: Traction Control Issue

cashmereDTS
11-26-12, 01:25 AM
Hi all.

The traction control on my 04 escalated has been engaging when the tires are not spinning. It seems to happen at low rpms, in first gear. It was happening occasionally in the summer but seems to be happening more often now. Any ideas as to what is happening here? Thanks.

the cadillac man
11-26-12, 09:15 AM
Hi all.

The traction control on my 04 escalated has been engaging when the tires are not spinning. It seems to happen at low rpms, in first gear. It was happening occasionally in the summer but seems to be happening more often now. Any ideas as to what is happening here? Thanks.

Wheel sensor
Try turning the traction control off (it's the little button with the car with lines behind it next to the urpa button)
If it doesn't do it when the system is off then it will work as a temporary fix till you can see which wheel sensor is bad.

spridget
11-30-12, 02:41 AM
+1 mine did same thing resets didn't work, new sensors did.

cashmereDTS
11-30-12, 10:35 AM
+1 mine did same thing resets didn't work, new sensors did.

Let me guess. The sensor is part of the hub and the whole hub assembly has to be changed right lol?

the cadillac man
11-30-12, 10:40 AM
Let me guess. The sensor is part of the hub and the whole hub assembly has to be changed right lol?

You are correct also the nut has to be tightened to 100ft/lb to prevent it from working back off.

cashmereDTS
11-30-12, 10:49 AM
You are correct also the nut has to be tightened to 100ft/lb to prevent it from working back off.

Which part manufacturer do you recommend? Is it worth the extra money to get the genune GM ac delco or pay less for after market such as rebestos?

the cadillac man
11-30-12, 12:56 PM
Which part manufacturer do you recommend? Is it worth the extra money to get the genune GM ac delco or pay less for after market such as rebestos?

I say that it's best to get gm parts as they are new not rebuilt.

mikedyk43
11-30-12, 06:46 PM

I'd say check the price AND warranty difference. I have found that while some brands may be a little less expensive, their warranty period is useless. Why pay $10 less for something with a one year warranty when you could have a lifetime warranty for a few more bucks.

the cadillac man
11-30-12, 07:56 PM
I'd say check the price AND warranty difference. I have found that while some brands may be a little less expensive, their warranty period is useless. Why pay $10 less for something with a one year warranty when you could have a lifetime warranty for a few more bucks.

Mike if its one thing I learned about warranty coverage the lifetime warranty can be a good thing or a bad think one example is brake pads and rotors those with lifetime coverage can cause rotor warpage and that can be bad if you don't have a lifetime warranty on the rotor

Just my 2 cents on that

cashmereDTS
12-06-12, 11:16 AM

I agree but the assemblies I've been looking at all have the same warranty period (12 months) whether it be ACDELCO Part # FW291 $201.79, SKF Part # BR930304 $146.79, MOOG/NATIONAL Part # 515036 $117.79, RAYBESTOS Part # 715036 $108.79, or TIMKEN Part # SP500300 $102.79. Note that part numbers are for 2004 Escalade AWD front assemblies. Prices are in US funds from Rockauto.

----------

I've also noticed that all of the above assemblies have a wire attached to them. It looks like these "wires" can be replaced and purchased separately.

Stupid question time lol.

1. Is the "wire" the ABS sensor?

2. Is the ABS Speed Sensor the same as a Wheel Speed Sensor or am I mixing up two different things?

Sorry if I'm confusing matters but, I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 11:59 AM
I agree but the assemblies I've been looking at all have the same warranty period (12 months) whether it be ACDELCO Part # FW291 $201.79, SKF Part # BR930304 $146.79, MOOG/NATIONAL Part # 515036 $117.79, RAYBESTOS Part # 715036 $108.79, or TIMKEN Part # SP500300 $102.79. Note that part numbers are for 2004 Escalade AWD front assemblies. Prices are in US funds from Rockauto.

----------

I've also noticed that all of the above assemblies have a wire attached to them. It looks like these "wires" can be replaced and purchased separately.

Stupid question time lol.

