: Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorsports)

AAIIIC
11-26-12, 12:49 PM
As discussed in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/234168-success-c5-c6-pfadt-shock-mounts.html), Vorshlag Motorsports makes upgraded strut/shock top mounts for a variety of vehicles. I believe they got their start in the Bimmer world, but they've been gradually expanding their offerings, and now offer parts for Mustangs, Vettes, F-bodies, STIs, etc etc.

I contacted Vorshlag about doing a rear shock top mount for the 1st gen CTS/CTS-V. The response I got was positive - a rear mount is already on their list for product development, and they may do a front top mount as well. However, they need a stock top mount to take measurements off of.

So, anyone got a top mount sitting around that they can loan to Vorshlag? A UPS shipping label will be provided, and I assume they'll return the top mount once they've got the measurements. I know there are folks that have installed the Pfadt Corvette top mounts, so maybe one of you can donate? Or how about someone that has installed KSport coilovers? I think those include new top mounts (but I could be wrong).

If you've got a top mount you can provide, please reply here (rather than PMing me) and I'll put you in touch with the guy @ Vorshlag. Thanks!

FuzzyLogic
11-26-12, 02:21 PM
I might have one (depending on what you need), since I recently reinstalled my MightyMouse kit.

etcts-v
11-26-12, 02:32 PM
I believe I have a top mount sitting around as well, I'll check this evening and post a pic of what I have.

AAIIIC
11-26-12, 05:21 PM
I'm looking for the red circled bit.

FuzzyLogic
11-26-12, 06:53 PM
I've got those. Most of them, anyway, because I think the Ground Control installation might replace some of the hardware stacked on top.

01Cummins
11-26-12, 07:49 PM
I have a spare, bought a used rear shock and it came with the shock..

OneFast V
11-26-12, 09:08 PM
I also have a spare. PM me if you need it.

AAIIIC
11-26-12, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the responses!

I found this other picture from my KW install:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Suspension%20and%20Chassis/KW%20coilovers/KW%20-%20stock%20rear%20topmount.jpg

I think we would want to give Vorshlag everything on the right - not the nut, but the big black washer, the top mount, and the insert/spacer thingy to the left of the top mount. The big silver washer that is visible in the first picture I posted earlier today came with the KWs, as seen in this shot (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Suspension%20and%20Chassis/KW%20coilovers/KW3%20-%20rear.jpg), so that's not something that would need to be sent to them.

So, which one of you 3 has all 3 of those pieces? :)

OneFast V
11-27-12, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the responses!

I think we would want to give Vorshlag everything on the right - not the nut, but the big black washer, the top mount, and the insert/spacer thingy to the left of the top mount. The big silver washer that is visible in the first picture I posted earlier today came with the KWs, as seen in this shot (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/CTS-V%20pics/Suspension%20and%20Chassis/KW%20coilovers/KW3%20-%20rear.jpg), so that's not something that would need to be sent to them.

So, which one of you 3 has all 3 of those pieces? :)

I will confirm tonight but I should have all three as I recently swapped in d2 coil overs and they have all new top mounts.

Junior1
11-27-12, 01:16 PM
I probably have that stuff in boxes. Its just a pain to get to right now. I'll check just in case.

BTW Pat, why don't you check with Angelo @ Anze. I think he already has those mounts made up...

AAIIIC
11-27-12, 07:58 PM
I will confirm tonight but I should have all three as I recently swapped in d2 coil overs and they have all new top mounts.
Roger that, PM sent (and response received).

BTW Pat, why don't you check with Angelo @ Anze. I think he already has those mounts made up...
The only pics I've seen were the clevis style ones you're running with your super whamodyne race setup.

Junior1
11-27-12, 08:43 PM
The only pics I've seen were the clevis style ones you're running with your super whamodyne race setup.

