: XTS glove box won't open

ljl&jll
11-25-12, 01:54 PM
I love my new xts! But my glove box won't open most of the time. Occasionally, it works on the second or third time. Is there something I can do until I get time to take it to the dealer, Especially if I need my registration cause I get caught going too fast.

CAPT Mike
11-25-12, 03:57 PM
The touch controls needs to be treated "tenderly." Smashing the button won't make the glove box open better or the CUE controls function better. Press gently and it will work.

ljl&jll
11-25-12, 04:29 PM
The mechanism is making an unlock sound. It appears to be the left side lock that is binding. The right side seems to be free after the unlock button is pressed.

rayle
11-25-12, 10:27 PM
It's interesting that the XTS is having this problem, too. My 2011 Coupe glove box has never opened properly. We thank the gods when it chooses to open on the first press of the button, which is about 20% of the time. Thankfully, we don't need to get in there very often, but when we do, it is a challenge.

CAPT Mike
11-26-12, 12:11 AM
when the door is closed, does it looked aligned? If not, binding could occur. When you close the door, do you push it with enought force to latch both sides (again forcefully but not slamming it shut)? If you're doing this right and it still hangs up, I am at a loss...it's dealer time.

PeteK
11-26-12, 06:39 PM
It looks like you may be having a known issue. There's a PI listed in this month's GM Techlink newsletter:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/October-Techlink-2012-F.pdf

XTS — Repair guidelines for intermittent, partial or no power glove box function DO: Repair glove box. DON'T: Replace glove box. REF: PI0778

Cadillac Tony
11-28-12, 01:24 PM
It's a known issue. As PeteK posted above, there is a document showing dealers how to repair the issue. Call your service department and make an appointment to have it taken care of.

ljl&jll
11-28-12, 05:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I am sure they will fix it.

webrobby
05-18-13, 07:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I am sure they will fix it.

Glad I found this thread, it does make me feel a bit better. I had my car form7 days and the glove box makes a noise but will not open. Of course it started Friday night so I had to wait until Monday to get it in for service.

TimTown
05-22-13, 10:50 AM
Glad I found this thread, it does make me feel a bit better. I had my car form7 days and the glove box makes a noise but will not open. Of course it started Friday night so I had to wait until Monday to get it in for service.

On my 2013 XTS, it takes a gentle nudge on the door to the close position and a soft tap on the open button and then it opens (sometimes). I'm taking the car in to have it serviced.

Fbodfather
05-31-13, 12:51 PM
I took my XTS in to Don Gooley Cadillac for a creak in the front seat. I'd forgotten to mention the glove box issue (the right side had a larger gap than the left...)

I was delighted that when I picked up the car, they noticed the gap - and fixed it without being told about it.

THAT'S great customer service!

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 01:38 PM
I took my XTS in to Don Gooley Cadillac for a creak in the front seat. I'd forgotten to mention the glove box issue (the right side had a larger gap than the left...)

I was delighted that when I picked up the car, they noticed the gap - and fixed it without being told about it.

THAT'S great customer service!

Hello Fbodfather,

I am happy to hear about this! That is great customer service, and sounds like an awesome dealership. Glad to know your vehicle concerns were taken care of.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept
05-31-13, 02:10 PM
the glovebox issue with the XTS is a known service campaign right now
the techs are supposed to try and operate the glovebox ten times and if it fails to open any of those ten times it gets replaced

call a dealer and schedule an appointment ... get it fixed and be happy

CDN XTS
05-31-13, 02:48 PM
Should it be called "glove box" or "hidden CD drive"? LOL.:tease: Once you placed the manuals inside, you may just have enough space for a pair of driving gloves. - not heavy winter gloves.

TimTown
06-02-13, 08:03 PM
the glovebox issue with the XTS is a known service campaign right now
the techs are supposed to try and operate the glovebox ten times and if it fails to open any of those ten times it gets replaced

call a dealer and schedule an appointment ... get it fixed and be happy

In my case, touching the open button did activate the latch mechanisms, but regardless of the times I tried, it just would not open; UNLESS I gently pushed on the upper left side of the door, and then touched the open button. The technician stated that he had to adjust the length of a cable (I presume in a clamp or some such). It now works fine.

RippyPartsDept
06-03-13, 12:53 PM
ok cool

good to know

thanks for the update

z06bigbird
06-09-13, 04:26 AM
If all else fails, Harbor freight has a sale on crow bars this week.