1. Is the "wire" the ABS sensor?

2. Is the ABS Speed Sensor the same as a Wheel Speed Sensor or am I mixing up two different things?

Sorry if I'm confusing matters but, I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks

The wire you see is the wheel speed sensor(aka the abs sensor) and I don't think it's removible.

cashmereDTS
12-06-12, 09:05 PM
The wire you see is the wheel speed sensor(aka the abs sensor) and I don't think it's removible.

Perhaps but rockauto sells an ABS sensor separately for our escalades that looks similar to the "wire" that I'm talking about that is connected to the hub assemblies..

Black88GTA
12-06-12, 10:42 PM
Perhaps but rockauto sells an ABS sensor separately for our escalades that looks similar to the "wire" that I'm talking about that is connected to the hub assemblies..

The ABS sensor is removable. I went through all of this this summer - my truck had a bad sensor as well. I replaced the bearing with a Timken unit, which came with a new sensor.

Here's a couple pics of the wheel bearing I replaced:

Side view. The part that fits into the steering knuckle is on the right. I took all of the wheel studs out. That screw is all that is holding the ABS sensor into the bearing. It's a 3/16" hex.
http://i.imgur.com/i3nm3.jpg?1

Mine popped right out.
http://i.imgur.com/3Ga51.jpg?1

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 11:18 PM
The ABS sensor is removable. I went through all of this this summer - my truck had a bad sensor as well. I replaced the bearing with a Timken unit, which came with a new sensor.

Here's a couple pics of the wheel bearing I replaced:

Side view. The part that fits into the steering knuckle is on the right. I took all of the wheel studs out. That screw is all that is holding the ABS sensor into the bearing. It's a 3/16" hex.

Mine popped right out.

Ok you proved me wrong live and learn

Black88GTA
12-07-12, 09:45 AM
Ok you proved me wrong live and learn

Not really out to prove anybody wrong. It's just that I spent forever looking for this exact information when I encountered the problem a few months back and couldn't seem to find it. I ended up grabbing the entire bearing just because I wasn't sure and didn't want to order something I couldn't use...or, have the part I ordered not fix my issue. Hopefully this will help the OP, as well as anyone else who may come looking for it in the future.

cashmereDTS
12-07-12, 10:40 AM
Not really out to prove anybody wrong. It's just that I spent forever looking for this exact information when I encountered the problem a few months back and couldn't seem to find it. I ended up grabbing the entire bearing just because I wasn't sure and didn't want to order something I couldn't use...or, have the part I ordered not fix my issue. Hopefully this will help the OP, as well as anyone else who may come looking for it in the future.

I agree. I don't think anyone is here to prove anyone wrong. We''re all here to ask questions and help others out the best we could. If we were all master mechanics, these forums wouldn't exist lol.

By the way, how has the Timken part been so far? Would you recommend it?

the cadillac man
12-07-12, 11:35 AM

In a way I always thought it wasn't a removable part and the whole thing had to be replaced(I never knew that the sensor was held in like that)

Black88GTA
12-07-12, 11:52 AM
I agree. I don't think anyone is here to prove anyone wrong. We''re all here to ask questions and help others out the best we could. If we were all master mechanics, these forums wouldn't exist lol.

By the way, how has the Timken part been so far? Would you recommend it?

Well put :)

The Timken part has been great, although I've only put maybe 2500 miles on it since. I got that one because Timken is a very well respected bearing manufacturer, so you get a known good quality part without the OEM price tag. The important part is the axle nut torque - I can't remember the exact spec though. Once you have the spec, you'll want to rent a 1/2" drive 50 - 250 ft-lb torque wrench from Autozone or somewhere (if you don't have one already) to torque it properly.

the cadillac man
12-07-12, 04:03 PM
Well put :)

The Timken part has been great, although I've only put maybe 2500 miles on it since. I got that one because Timken is a very well respected bearing manufacturer, so you get a known good quality part without the OEM price tag. The important part is the axle nut torque - I can't remember the exact spec though. Once you have the spec, you'll want to rent a 1/2" drive 50 - 250 ft-lb torque wrench from Autozone or somewhere (if you don't have one already) to torque it properly.

It's 100ft/lb

cashmereDTS
12-09-12, 12:33 PM
Ok. Great information so far. So here's my new question lol.

Now that we've established that the sensor could be replaced individually, is it worth it to take a chance and just replace the sensor instead of the whole hub assembly when the traction controll is kicking in for no reason? Everyone's situation could be different but, my 04 escalade only has 102 000 km (63 750 miles). What would you do?