LOL, I know, but I had discussed this with him previously. There won't be any pictures around but IIRC he can do them. Won't hurt to put a call in...

dboydr
03-04-13, 05:36 PM
Is the top shock mount the same on the CTS 3.6L (FE1) and it is on the CTS-V (FE4)?

tommy compton
03-04-13, 06:13 PM
Literally just threw one away 2 days ago. Subscribed for outcome.

OneFast V
03-04-13, 07:03 PM
Literally just threw one away 2 days ago. Subscribed for outcome.

I sent Vorshlag one of my mounts about December last year. I haven't heard anything lately.

tommy compton
03-04-13, 08:20 PM
Just realized how old this thread is....

AAIIIC
03-04-13, 08:33 PM
They're in the design and testing process. They should have something to test out early this month (based on the word I got from them a few weeks ago).

dboydr
04-03-13, 01:57 PM
I dont mean to steal the thread, but I am in dire need of two of these upper mounts for the FE4 shocks. I bought shocks and they did not come with them.
PLEASE!!!!

heavymetals
04-03-13, 02:37 PM
What rubbish.

All Vorshlag has to do is make the AST RSM for the C5 available.

It will directly fit the CTS-V1.

To give you some background, I contacted Vorshlag early last year looking for a replacement for the PADFT's I had (no longer in production).

The AST is available, but you have to buy the whole suspension package.

For some ridiculous reason, the Vorshlag rep accused me of trying to rip off their design.

You might contact:

http://store.langracing.com/rear-shock-mount-set-with-spherical-bearings-10-mm/

Maybe they can build one with the right footprint.

This guy makes one for the C4 & C5 so it should be a direct fit.

http://banskimotorsports.com/Pin_Top_Shock_Mounts.html

I (http://banskimotorsports.com/Pin_Top_Shock_Mounts.html)n case you want to know, spherical RSM's do make a difference. IMO

AAIIIC
04-03-13, 03:23 PM
What rubbish.

All Vorshlag has to do is make the AST RSM for the C5 available.

It will directly fit the CTS-V1.
Vorshlag doesn't own AST, and doesn't own that part, so that's not their decision to make.

This guy makes one for the C4 & C5 so it should be a direct fit.

That looks promising.

heavymetals
04-03-13, 03:47 PM
Vorshlag is not AST, but it could request AST sell the mount separate and not tie it to a whole suspension package.

As far as having to create a special part for the V1, that is BS.

Spherical RSM's are not rocket science.

If it fits a C5, it will fit a V1 (rear).

The only difference from the C5 (CTS-V1) and the BMW and Porsche mounts is the base plate footprint.

A 10 mm shaft hole.

FuzzyLogic
04-03-13, 04:24 PM
Technically, you might even be able to use the MightyMouse plate, if the center hole was adequately sized.

AAIIIC
04-03-13, 06:30 PM
Vorshlag is not AST, but it could request AST sell the mount separate and not tie it to a whole suspension package.
Perhaps they have and AST said NO?

Has anyone asked KSport/D2/whoever? Don't their coil-overs come with new top mounts?

As far as having to create a special part for the V1, that is BS.

Spherical RSM's are not rocket science.
I guess that explains why there's such a glut of these on the market. ;) We were all frothing at the mouth when it was determined that the Pfadt ones would work, but apparently they were discontinued about the time that was figured out. Despite interest from a number of us, I haven't seen any other solutions discussed since then until that Banski link you posted. Apparently it's not a very popular product amongst the Vette guys, let alone our little V community. Even the Banski product is not a sure thing for the CTS - one would have to deconstruct a stock top mount to see if those Banski ones would work. If they don't, you're kind of stuck since you can't order just the top mount from the dealer and there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket replacement.

FuzzyLogic
04-03-13, 06:50 PM
I'm talking to the president of Banski and will let you know shortly if the dimensions are correct. If they are correct, I will set up a group buy across CF and LS1Tech.

Price will be $120 + shipping for 2 mounts if we get 5 people and $90 + shipping for 2 mounts if we get 10 people. Shipping is USPS Priority Flat Rate @ $5. Hope to know more tonight or tomorrow morning.

