: Remember to close the door!

inspectorudy
11-23-12, 02:31 AM
I recently picked up some friends at the airport and opened the rear hatch by the door button and they all climbed in after throwing their bags in the back. I had never turned the engine off so it was still running. I put the car into gear but with everyone talking loudly barely heard the three little chimes that warn you of the rear door being open. Anyway I drove away with the rear door up but noticed a loud road noise coming from the rear. I turned and realized that the door was up. The bad news is that you cannot just push the button to get it to close you have to stop and put the car into park. In a busy airport exit that was not very much fun. Anyway just a reminder and I was very surprised that there was not some big warning on the instrument cluster to let you know that the door was up.

300:29:1
11-23-12, 04:42 AM
I had the same thing happen. Very frustrating that you have to stop and get out to close the door.

Terry Judkins
11-23-12, 10:48 AM
Same here. I had to stop and dart into traffic to retrieve cargo that had fallen out. Not fun.

sube5186
11-23-12, 02:10 PM
You should be getting a warning message in the DIC that the rear hatch is still open. Maybe you never noticed this.

Sube

11-23-12, 05:56 PM
You should be getting a warning message in the DIC that the rear hatch is still open. Maybe you never noticed this.

Sube

I'll have to check on that. Thanks Sube.

morven39
11-23-12, 06:32 PM
Had the same thing happen when I left the golf course the other day. Thought I had closed the hatch but I didn't. As soon as I pulled out and started to leave, the chimes reminded me it was open. Glad that I was not in traffic and nothing fell out. I just stopped, depressed the button on the driver's side door which closed the hatch. At least I didn't have to get out and go to the rear and depress the button on the hatch.

11-23-12, 06:35 PM
Had the same thing happen when I left the golf course the other day. Thought I had closed the hatch but I didn't. As soon as I pulled out and started to leave, the chimes reminded me it was open. Glad that I was not in traffic and nothing fell out. I just stopped, depressed the button on the driver's side door which closed the hatch. At least I didn't have to get out and go to the rear and depress the button on the hatch.

So you CAN close the hatch with the button on the driver's door?

Marc NY
11-23-12, 06:57 PM
Yes you can... :)

BTW: You can also adjust the max. height it will open up too ... so that if you want to open your rear hatch inside your garage you won't damage the rear gate on the overhead garage door.

11-23-12, 07:15 PM
Yes you can... :)

BTW: You can also adjust the max. height it will open up too ... so that if you want to open your rear hatch inside your garage you won't damage the rear gate on the overhead garage door.

Thanks Marc! I'm aware of the adjustable height. I used this at first so that I wouldn't have to reach high to press the close button. I have no issue with height in the garage. I found that when the hatch didn't open fully, I would inevitably bump my head. That got old fast.

Marc NY
11-23-12, 08:02 PM
... I found that when the hatch didn't open fully, I would inevitably bump my head. That got old fast. OHHH MY I can feel the pain in my head already just thinking of that happening. I know it is not fun at all... OUCH! :bonkers:

inspectorudy
11-24-12, 12:58 PM
My suggestion would be that any time the rear hatch is open to make the DIC appear just like it does after a remote start which is blank of any usable data. The bad thing about the rear hatch not being able to be closed while moving is that you have to stop, no matter where you are, and put the car into park to use the door button. I understand the reason to not allow it to be opened while moving but why would they choose to not allow it to be closed while moving? I am not sure but I believe that the DIC warning is only momentary and not continuous and that is why I did not notice it.

11-24-12, 05:02 PM
Thanks Sube and Marc. I closed it using the button on the driver's door. Much easier that getting out. There are times when I open it and for whatever reason forget to close it.