: will smaller shocks help lower my escalade after changing to 3" drop springs

SaulT
11-22-12, 07:40 PM
I changed my springs but still didn't get enough drop will the smaller shocks help?

the cadillac man
11-22-12, 07:47 PM
I changed my springs but still didn't get enough drop will the smaller shocks help?

Nope I think you will need drop spindles

SaulT
11-23-12, 10:24 AM
I meant on the rear sorry didn't specify

capriRS
11-23-12, 10:31 AM
you will need differant springs to go lower, but if you go any lower i would get some differant shocks!

mikedyk43
11-23-12, 10:57 PM
You might also want to check that you are not already hitting your bump stops. I dropped mine about 4-5 inches in the back and had to remove the bump stops and cut off their mounts with an angle grinder. If you drop it 4 inches and don't cut off the bump stop mount, the first bump you hit on the freeway will introduce your rear axle to your frame. Yeah, its kind of uncomfortable!

SaulT
11-24-12, 10:03 AM
so mikedyk43 you changed your springs and shocks or just the springs? I have the 3" drop springs but I don't think it's getting the full drop I also got the shock ectenders now I'm wanting the smaller shocks you think that drop it another inch?

the cadillac man
11-24-12, 10:23 AM
so mikedyk43 you changed your springs and shocks or just the springs? I have the 3" drop springs but I don't think it's getting the full drop I also got the shock ectenders now I'm wanting the smaller shocks you think that drop it another inch?

You haven't mentioned if your truck is rear wheel drive or all wheel drive because if its the later one there is a limit as to how low you can go.

SaulT
11-24-12, 12:37 PM
Mine is the rear wheel drive

the cadillac man
11-24-12, 03:38 PM
Mine is the rear wheel drive

Then you should have no problem as the rear wheel drive won't hit nothing where as the all wheel drive front drive shaft hits if you lower it too much

SaulT
11-24-12, 05:30 PM
any good websites whereI can find some drop shocks?

mikedyk43
11-24-12, 07:42 PM

I only changed the rear springs and front spindles. Stock air ride shocks with 3 inch extenders. I believe I installed 5 inch drop springs because I ultimately put some lift wedges in them because it was too low (hitting the frame when I hit bumps). Don't waste your time with drop shocks unless you are maxing out the ones you have. It doesn't sound like you are especially with shock extenders. What you need are different springs. Here is a picture of what mine looks like:
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u669/mikedyk43/MonNov12165811PST2012_zps857230f8.jpg
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u669/mikedyk43/MonNov12165812PST2012_zpsa68f518c.jpg

SaulT
11-24-12, 09:20 PM
your escalade looks super clean I like it, well I took off my 3" drop springs and cut stock springs and it dropped the amount I wanted now it's even thanks for telling me about the shocks I was going to buy them but good thing I didn't ill post pics tomorrow it's night already

mikedyk43
11-24-12, 09:27 PM
your escalade looks super clean I like it, well I took off my 3" drop springs and cut stock springs and it dropped the amount I wanted now it's even thanks for telling me about the shocks I was going to buy them but good thing I didn't ill post pics tomorrow it's night already

Thanks for the compliment, the debadging and blacked out emblems help the "clean" look I was going for. Let me know how it rides once you get it on the road. I have a few tricks if you are hitting axle to frame.

the cadillac man
11-24-12, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the compliment, the debadging and blacked out emblems help the "clean" look I was going for. Let me know how it rides once you get it on the road. I have a few tricks if you are hitting axle to frame.

Mike I like your rims they look great
I would lower my truck but I live on a road that would cause hitting the frame and you know how that feels(there are potholes about as big as my stock rims in places)

ROCKETW19
11-25-12, 04:35 PM
You might also want to check that you are not already hitting your bump stops. I dropped mine about 4-5 inches in the back and had to remove the bump stops and cut off their mounts with an angle grinder. If you drop it 4 inches and don't cut off the bump stop mount, the first bump you hit on the freeway will introduce your rear axle to your frame. Yeah, its kind of uncomfortable!

yes make sure you are not on the bump stops.
I lowered 4" in back and used the short bump stops and it still looks like it is gonna hit.

----------

yes make sure you are not on the bump stops.
I lowered 4" in back and used the short bump stops and it still looks like it is gonna hit.

SaulT
12-01-12, 01:33 PM

SaulT
12-01-12, 01:36 PM
it took me a while but there's the picture of my escalade after cutting the stock springs and changing the torsion keys

the cadillac man
12-01-12, 02:27 PM
it took me a while but there's the picture of my escalade after cutting the stock springs and changing the torsion keys

Nice pic

wesyder
12-01-12, 02:53 PM
I only changed the rear springs and front spindles. Stock air ride shocks with 3 inch extenders. I believe I installed 5 inch drop springs because I ultimately put some lift wedges in them because it was too low (hitting the frame when I hit bumps). Don't waste your time with drop shocks unless you are maxing out the ones you have. It doesn't sound like you are especially with shock extenders. What you need are different springs. Here is a picture of what mine looks like:

Nice rig ..... Fellow So.Cal

mikedyk43
12-02-12, 02:48 AM

I looks great! How does it ride that low?

Nice rig ..... Fellow So.Cal

Thank you.

SaulT
12-02-12, 06:12 PM
it rides pretty good mikedyk43 I thought it was going to be bouncy but no

TLMC
12-03-12, 08:06 PM
You have to trick the air ride system. There is a sensor at every wheel,take the rod off and remove one end cap. You will see a grove in it,cut at that grove and glue the end cap back on. Reattach to truck and you will gain about an inch more drop. I have a 3 inch drop and extenders. The kit came with front keys for the torsion bars but that was too much drop,could not get a good alignment. Reinstalled factory keys and backed them off and lowered front about 2 inches.