OneFast V
04-03-13, 07:23 PM
D2 coilovers do indeed come with a new rear shock mount.

heavymetals
04-03-13, 07:52 PM
Specialized race car parts you need to do a lot of searching for.

As for RSM, there is a glut, just not a lot for the C5/ CTS-V1, but there are a few.

The only difference is the base plate.

You just have to look and in the right places.

I was lucky enough to get a pair of the PADFTs for the C5 before they stopped making them.

The dimensions are the same for the CTS-V1 RSM.

How do I know this?

The PADFT required you to have a C5 top shock mount to tear apart and use the baseplate for the spherical bearing as they did not include the baseplate.

That baseplate is the same dimension as required by the CTS-V1.

I installed it in mine and IT FITS.

You're welcome for the Banski link.

----------

I'm talking to the president of Banski and will let you know shortly if the dimensions are correct. If they are correct, I will set up a group buy across CF and LS1Tech.

Price will be $120 + shipping for 2 mounts if we get 5 people and $90 + shipping for 2 mounts if we get 10 people. Shipping is USPS Priority Flat Rate @ $5. Hope to know more tonight or tomorrow morning.

Good for you!

I'll take a pair.

AST can go pound sand.

I hate it when a vendor thinks they are doing me a favor selling me their product.

FuzzyLogic
04-04-13, 03:06 PM
Good stuff coming. Tom (president) and I have been trading measurements and CAD drawings to ensure a perfect fit. Should have more tonight and tomorrow--my schedule for today is filled with work and grad school.

Plan on the group buy starting (at the latest) Monday and ending next Friday.

AAIIIC
04-04-13, 03:49 PM
Thanks to heavy for the initial lead and to you for doing the legwork!

FuzzyLogic
04-04-13, 05:11 PM
For information only: CAD drawing of C5 and C4 shock mounts attached.

C4 eyeball plate drawing includes caliper measurements taken from OEM CTS-V RSM (right side) versus actual C4 plate dimensions (left side). Need to update with measurements taken directly from car body. ETA on measurements: Friday night.

odla
04-04-13, 07:46 PM
What would the benefit be of getting these? Just asking so i can see if i'm in on the group buy if it happens.

Thanks

lollygagger8
04-05-13, 08:24 AM
I hate it when a vendor thinks they are doing me a favor selling me their product.

Preach it brother!!!

heavymetals
04-05-13, 12:48 PM
Thanks to heavy for the initial lead and to you for doing the legwork!

I gave several leads to several RSM suppliers.

Banski (any relation to the artist?) happens to make a C5 RSM, so I know that will work in the V.

FuzzyLogic
04-05-13, 02:09 PM
I gave several leads to several RSM suppliers.

Banski (any relation to the artist?) happens to make a C5 RSM, so I know that will work in the V.

Actually, the C5 RSM doesn't include an eyeball plate, so it won't work on the CTS-V.

heavymetals
04-05-13, 02:16 PM
Actually, the C5 RSM doesn't include an eyeball plate, so it won't work on the CTS-V.

It will if you get the eyeball plate.

It won't work in the C5 without the plate either.

If you bother to read, I said you need the C5 plate.

The V1 plate center hole is a bigger diameter then the C5's (I believe), however the dimensions and mounting hole(s) placement is the same as a C5 (that I know).

FuzzyLogic
04-05-13, 02:25 PM
It will if you get the eyeball plate.

It won't work in the C5 without the plate either.

If you bother to read, I said you need the C5 plate.

Based on my concersation with Tom, it sounds like the C5 doesn't need/use the eyeball plate. They interface directly with the mushroom & cap assembly. I can only surmise that a lot of vendors include a C4 eyeball plate with their kits for convenience.

heavymetals
04-05-13, 02:42 PM
The C5 doesn't need/use the eyeball plate at all. It sounds like a lot of vendors include a C4 eyeball plate with their kits for convenience and because they're easy to make.

You are wrong.

You need the plate to hold the bearing and mount to the frame.

It doesn't work to well not mounted to the frame with the shock floating.

