: Upgrade from Halogen to HID gone wrong!!!

vmobley1219
11-26-12, 02:03 PM
Guys, I went to upgrade my halogens to HIDs using a phillips kit when I discovered that the ballasts were too big to fit inside the healight housing. I had to drill holes and add grommets and silicone to waterproof because the ballast had to go outside the housing. Long story short, the housings were not waterproofed and its been a disaster trying to completely waterproof them. I've decided to redo the HIDs. Anyone done this mod without the waterproofing issues? Any ballasts small enough to mount inside the housing?

curtc
11-26-12, 03:26 PM
I've always just mounted the ballast outside somewhere, done 4 HID conversions (not STS's) with no issues.

eatyoursandwich
11-26-12, 04:08 PM
I've always just mounted the ballast outside somewhere, done 4 HID conversions (not STS's) with no issues.

x2. Done 3 STS conversions now and too many others to count.

An aftermarket ballast will NOT mount inside the housing. Not even a slim ballast. Even then, you would still have to run wires to through the headlight housings.

What I did for both headlights and fogs (keep in mind, I am using a fuse relay for the low beams, but I'll leave that part out as it's not absolutely necessary):

Drill a hole in the back access panel just large enough that the rubber grommet fills the hole and replace the lights.

Connect your new lights to the ballasts and plug your new wiring harness to the OEM socket.

Buy some industrial clear silicone or aquarium sealant (what I always use) and apply a good amount around the grommet filling the holes you drilled. If you're not comfortable with silicone, just slather the shit out of it and sand it down if you need to after it's dried.

Make sure the gaskets on the access panels are in good condition; replace if not.

Caulk? No. I kind of want to see it though for the laughs.

Keep in mind, these headlamp housings were designed to be passive which means air enters in through the top and our through the bottom and "sometimes the bottom vent can get clogged" -- to me, this is just a cop out for SA's and the dealership to not cover poor-seal claims as none of the techs can show me where this vent is when I hand them a headlamp housing.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-26-12, 09:41 PM
My ballasts fit in my headlight housings but I am running into the same problem you are with my fogs. It's not bad so for now I'm dealing with it

vmobley1219
11-29-12, 07:02 PM
x2. Done 3 STS conversions now and too many others to count.

An aftermarket ballast will NOT mount inside the housing. Not even a slim ballast. Even then, you would still have to run wires to through the headlight housings.

What I did for both headlights and fogs (keep in mind, I am using a fuse relay for the low beams, but I'll leave that part out as it's not absolutely necessary):

Drill a hole in the back access panel just large enough that the rubber grommet fills the hole and replace the lights.

Connect your new lights to the ballasts and plug your new wiring harness to the OEM socket.

Buy some industrial clear silicone or aquarium sealant (what I always use) and apply a good amount around the grommet filling the holes you drilled. If you're not comfortable with silicone, just slather the shit out of it and sand it down if you need to after it's dried.

Make sure the gaskets on the access panels are in good condition; replace if not.

Caulk? No. I kind of want to see it though for the laughs.

Keep in mind, these headlamp housings were designed to be passive which means air enters in through the top and our through the bottom and "sometimes the bottom vent can get clogged" -- to me, this is just a cop out for SA's and the dealership to not cover poor-seal claims as none of the techs can show me where this vent is when I hand them a headlamp housing.

Thanks for your post. This gave me some insight on what I've done wrong. The holes I drilled and the grommets are in a bad location. Next time I'll drill straight through the back. This came as a consequence of bad planning. I'll have to get new (expensive) housings as a consequence. Thanks again.

----------

My ballasts fit in my headlight housings but I am running into the same problem you are with my fogs. It's not bad so for now I'm dealing with it

Where did you get your ballasts from?! What brand?!

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-29-12, 08:33 PM
Idk exactly, I got them from a home audio distributor of mine that sells 12 volt also but I'll find out. They are about the size of a deck of cards.

vmobley1219
12-01-12, 10:38 AM
Idk exactly, I got them from a home audio distributor of mine that sells 12 volt also but I'll find out. They are about the size of a deck of cards.

Please Do.