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 12:39 PM

Now that we've established that the sensor could be replaced individually, is it worth it to take a chance and just replace the sensor instead of the whole hub assembly when the traction controll is kicking in for no reason? Everyone's situation could be different but, my 04 escalade only has 102 000 km (63 750 miles). What would you do?

First find out which sensor is needing replacing before you just start replacing them.

cashmereDTS
12-09-12, 01:22 PM
First find out which sensor is needing replacing before you just start replacing them.

How could I check other than taking it to the dealer?

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 02:17 PM
How could I check other than taking it to the dealer?

Does it pull or a wheel lock up when using the brakes?

wake
12-09-12, 02:20 PM

It's kinda dealer's choice. You might want to weigh cost versus risk.

On my old Trailblazer I made the mistake of buying hub assembiles off of eBay for cheap, a year later and I had problems with them. Replaced the speed sensor and no change. Turns out something was wrong with the reluctor wheel inside the hub. A new set of hubs for the front cured the problem.

So it could be the sensor, or it could be the reluctor wheel inside. If your looks like the poster above, meaning water has gotten in and rusted the inside then I'd say replace the whole assembly. You can do it individually but I always do these in pairs.

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 05:20 PM
It's kinda dealer's choice. You might want to weigh cost versus risk.

On my old Trailblazer I made the mistake of buying hub assembiles off of eBay for cheap, a year later and I had problems with them. Replaced the speed sensor and no change. Turns out something was wrong with the reluctor wheel inside the hub. A new set of hubs for the front cured the problem.

So it could be the sensor, or it could be the reluctor wheel inside. If your looks like the poster above, meaning water has gotten in and rusted the inside then I'd say replace the whole assembly. You can do it individually but I always do these in pairs.

I agree I had to do this on my previous car replaced one and had to replace the other later on.

cashmereDTS
12-09-12, 06:52 PM
Does it pull or a wheel lock up when using the brakes?

No pulling. The brakes work normally. The ABS kicks in when it should.

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 07:26 PM
No pulling. The brakes work normally. The ABS kicks in when it should.

It may electronic issues I still suggest getting the codes pulled it would help

cashmereDTS
12-10-12, 01:26 AM
It may electronic issues I still suggest getting the codes pulled it would help

You have a good point. Well if we can't figure out what's going on with my heat issue, i guess the dealer will have two things to look at.

SlvrDude
12-10-12, 03:43 PM
New here so if I'm right you saying to correct the traction control issue you replaced the ABS sensor on the hub of the right front steering nuckle.

the cadillac man
12-10-12, 05:03 PM
New here so if I'm right you saying to correct the traction control issue you replaced the ABS sensor on the hub of the right front steering nuckle.

There is four wheel sensors one at each wheel

smelly$cat
12-10-12, 06:16 PM
If your front wheel bearings haven't been replaced yet and you have over 100k, and the sensor is failing, I would just swap the whole bearing/sensor unit. Both of my bearings failed in the front eventually. Once at like 145k, the other at like 155k. I'm at 161k now with fresh bearings and sensors up front with no problems knock on wood.

cashmereDTS
12-11-12, 02:33 AM
If your front wheel bearings haven't been replaced yet and you have over 100k, and the sensor is failing, I would just swap the whole bearing/sensor unit. Both of my bearings failed in the front eventually. Once at like 145k, the other at like 155k. I'm at 161k now with fresh bearings and sensors up front with no problems knock on wood.

I'm leaning in that direction. I'm committed to the vehicle. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon. Just wondering which brand of hub sssembly you went with?

smelly$cat
12-11-12, 05:52 PM
I don't recall unfortunately. The first one I had a shop do when I lived in Seattle. The second one I did with a friend and we just bought the part via Car Quest for like 100.00. I don't recall the brand.

cashmereDTS
12-12-12, 03:48 PM
I don't recall unfortunately. The first one I had a shop do when I lived in Seattle. The second one I did with a friend and we just bought the part via Car Quest for like 100.00. I don't recall the brand.

Ok. No worries. Thanks for the input though.

----------

Ok. No worries. Thanks for the input though.