: Need help with potential new sound system!

Chobes13
11-24-12, 01:45 AM
Okay, so I wanted to buy a new sound system for my 01' Catera. But before we get started, I have little to no knowledge of this topic. Anyway, It has the Bose sound system in it and I want something a little nicer. I've been doing some research and I can't seem to find a helpful source. What I have read has said I will need a new head unit. If I get a new head unit, will I need all new speakers too? I've heard the speakers will only work with the stock head unit. I need some help with a few things.
- Do I even need a new head unit?
- If I do, are they're any simple kits that are easy to install?
- Is it even worth it?
I really want a new sound system. But for all I know it's going to be a pain in the ass. Is it even worth it? If there is going to loads of work involved I probably won't even bother. It will save me a few bucks, that's for sure. I'm really counting on your opinions! Thanks!

MoistCabbage
11-24-12, 02:45 AM
You can buy an adapter to use an after market HU with the Bose system. The problem comes when you want to change the speakers or amps. The Bose speakers can only be used with the stick, Bose amps, and the Bose amps can only be used with the stock, Bose speakers.

If you want want to change the speakers or amps, you'll have to do BOTH, and you'll have to run new wires to the speakers. In other words, it would almost be like adding an audio system, to a car that didn't have one in the first place.

kaustein
11-24-12, 11:05 AM
I keep it as is. It was one of the few electrical systems that never gave me a problem.