You should do some research on C5 suspensions.

There is a reason why it is called a Rear Shock Mount.

----------

Based on my concersation with Tom, it sounds like the C5 doesn't need/use the eyeball plate. They interface directly with the mushroom & cap assembly. I can only surmise that a lot of vendors include a C4 eyeball plate with their kits for convenience.

Ya know what?

I am not hear to argue a point that you obviously don't know anything about.

Take a look at the AST C5 RSM and tell me there is no eyeball.

When you get and install a pair of RSM ( with spherical bearings) take some measurements.

FuzzyLogic
04-05-13, 02:43 PM
You are wrong.

You need the plate to hold the bearing and mount to the frame.

It doesn't work to well not mounted to the frame with the shock floating.

You should do some research on C5 suspensions.

There is a reason why it is called a Rear Shock Mount.

When I asked for a comparison to their C4/C5 part, but specifically referenced the C5 compatibility, Tom said that I actually needed the C4 design. If you want to argue with someone, argue with him. We both agree that the CTS-V require an eyeball plate. Design details regarding the C5 are irrelevant from here on out.

By the way, you might want to note that I was already in contact before you Googled them and posted it up on this forum. So the forum-ites that are attributing 50% of the credit for this idea to you are incorrect. I wasn't going to bring it up until you started waving your e-peen around.

heavymetals
04-05-13, 02:48 PM
HAHAHAHA

And CF people wonder why I hang around LS1.

Ya Fuzzy, I stole all your glory.

FuzzyLogic
04-05-13, 02:52 PM
Insulting the intelligence of the entire forum won't get you anywhere. We're all on both forums.

heavymetals
04-05-13, 03:03 PM
Insulting the intelligence of the entire forum won't get you anywhere. We're all on both forums.

Your lack of intelligence is the only thing that cries out to be insulted.

What else did you not post that you want to take credit for?

AAIIIC
04-05-13, 11:47 PM
http://youtu.be/FONN-0uoTHI

AAIIIC
06-29-13, 05:53 PM
Good stuff coming. Tom (president) and I have been trading measurements and CAD drawings to ensure a perfect fit. Should have more tonight and tomorrow--my schedule for today is filled with work and grad school.
Did anything ever come of this, Fuzzy? I sourced an extra set of stock upper mounts from a FS thread over on LS1tech. Not sure if I even need those to make the Banski pieces work, but I have them just in case.

FuzzyLogic
07-02-13, 07:51 PM
Did anything ever come of this, Fuzzy? I sourced an extra set of stock upper mounts from a FS thread over on LS1tech. Not sure if I even need those to make the Banski pieces work, but I have them just in case.

Yes. I let the issue drop after Heavymetals crashed the thread, but I recently began talking to Tom again. First and second blush is that the C4 part will be a direct fit, but we need to square away a potential issue with the side through-bolts on the eyeball plate before I put up an official group buy thread. The good news is that the solution will be a perfect replacement for the OEM part and include all necessary hardware (Grade 8 / Class 10.9). You can help me out by expressing your intention to buy a set, if that's what you plan to do, so that I can get a headcount and we can get these parts delivered to your doorsteps in the next couple of weeks.

AAIIIC
07-02-13, 09:11 PM
I will definitely buy a set. I can send him one of these CTS-V parts to compare to, if that would help.

FuzzyLogic
07-02-13, 10:26 PM
I will definitely buy a set. I can send him one of these CTS-V parts to compare to, if that would help.

It's already taken care of.

jclayc
07-03-13, 11:24 AM
unless they're really high priced, I'm in

heavymetals
07-03-13, 12:43 PM
You could order a set from BANSKI and ask for a couple of extra eyeball plates and split the order (the set from Banski is for front and back Vette) with someone else.

About $300 for the set so I figure the extra plates might be at the most $50.00 extra.

So...

I figure about $175.00 a pair.

Bottom of page C4 set.

