: 06 sts air bag problem

caddooo44
11-24-12, 08:45 PM
A new problem is starting now. Every now and then my display is saying " Service Air bag " and the passenger side air bag light comes on. Then after a while it goes off. Can anyone tell me WTF is going on???

ddalder
11-24-12, 08:51 PM
Without scanning it for codes, any assumptions or guesses are nothing more than a shot in the dark. It doesn't sound like you have enough information to pursue any sort of meaningful repair. Not very many shops have a scan tool that can access the SIR system. You're likely looking at a dealer for diagnosis.

EChas3
11-24-12, 10:27 PM
Members have posted reports of trouble after removing passenger seats without following shop manual procedures. These are quite sophisticated cars.

I agree with DD on diagnosis.

Ludacrisvp
11-25-12, 03:44 AM
When my airbag issue came up it was passenger presence system. Dealer installed new passenger seat bottom and calibrated system to fix. Some people get by with moving wires around under passenger seat. CTS had a recall for this system but the STS did not. If you are going with wild guess diagnostics my money is on the passenger presence system.

caddooo44
11-25-12, 03:57 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback. Just one more thing is it dangerous to have my kids in the car ? Theres no way that the air bag could get deployed is there ?? let me know thanks

ddalder
11-25-12, 04:03 PM
Generally, when you have an airbag system fault, the entire system is disabled (while the fault is detected) so it is very unlikely deployment will occur. If you had a car with significant water intrusion that affected the SDM (Sensing & Diagnostic Module), it is possible. Even these are sealed though so it's very remote.

I would agree with Ludacrisvp about the PPS (Passenger Presence System) being higher on the suspect list. The only way to know for sure though is to have the car scanned. Since there are special tools and calibration procedures to service the PPS, you're still looking at a dealership repair if it is this.

curtc
11-25-12, 05:31 PM
I get the occasional Service Air Bag indicator too...Have found if the GF jiggles the wiring harness underneath the passenger seat it goes away, plan on digging in further come spring time when it warms up as I have no garage.

caddooo44
11-25-12, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone. i appreciate all the helpful info.

rivgal1964
11-27-12, 01:11 PM
This happened to us as well, every once in a while the service air bag came on, my husband is not here right now to ask but I think what he did was wiggled some wires under the drivers seat, I think all it was was a loose connection..hope this helps

curtc
11-27-12, 03:25 PM
This happened to us as well, every once in a while the service air bag came on, my husband is not here right now to ask but I think what he did was wiggled some wires under the drivers seat, I think all it was was a loose connection..hope this helps

Same EXACT scenario I am presently dealing with....Happens maybe 2-3 times/month.

rivgal1964
11-27-12, 06:07 PM
yes Curtc, this happens to us as well a couple times a year:banghead:

Daves_05_STS
12-31-12, 10:22 PM
Same here in my 05. Obviously a connector issue as I move the Driver's seat fwd/back a bit till the msg goes away.

curtc
01-01-13, 02:25 PM
Same here in my 05. Obviously a connector issue as I move the Driver's seat fwd/back a bit till the msg goes away.

Yep, connection related for sure, I plan on digging into it come spring time.

Lifer
01-02-13, 04:54 PM
Generally, when you have an airbag system fault, the entire system is disabled (while the fault is detected) so it is very unlikely deployment will occur. If you had a car with significant water intrusion that affected the SDM (Sensing & Diagnostic Module), it is possible. Even these are sealed though so it's very remote.

If you got the SDM wet you are in a heap of trouble. I believe the SDM is in the console area and needs high water to get to it. An they are sealed, but if they get wet the are prone to fail.

For codes - hit the On-Star button on the mirror and the person on the other end will read them to you. I have subscription and have done this a few time.;

EChas3
01-02-13, 10:46 PM
^^^ Like many aftermarket code scanners, Onstar only reads the main computer codes. Body module, etc. requires specific scanners or a dealer visit.

ddalder
01-03-13, 12:03 AM
If you got the SDM wet you are in a heap of trouble. I believe the SDM is in the console area and needs high water to get to it. An they are sealed, but if they get wet the are prone to fail.

For codes - hit the On-Star button on the mirror and the person on the other end will read them to you. I have subscription and have done this a few time.;
I'm not sure if you've ever worked with SDM's directly, but these are not the same as years ago. The SDM is a completely sealed unit. The connector that interfaces the SDM to the main body harness is also a high grade, sealed connector of the same style as those used in exterior applications (under body, under hood, etc) where moisture is common. Each wire going into the connector is also individually sealed, along with the insulation on the wire itself. Each terminal is also gold plated. Unless there is physical damage, or extremely prolonged submersion, moisture is definitely not a problem. It is located underneath the center console. If it was ever submerged, there are a lot of other components and connectors that would be damaged long before the SDM.

Any time I've ever asked OnStar for codes, they have always declined my request. The most they have ever told me is what system is affected (power train, SRS, etc) and offered to assist me in booking a service appointment.

----------

To expand on this a little more, the SDM will record specific vehicle data for several seconds immediately before a deployment. This is the biggest reason these need to be so well protected. To retrieve an SDM that was submerged and not protected would likely render little or no information.

MattF
01-30-13, 10:40 AM
Hello,

I have an issue with the airbag on my '06 STS for literally the last three years and 8 fixes by the dealer.

Airbag light first went on under warranty so the dealer has fixed each subsequent occurrence at no charge. Just about everything has been replaced expect the seats themselves and each time the light goes away and comes back ~6 months after the "fix".

Not sure what to do except keep taking it in.

C&C
01-30-13, 12:11 PM
I also was getting a service airbag light on my '06 (it only happened when the passenger seat was placed in the full back position), jiggling the connector would extinguish the light (or moving the seat up a little). Have since traded up to an '11 (no problems for me with this year).

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-30-13, 02:24 PM
Hello,

I have an issue with the airbag on my '06 STS for literally the last three years and 8 fixes by the dealer.

Airbag light first went on under warranty so the dealer has fixed each subsequent occurrence at no charge. Just about everything has been replaced expect the seats themselves and each time the light goes away and comes back ~6 months after the "fix".

Not sure what to do except keep taking it in.

MattF, I apologize for your persistent frustration! I can understand how aggravating it must be to make frequent returns to your dealership! Have you contacted our Customer Assistance Center yet to discuss this? Please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm happy to explore your next steps with you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

EChas3
01-30-13, 08:51 PM
Matt -

Contact Katie and let us know if she gets you new seats (or whatever).