: Here i go again about oil

Stoneage_Caddy
12-21-04, 03:05 PM
Interesting article here :
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7665

but its the last bit thats really interesting , and i quote :

I can't swear this is a "that which you fear most" syndrome but clearly a problem that was dead and buried has returned. The cause is probably a combination of extended oil change intervals (5000 miles or greater) done so they can claim lower average maintenance costs. Less total oil in the engine (saves weight and expense) and hotter-running engines (lower emissions) all add up to a re-refining of the oil while it's in the car, cooking it down to a nice sludge. I advise you to go online to find out if your model car has any reports of oil sludging, and if it does, switch to synthetic oil at the next oil change. Maybe this will slow the rush to super long-life oil (15,000 miles or better) that I have been hearing about, something I fear most.

So , once again the thought of a 3k oil change is valid ?

I havent heard of sludging on 4.9s so ill contunie to trust the oil life monitor and use my devac.

but what about northstars , 3.0 , 3.2, 3.6 engines ? These modern day gems might be a little more sensitve ?

Ralph
12-21-04, 03:56 PM
Poor Toyota! I've read about new Camry's having the sludge problem as well.

I could never wait 15,000 miles to change the oil. It would pick up a lot of contaminants along the way and imagine how black it would be!

Night Wolf
12-21-04, 04:02 PM
I am anal with the sludge thing too....

I believe the 4.9 have a very high tolerance.. and don't sludge that easy....

I am also a true believer in synthetic oil... I have been using it since 80k on the '93.. now has 98k..... and the '79 also gets Mobil 1.... although it is kind of sludgey in there... the Olds isn't really clean, but not bad...

3k is way to soon though.... on the '93 I go by the oil life monitor, on the '79.. I change it every 3k or so... mostly because I hardly drive it and I will only put 3-5k/year on it... the last oil change (first one i did) had only 2k on it.. but was about 8 months old... the Olds gets regular oil and I change it every 4-5k

The NorthStar dosn't seem to have any problem with sludge....

ljklaiber
12-21-04, 06:30 PM
It is ridiculous in this day and age of hi buck automobiles to place any cost factor on engine oil. The most valuable factor in an internal combustion engine is OIL! It is CHEAP...considering all that is expected of it. Try Draining the pan and see how far you drive and at what expense, Whatever oil you choose is of no significance. Just change it often. the 3 k rule works. plus filter. CHEAP as well. One tire equals a few oil changes and yet a blown tire does not ruin an engine.

RBraczyk
12-21-04, 07:34 PM
No sludge in the blazer, just varnish :)

Night Wolf
12-21-04, 09:09 PM
It is ridiculous in this day and age of hi buck automobiles to place any cost factor on engine oil. The most valuable factor in an internal combustion engine is OIL! It is CHEAP...considering all that is expected of it. Try Draining the pan and see how far you drive and at what expense, Whatever oil you choose is of no significance. Just change it often. the 3 k rule works. plus filter. CHEAP as well. One tire equals a few oil changes and yet a blown tire does not ruin an engine.

eh... but in todays world with oil as good as they are... changing oil every 3k is like checking the tire pressure everyday....

ljklaiber
12-21-04, 10:21 PM
BS Nightwolf

Drive it like ya stole it! Change oil for 15 bucks and then Cry!

cadibrougham
12-27-04, 01:40 AM
if you change your pcv valve and check to make sure that it works then you will not have to worry about sludge. positve crankcase venalation

if the crankcase can breath and the oil is not so old that it has turned to water then their will not be much sludge if the engine has always been cared for.

i change the oil once a month regardless of the miles. if the miles are 500 or 5000. i did this on my aunts brougham and she has gotten 341000 miles out of the 93 brougham she sold it because the seats were wore out. :)

Msilva954
12-27-04, 10:10 AM
Im gettin a oil change at the dealer today but I have a few observations:

1) Obviously everytime I go to the dealer their oil change sticker is WAY premature then the oil indicator.

2)Even after the oil indicator is depleted the car continues to say "Change Oil Soon" in amber and not the RED one that requires a change.

Msilva954
12-27-04, 10:12 AM
Im gettin a oil change at the dealer today but I have a few observations:

1) Obviously everytime I go to the dealer their oil change sticker is WAY premature then the oil indicator.

2)Even after the oil indicator is depleted the car continues to say "Change Oil Soon" in amber and not the RED one that requires a change.

So all in all...ive waited about 500-1000 milse what the oil indicator suggests because after inspecting the oil its still in fantastic shape.....and yea I know you cant really tell by just looking at it but Im pretty sure its safe...but its being changed today.

elwesso
12-27-04, 12:18 PM
First of all, the "tight tolerances" have nothing to do with sludging... Its the contaminants that bulid up and eventually break it down.....

I run mobil 1 in this Q because the engine is clean and its actually worth something.. Im doing it based on time, every 4 months instead of my usual 3 months... maybe 4000 miles, and i only use high quality filters...

The best way to end the debate on OCIs is to have an oil analysis done.. Do a google search for blackstone labs... These things are really good, and can really show the condition of the engine internally, as well of how often to change hte oil. Spend the $10 extra (for a total of $30) to have a TBN. It analyzes the oil and compares it to brand new oil of the same brand, and tells you how much "life" was left in the oil.. if you have a TBN of say, 8, you can extend your OCI a little.. but if your down to 2 or so, you should keep it hte same.....

DaveSmed
12-28-04, 02:32 AM
Wes should know about the ill effects of sludge more than anyone. ;) Also, the red oil indicator does not mean Change oil Now, it means No oil pressure, shut the car off! The amber one is the only one tied to the oil life.