FuzzyLogic
07-03-13, 02:58 PM
unless they're really high priced, I'm in

The predicted price is $120 plus shipping in the group buy. And the package will include Grade 8 / Class 10.9 hardware, selected specifically for the CTS-V through-holes, which the C4 kit doesn't include.

FuzzyLogic
07-04-13, 03:36 PM
Prototype is on order and being fabricated. Will have installation pictures in the next week or so; group-buy to follow if fitment is good.

liqidvenom
07-05-13, 02:24 PM
interesting thread

DavidBoren
07-09-13, 03:15 PM
The spherical rod end shock mounts would definitely be more of a track thing, right? Not something one would want on their daily driver... are they?

For my daily driver I was thinking about just using Creative Steel lower rear shock mounts, and the Mighty Mouse plates without the spacers on the top. But if spherical rod end mounts wouldnt be too harsh, I could see myself getting a set.

heavymetals
07-09-13, 03:34 PM
If you want to get rid of the rubber band suspension, then yes.

They also make the rear shocks work like they are supposed to.

They don't make the ride any harsher or softer, just makes the car more "planted".

DavidBoren
07-09-13, 04:51 PM
I am all about getting rid of the flex and wiggles and sponginess. Planted sounds good. I like planted. I still need to find V1 chassis braces.

heavymetals
07-09-13, 06:04 PM
I am all about getting rid of the flex and wiggles and sponginess. Planted sounds good. I like planted. I still need to find V1 chassis braces.

I have replaced everything in the rear and added a KW suspension.

BMR toe rods and trailing arms (more rubber band stuff gone).

My V is like a big go-cart.

DavidBoren
07-09-13, 07:12 PM
My plan is to replace all the squishy rubber bushings with Creative Steel and RevShift poly bushings. And get pretty much everything BMR offers (toe rods, trailing arms, pinion brace, anti wheel hop kit). Looking at getting a one-piece aluminum driveshaft so I dont have to worry about flex discs anymore.

I was SO excited when I found the Ultra Racing chassis braces, but after a couple emails, I found out they are actually for V2's, even though they advertise for the 2007 model year. :( Now I have no idea who makes V1 under belly braces. Does anyone still offer a V1 rear strut tower brace?

I want this thing rigid. No uni-body flex. No rubber band suspension. But it still needs to behave well as a daily driver.

heavymetals
07-09-13, 08:23 PM
IMO forget the pinion brace and wheel hop kit.

If you are gonna get into clutch dumping spring for one of the rear end replacements and get it out of your system.

I got the CF one piece driveshaft from the Driveshaft Shop.

Bitchin.

DougNuts
07-11-13, 04:27 PM
Subscribed

FuzzyLogic
07-20-13, 01:30 AM
The prototype has arrived. Check out the draft instructions--it should give you a good idea of how it fits together. I will be installing it this weekend and providing feedback to Tom, both on its fitment and the manual. If things are good, I'll run a group buy immediately for you guys. Expect more pictures later.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p663/Fuzzylog1c/DSC00826_zps2c0595ee.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Fuzzylog1c/media/DSC00826_zps2c0595ee.jpg.html)
A65 Onboard Flash

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p663/Fuzzylog1c/DSC00820_zpsedb78135.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Fuzzylog1c/media/DSC00820_zpsedb78135.jpg.html)
No Flash

DavidBoren
07-20-13, 04:09 PM
Cant wait to hear how these things are treating you.

FuzzyLogic
07-22-13, 06:50 AM
Progress, starting from removing the stock RSM located on the KW Variant 3:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00883_zps98fc2ee0.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00885_zps7b4f3abe.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00889_zps4d54b631.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00898_zpsfa500476.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00902_zps5477e333.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00913_zpsf2946ef7.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00917_zpsc077e443.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00918_zps5bd767f3.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00920_zpsd0441e32.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00924_zps803670c6.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00925_zpsc69edeac.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00929_zpsc440855b.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00930_zpseac8587c.jpg~original

We're in the process of doing a couple of minor tweaks to sizes, spacing, etc.

lollygagger8
07-22-13, 12:30 PM
So this kit will make the rear more planted? Does it help with cornering?

