Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I have a sound like the power steering pulley is bad

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  phili1 
#1 ·
I had a replaced power steering line on my 2006 DTS with 68,000 miles, about amonth ago. Now it sounds like the pulley is bad. The motor sounds noisier than nomal. I bought a new drive belt, because when I spayed some belt dressing on belt the niose would stop. We slid old belt off power steering pump and he turned pulley. We could not find where the noise is coming from the power steering pulley. We both thought if the niose was coming from a pulley the spay would not help. The old belt looks good and was tight. The book says drive belt should last 150,000. The noise is not your nomal squeel or slipping sound. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so what did u do? I did not want to change that belt if it is good, cause that belt has to be the hardest one I ever seen.
Help Please!
Thanks

#4 ·
I did a power steering flush a month or so ago, but despite using about 4 qts of fresh AC Delco power steering fluid, the fluid was already extremely dark a few days later. I decided to go ahead and change the pump. I bought a Duralast remanufactured one but was whining although I did the installation to the t. I then returned it and bought a brand new AC Delco pump...problem solved. FIY buy the fluid from the dealer...they charge about 8-9 bucks a qt instead of 7.99 for 1/2 qt of Lucas at Walmart. There was quite a bit of metallic debris in the fluid and so the pump was about to go bad or already bad. (1) So it might be the pump because I only have maybe 3,000 mi more than yours (2) maybe the mechanic did not bleed the system properly or now the return hose is bad and letting air into the system. (3) Or the last thing I can think of is the tensioner is going bad (but I'm assuming it isn't since you said the belt is tight).

#6 ·
Cut out 4 squares of cardboard - 1 foot squares. Place 2 stacked squares on the floor in front of each front wheel and drive the car onto the center of the squares. Check that the power steering fluid is in the proper hashmark area on the cap/dipstick. With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel fully lock-to-lock several times, holding the wheel at lock only until you hear a hissing/pump whine noise. This removes the last bit of air from the steering rack cylinder ends. Check the fluid level.

#7 ·
I got tired of putting off, putting on the new belt myself, to see if that was where the noise was comming from. I alraedy had GM belt, local dealer said "come down, they will install for $50." Once I got there, that doubled. They had to clean alot of old power steering fliud of all pullies. The problem is now solved.The belt was ruined from line leaking. I did not wan't to believe a belt would make all those different loud nioses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.