: Engine "missing" during acceleration

STS 310
12-21-04, 04:05 PM
Was just every now and then but, this is starting happen more often. At acceleration, seems that a cylinder is not firing properly. This only happens at acceleration at low rpm. There is no "popping" to indicate a misfire and there have been no codes set.
On the highway it runs great with no hesitation.
Engine has 55k miles.

Any ideas?

Ranger
12-21-04, 09:32 PM
Let me take a wild guess here. Did you just have your fuel rail changed? I and many others have had the same problem right after the rail change. Two words........ PLUG WIRES.

STS 310
12-22-04, 12:34 PM
No, I have been lagging on the recall.

Ranger
12-22-04, 08:18 PM
Plug wires would still be my first guess.

peteski
12-23-04, 01:42 AM
All those computerized engines we have nowadays... Don't you just love it. They take care of themselves. :D

Give it another 10 years and the cars will be telling you how to drive them. Also the "big brother" will be monitoring all your moves and report back to the government!

Seems that devices are getting smarter and humans are getting dumber. Robots were supposed to take over teh Earth in the 21st century. We have no robots (as in machines who look like humans). But the real robots we have are actually cars, washing machines, cell phones, PCs, etc. Our appliances. And they are sure getting "smarter". So, it looks like our robotic appliances will be taking over the world...

Peteski

:lildevil:

ellives
12-23-04, 08:25 AM
All those computerized engines we have nowadays... Don't you just love it. They take care of themselves. :D

Give it another 10 years and the cars will be telling you how to drive them. Also the "big brother" will be monitoring all your moves and report back to the government!

Seems that devices are getting smarter and humans are getting dumber. Robots were supposed to take over teh Earth in the 21st century. We have no robots (as in machines who look like humans). But the real robots we have are actually cars, washing machines, cell phones, PCs, etc. Our appliances. And they are sure getting "smarter". So, it looks like our robotic appliances will be taking over the world...

Peteski

:lildevil:

Hmm -- might we be a little paranoid?

I'd vote for the plug wires too.. easy job - and can't hurt -- and will eventually need to be done... the next pick would be the fuel pressure regulator

Ells

STS 310
12-23-04, 06:29 PM

I'd vote for the plug wires too.. easy job - and can't hurt -- and will eventually need to be done... the next pick would be the fuel pressure regulator

Ells

Would these things cause this problem even in neutral? Like I said, sometimes everything runs purrfect. And sometimes its sputtering like a jalopy.

dkozloski
12-23-04, 07:27 PM
A pilot wrote up an aircraft as the number 2 engine was missing. The pilot cleared the problem by replying "Engine found on wing after brief search".

ellives
12-23-04, 08:00 PM
Would these things cause this problem even in neutral? Like I said, sometimes everything runs purrfect. And sometimes its sputtering like a jalopy.

Absolutely.... my '97 STS was doing exactly that when I decided to replace the plugs and wires. Runs smooth as silk now.... 94K miles... woohoo

Ells

sts96
12-23-04, 09:24 PM
And I thought it was the mechanic that found the missing engine.!! sts96

Ranger
12-23-04, 10:21 PM
Mine idled just fine. Cruised just fine. WOT ok as well. but light acceleration, ran like shit!

93greeneldo
12-24-04, 05:14 PM
same here i needed new plug wires and plugs on my 98 eldorado. mine was fine when cold but as it warmed up it started to miss and run bad just like yours especially at low rpm's

Pjs
12-24-04, 07:00 PM
Mine does the same thing and it's got a new set of wires and plugs on it

STS 310
12-25-04, 05:11 PM
Mine idled just fine. Cruised just fine. WOT ok as well. but light acceleration, ran like shit!

Exactly Ranger. So plugs and wires was the remedy.

Ranger
12-25-04, 07:58 PM
Actually wires was the remedy. Plugs were due. Most of the platinum tips were gone and consequently the gaps were .65 -.70 but that did not fix the problem. Got OEM wires from http://www.rockauto.com/ for $116 + shipping ($122). Runs like it used to now.

STS 310
12-25-04, 08:51 PM
Well Ill start with the wires and see where that takes me.

peteski
12-27-04, 01:18 AM

Ells

My comment was tongue-in-cheek (for most part...)

:D

Peteski