: Motor Swap 04 Escalade

CamDJC
11-25-12, 03:16 PM
Hi, I've got an 04 Escalade with the 6.0 LQ9 V8. My motor is pretty much blown, and I've been looking for a replacement motor everywhere and can not find one :( I guess the motor in these escalades are the LQ9 motor. I'm finding a few LQ4 Motors out of chevy 2500 HD's from the same year. Would an LQ4 6.0 motor go right in place of the LQ9 without any mods needed? Any answer would be great, as I need to know asap!! :bouncy:

6lbsofSound
11-25-12, 06:45 PM
I think you have your engine designations wrong. The LS9/LS7 is designated for the corvette ZR1 dry sump super high HP applications. Those engines are hand built and super expensive from gm performance on their own. You would need to find the Vortec version which is an LQ9. Good luck let us know how it works out.

the cadillac man
11-25-12, 08:02 PM
Hi, I've got an 04 Escalade with the 6.0 LS9 V8. My motor is pretty much blown, and I've been looking for a replacement motor everywhere and can not find one :( I guess the motor in these escalades are the LS9 motor. I'm finding a few LS4 Motors out of chevy 2500 HD's from the same year. Would an LS4 6.0 motor go right in place of the LS9 without any mods needed? Any answer would be great, as I need to know asap!! :bouncy:

I agree with the 6lbsofsound a car engine(which can't handle the duties of a truck engine) will not work in a truck

How did you blow your engine if you mind me asking

mikedyk43
11-25-12, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty sure a Corvette engine would do just fine, but is a bit more pricey. If I'm not mistaken I believe they have aluminium blocks where the LQ9 (Escalade, Silverado SS version) has a cast iron block. He has simply been looking for the incorrect part number.

the cadillac man
11-25-12, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure a Corvette engine would do just fine, but is a bit more pricey. If I'm not mistaken I believe they have aluminium blocks where the LQ9 (Escalade, Silverado SS version) has a cast iron block. He has simply been looking for the incorrect part number.

Your are correct mike the 6.0 truck engine is based on the corvette 6.0 the block material in the Corvette being aluminum is to save weight where as the truck engines don't have to save weight

I know as my uncle worked at gm and got to see a lot of this before we did(I have yet to ask if he knew about the escalade before it hit the showrooms) it does make me want to tour the corvette plant some point in the future.

sprink60
11-25-12, 11:58 PM
Hi, I've got an 04 Escalade with the 6.0 LS9 V8. My motor is pretty much blown, and I've been looking for a replacement motor everywhere and can not find one :( I guess the motor in these escalades are the LS9 motor. I'm finding a few LS4 Motors out of chevy 2500 HD's from the same year. Would an LS4 6.0 motor go right in place of the LS9 without any mods needed? Any answer would be great, as I need to know asap!! :bouncy:

You don't say where you are but there is a 2004 with a LQ9 being parted out for sale on Craigslist in West Palm Beach. The last ad I saw was asking $2200 for everything drive train wise from the transfer case. Might help you out.

CamDJC
11-26-12, 02:26 PM
You guys are awesome here, but the 2nd person who corrected me is right! I meant LQ motor, not the LS. I'm pretty sure I meant LQ4 and LQ9. Either way, would I be able to grab a Chevy or GMC 6.0 Vortec and drop it right into the Escalade?

6lbsofSound
11-26-12, 03:00 PM
Yes you can drop it in. Just swap over accessories. The only reason I mention trying to find an LQ9 is because the heads and intake are designed for low end tourque. Which you need to move these land barges

CamDJC
11-26-12, 03:10 PM
Sweet!! Any specific year range? And what about the sensors and stuff?

the cadillac man
11-26-12, 03:57 PM
Sweet!! Any specific year range? And what about the sensors and stuff?

Most sensors will not work with just any PCM you have to make sure that the sensors will work with your PCM if they don't it can cause trouble

I do know that the gen 2 and gen 3 body styles can't swap modules and is say the 1 gen is the same way but not sure on that

CamDJC
11-26-12, 04:04 PM
Okay, because I found a great deal on a 6.0 Vortec motor from a 2005 Chevy Suburban. Will I be okay and it's just going to be "plug and play", or do I need to change anything?

6lbsofSound
11-26-12, 04:14 PM
Should be plug and play for the most part.

CamDJC
11-26-12, 04:30 PM
Thats what I like to hear :)