If I'm not tracking, does this benefit me?

heavymetals
07-22-13, 12:37 PM

They will make it feel more "planted" and also make the suspension work as it should.

Cornering?

Depends on how fast and how much load is on the rear, if it lets go (the rear) it probably won't be because of these, although you get rid of any rubber "wind up".

I don't track my car, just mod the crap out of it.

lollygagger8
07-22-13, 03:21 PM
They will make it feel more "planted" and also make the suspension work as it should.

I don't track my car, just mod the crap out of it.

What hinders (or doesn't work the way it should) the suspension in it's current form?

Yes...mod, mod, and then mod some more! :lildevil:

heavymetals
07-22-13, 03:37 PM
The rubber stuff "dampens" the shock valving and allows a lag in reaction.

The more you get rid of the rubber band stuff the more chance you have of it not "letting go" at an inopportune moment.

DavidBoren
07-22-13, 09:22 PM
Responsiveness, is the point. Redundant rubber bushings provide you with a luxury car ride, but allow for a lot of "lag time" in the reaction of the suspension and drivetrain. Replacing rubber with anything more rigid, be it polymers or steel, will make the car react more quickly. You sacrafice the luxury ride somewhat, for more of the sports car feel of the road, but you also get the sports car responsiveness. And in these lumbering giants, any help is welcome and worth it.

FuzzyLogic
07-22-13, 09:35 PM

Spherical RSMs eliminate the lateral loading (or bending moment) that fixed RSMs inflict on shocks.

Any complete, high-end coilover kit will include spherical RSMs, both to promote longevity of the seals on the shock (you're not jamming the shaft against one side), and because it frees the suspension to behave linearly with respect to applied load, as it should. Does that make sense?

The thing that DavidBoren is talking about is not supposed to be a benefit of upgrading, but is because GM effed up. If you look at my pictures on the previous page, you'll note that any shock movement has to go through something like 2" of rubber, which can also twist and distort in unpredictable ways. As you probably already know, suspension is designed to respond to changing conditions by changing the angle at which the wheel meets the road. With a big block of rubber "interpreting" each and every mechanical load on the behalf of the suspension, you may not get the kind of traction that, in an ideal world, you should.

This is just another one of those minor, supporting modifications that when combined with a few others results in "more than the sum of its parts" situation.

I'm still hoping that Revshift puts out a lower shock mount in 95A polyurethane, similar to Creative Steel's product (https://creative-steel.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=34). That'd be the other piece of the puzzle.

lollygagger8
07-23-13, 01:54 PM
OK got it, thanks fellas.

DavidBoren
07-25-13, 06:14 PM
Fuzzy,

How are you liking them?

FuzzyLogic
07-26-13, 06:46 AM
Fuzzy,

How are you liking them?

Good so far. Had to re-tighten a couple of bolts after the first couple of days of driving. I'll have more information this weekend.

sssnake
07-26-13, 02:09 PM
Staying tuned.

CTSVLSX
07-26-13, 05:17 PM
I already installed KW3's on the car, will this help on top of, or be better than, what came with the KWs?

FuzzyLogic
07-26-13, 05:22 PM
I already installed KW3's on the car, will this help on top of, or be better than, what came with the KWs?

Yes. See above. The KW Variant 3 kit uses the static rear shock mounts (RSMs) that came with the CTS-V. This spherical RSM is a minor, yet useful upgrade to ensure that your shocks behave linearly throughout their range of travel.

CTSVLSX
07-27-13, 12:55 PM
Nice, count me in if there's a group buy. I'm on a quest to get rid of the movement in the rear, because I do track the car :)

mackey
07-29-13, 01:17 AM
+1 on gb though i don't really like gb's in general

sssnake
07-29-13, 11:36 AM
I am interested in these with or without the group buy. I didn't see these on their webpage. Did I miss it or do I need to just call them?

