: Coming soon - to a theater near you ...........

Submariner409
11-26-12, 01:23 PM
Fun and games at Buick..............

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/11/26/buick-grand-national-rumored-to-return/

The-Dullahan
11-26-12, 05:51 PM
Well, it would be the first V8 Sedan GM has built in a few decades I would normally even consider driving. At least, if it looks as fancy as I imagine it to.

Still, while I like Buick, I have never been too big of a fan of the Grand National. Always just sort of "Meh". There's a fellow around here with a red one.

ben.gators
11-26-12, 06:52 PM
Nice! ATS chassis with a LT1 engine in it, sounds good to me! I hope they can keep the base price tag under $40k...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-12, 08:06 PM
I saw this earlier today and was surprised to read a few things:

1) First and foremost, that GM is serious about the return of the performance Buicks. I like the fact that they're bringing it back in 3 tiers....T-Type's in all different colors, the GN exclusively in black and lastly, the GNX with the V8.

2) The new top line GM V8 is designated the LT1. Are they all done with the LS-Series engines? The first LT-1 was a stellar small block screamer in it's day, the 2nd gen LT1 was ahead of it's time (and the competition) in the early '90s and now this looks stellar as well!

3) I have my doubts about them actually bringing back the V-8 Buick, as it's awful close to the ATS-V, but we'll see.

Phenomenal news either way! :)

CadillacLuke24
11-26-12, 08:25 PM
I bet they LT1 the GNX, move the ATS just north of 500, and the CTS-V just north of 600. That leaves the ZR1 to flirt with 700 hp.

GM is by no means done with the LS designations, I'm sure. LT1 is just a name that hasn't been used in awhile, so they dug it up. If you know your GM history, the LS6 has technically existed twice: The 454 CID V8 in the '70 Chevelle SS, and more recently as the 350 CID V8 in the early 2000s Vettes and the V1.

ben.gators
11-26-12, 09:06 PM
3) I have my doubts about them actually bringing back the V-8 Buick, as it's awful close to the ATS-V, but we'll see.

This is exactly what I was thinking... But they can differentiate these two cars by keeping Buick as a relatively basic car in terms of gadgets and adding all of those cool packages and gadgets to the ATS-V. 2004-2006 GTO is a good model for what Buick needs to accomplish! GNX can be a stripped down version of ATS-V.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-12, 09:13 PM
Exactly! Maybe the same basic drivetrain, but detune it a bit for the Buick and obviously don't make it as loaded as the ATS-V.

cadillac kevin
11-26-12, 09:50 PM
But why would it be a sedan and not a 2 door? I don't understand that...or why the top motor would be N/A...wasn't part of the coolness of the GN and GNX that it was turbocharged?

ben.gators
11-26-12, 10:41 PM
But why would it be a sedan and not a 2 door? I don't understand that...or why the top motor would be N/A...wasn't part of the coolness of the GN and GNX that it was turbocharged?

Maybe GM doesn't have a modern and ready-to-go platform for 2 door cars and also a powerful and modern turbocharged engine to use in GNX! The era of developing and designing a whole new engine or platform just for a single model is gone, rather GM is re-using existing platforms and engines instead. Based on rumors, ATS coupe will be introduced in 2015 or late 2014. After having this 2-door platform, we may have a 2 door GNX as well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-12, 10:54 PM
Good point. They'll probably delay the GNX and not introduce it with the T-Type & GN.

cadillac kevin
11-27-12, 01:15 AM
Maybe GM doesn't have a modern and ready-to-go platform for 2 door cars and also a powerful and modern turbocharged engine to use in GNX! The era of developing and designing a whole new engine or platform just for a single model is gone, rather GM is re-using existing platforms and engines instead. Based on rumors, ATS coupe will be introduced in 2015 or late 2014. After having this 2-door platform, we may have a 2 door GNX as well.

Good point. I thought the ATS coupe was rolling out earlier than that....

Cadillac Kid03
11-27-12, 06:49 AM
4 door GNX... Not a big fan of the idea of it being a 4 door GM sure knows how to make really good cars. But they should leave the GNX name alone because i know they will just mess it up like they did with the GTO, 1LE, Copo.

thebigjimsho
11-27-12, 07:05 AM

Exactly. They're talking twin turbo V6 in the ATS-V so why go to a V8 when the famed GN was a turbo V6?

bigm57ict
11-27-12, 09:59 AM
4 door GNX... Not a big fan of the idea of it being a 4 door GM sure knows how to make really good cars. But they should leave the GNX name alone because i know they will just mess it up like they did with the GTO, 1LE, Copo.

I guess they figured it worked for Chrysler with the Charger so why not?
There were a lot of people complaining and crying about the new Charger being a 4-door when it was introduced, but they don't seem to be having any trouble selling them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-27-12, 10:23 AM
The original Impala SS was sold as a coupe and convertible, but not a sedan if I remember correctly, but nobody complained about them being a 4 door when they were re-introduced in '94. Same with the Marauder, sold as coupes and sedans when new, but only sedans....nobody complained.

I remember the hellfire that came out when the Charger was re-introduced as a four door though, but that quickly subsided when they saw how capable it was....and the Challenger helped as well.

Aron9000
11-27-12, 11:20 PM
I bet they LT1 the GNX, move the ATS just north of 500, and the CTS-V just north of 600. That leaves the ZR1 to flirt with 700 hp.

GM is by no means done with the LS designations, I'm sure. LT1 is just a name that hasn't been used in awhile, so they dug it up. If you know your GM history, the LS6 has technically existed twice: The 454 CID V8 in the '70 Chevelle SS, and more recently as the 350 CID V8 in the early 2000s Vettes and the V1.

The LS6 in the Corvette and V1 was 346 cu displacement.

Back on topic, anybody want to bet the new Grand National and GNX will be rebadged versions of special edition HSV Holden Commodores?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-28-12, 12:13 AM
Aren't all of the 5.7L LS series engines 346CID?

CadillacLuke24
11-28-12, 12:43 AM
:bigroll:

Well EXCUUUUUUSE ME!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-28-12, 10:38 AM
ohhh i thought Black Air was in theaters now , must wait till the 11th of dec
http://www.gnmovie.com/