: Installing a two post lift

Dollar Bill
11-23-12, 05:55 AM
I have been wanting a lift for some time, so I decided to pull the trigger. I checked with friends and found that this lift (made in China and re-branded under several names) was what I wanted. Prices for the same lift ranged from $2100 to $1399. It will lift 9,000 pounds.

I had seen one already installed and was impressed by the quality of this lift. Welds were very good, good steel, quality parts and good instructions.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/2-post-car-lift-al2-9k-ac-asymmetric-9000-lb-p/al2-9k-ac.htm

So I ordered it from California on Friday and picked it up from a stocking/shipping warehouse in Atlanta on Monday!!

They loaded it in my 6x12 enclosed Trailer. I got it home and proceeded to unload it by securing a heavy tow strap to an "I" beam in my warehouse and driving the van forward. Since the strap was anchored very high, the end of the package lifted and slid down the ramp of my trailer.

Once on the floor, I used an impact wrench to remove the lift from the angle steel holding the package together.

After assembling the top part of the column, I used a Genie lift to stand it upright

Then rolling the Genie lift placed the first column and anchored it to the floor with 5 massive 3/4" x 5" expansion bolts. I am 6'1" so you can get an idea of the size of this puppy!

While my wife, Anne, sorted the parts bag. A very important part of the assembly!

I then assembled the top beam, ran a 220v line in conduit. Installed the hydraulic lines and pump.

Bled the system, ran it up and down a few times and decided to risk my trusty Astro van!! It lifted smooth and easy. I actually lifted it higher than the picture. I was concerned that it might hit the cross-beam, but there is a safety switch that will stop the vehicle frm hitting the beam. With an overall height of 12' and a lift of 6' the vehicle would have to be over 6' tall to hit the cross-beam safety.

All went well! At last the finished product!

I striped some lines to make getting the car centered easier. The lift has 93" drive through clearance. Plenty of room

Here are the lifting arms with the arms on the left extended.

Here is a view of the hydraulic lifting cylinder. The hydraulics actually lift the car, but there are big equalizing cables to be sure that one hydarulic cylinder does not lift one side higher than the other.

If you look to the right inside of the upright, you will see indentations where the lift locks into place. These are as sturdy as jack stands and support the car when you reach your desired height. You must unlock these before you can lower the car. I would not want to be under a car supported only by a hydraulic wheher a lift or a floor jack!

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u663/Cadillac_Bill/11lift.jpg

Have you noticed what is missing???? I NEED AN ELDORADO BROUGHAM! PM me if you know of one for sale. I am not looking for a 100 point show car, just something I can drive to car meets and cruise ins.

You can spend a lot more on a lift, but unless you have a production shop, I can't imagine why!

Hope you have enjoyed this as much as we have doing it. And if you have been waiting too put in a lift, and you have $1399 (plus $100 handling fee), Wait No Longer!!! Check out the shorter one if you have 11' ceilings.

And if you get to Atlanta, give us a shout and we would love to meet you

Bill
I NEED AN ELDORADO BROUGHAM! 1957-1958

rodnok01
11-23-12, 08:25 AM
Looks good and a dang good price too. That's a hell of a big shop... you could fit my 40x60 in there a few times(yes I'm jealous) :)

thebigjimsho
11-23-12, 08:30 AM
Someone has a wedgie...

Submariner409
11-23-12, 09:02 AM
Green with envy ......... I don't have garage room or height for a lift BUT 200 yards up the gravel road, with 2 of those lifts, is my neighbor - Charlie The Transmission Man. The 4 families down in our woods have a symbiotic relationship - Charlie gets venison and vegetables from me and Karen and I get unlimited lift privileges. Charlie can get any car part on earth FedEx'd to his shop at some breathtaking wholesale discounts............

vincentm
11-23-12, 01:20 PM
So jealous, congratulations. Man I'd love one and a shop to accommodate it, I'd start my own repair business and get out of IT work.

CadillacLuke24
11-26-12, 01:35 AM
That is awesome! Congratulations!!

Dollar Bill
12-10-12, 09:24 AM
We bought this warehouse in 2001 with two acres of land, downtown Atlanta, for less than the price of a single family home in our area. We built our home inside it and still have quite a garage!

Submariner409
12-10-12, 10:10 AM
We bought this warehouse in 2001 with two acres of land, downtown Atlanta, for less than the price of a single family home in our area. We built our home inside it and still have quite a garage!

Very, very tricky !!!

LS1Mike
12-10-12, 09:23 PM
Looks awesome!