FuzzyLogic
07-29-13, 04:20 PM
I am interested in these with or without the group buy. I didn't see these on their webpage. Did I miss it or do I need to just call them?

That's because they're not ready for purchase yet. The fitment is slightly off.

sssnake
07-29-13, 05:55 PM
understood on the fitment issue. As you can see I am anxiously awaiting this part.

Iceman_jd
07-30-13, 11:26 PM
The good news is that the solution will be a perfect replacement for the OEM part and include all necessary hardware (Grade 8 / Class 10.9). You can help me out by expressing your intention to buy a set, if that's what you plan to do, so that I can get a headcount and we can get these parts delivered to your doorsteps in the next couple of weeks.

Count me in Fuzzy.

John (Iceman)

Manofmetal01
07-31-13, 12:23 AM
I'm in.

DavidBoren
08-03-13, 05:54 PM
When will these be ready to buy?

FuzzyLogic
08-03-13, 06:33 PM
When will these be ready to buy?

They're virtually ready for purchase. Tom gave me the go ahead to start the group buy on this forum and LS1Tech, but neglected to include his asking price. As soon as I know, you'll see a new thread.

jclayc
08-03-13, 09:47 PM
I'm in

FuzzyLogic
08-04-13, 11:03 AM
Final production hardware is arriving Monday or Tuesday. Key changes include a new eyeball plate with a slotted bolt hole on one side (provides correct fitment despite GM manufacturing tolerances), and shorter 1"-long, Grade 10.9, M10 bolts. At this point, most of the production CTS-V RSM parts will be borrowed from various Banski Motorsports' C4 Corvette RSM and toe rod kits, so I think this product should be readily available for a long time.

Will verify fitment, update pictures, and start group buy this week.

Iceman_jd
08-04-13, 12:39 PM
Fuzzy, in your opinion would changing the eyeball plate to 6061-t651 .25" aluminum be a viable alternative to steel?

FuzzyLogic
08-04-13, 01:50 PM
Fuzzy, in your opinion would changing the eyeball plate to 6061-t651 .25" aluminum be a viable alternative to steel?

That's an odd question. As far as I know, there's no advantage to aluminum in this application. Not only is steel cheaper, the weight difference is negligible, the plate is considered sprung mass, and the higher density of steel will provide better sound attenuation. Plus, with aluminum, you have concerns regarding galvanic corrosion between the plate and the low-carbon steel side bolts, as well as the constant spray of mineralized water, vehicle byproducts, salt, rocks, and anything else kicked up by the tires. I know that the CTS-V has cast aluminum control arms, but those don't get regularly blasted like the inside of the wheel well does. And the risk is justified by the fact that those components are considered unsprung mass.

Iceman_jd
08-04-13, 02:28 PM
That's an odd question. As far as I know, there's no advantage to aluminum in this application. Not only is steel cheaper, the weight difference is negligible, the plate is considered sprung mass, and the higher density of steel will provide better sound attenuation. Plus, with aluminum, you have concerns regarding galvanic corrosion between the plate and the low-carbon steel side bolts, as well as the constant spray of mineralized water, vehicle byproducts, salt, rocks, and anything else kicked up by the tires. I know that the CTS-V has cast aluminum control arms, but those don't get regularly blasted like the inside of the wheel well does. And the risk is justified by the fact that those components are considered unsprung mass.

I agree 100% with the choice of steel, galvanic corrosion aside and theoretically speaking just wondering if you think it would be strong enough and resilient to be used.

FuzzyLogic
08-04-13, 06:37 PM
I think we're really getting into an academic discussion here, but generally speaking, aluminum should work fine if you use a thick enough plate to avoid plastic deformation under severe shock loads and reduce tensile stresses below the threshold necessary for Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC). The idea of sudden, catastrophic failure of suspension components is a scary one, but SCC itself is a fascinating subject--I highly recommend reading the "Prevention" section of the associated Wikipedia article.

Iceman_jd
08-09-13, 06:20 AM
Bump: the group buy is going on now over at LS1 Tech