: Extended crank time- bad fuel pump?

Precisionmike
11-22-12, 01:23 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all!

I have a 2002 Escalade. When I try to start (regardless of how warm or cold the motor is), I have to hold the key to start for at least 3 seconds. If I release the key and try it a second time, it fires right up.

I have replace the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator, no change. I do not have the tool to check the fuel pressure. My fear it a bad fuel pump. Is there anything else I should check? How hard is a fuel pump for a seasoned DIY? Thanks! Mike.

the cadillac man
11-22-12, 03:51 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all!

I have a 2002 Escalade. When I try to start (regardless of how warm or cold the motor is), I have to hold the key to start for at least 3 seconds. If I release the key and try it a second time, it fires right up.

I have replace the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator, no change. I do not have the tool to check the fuel pressure. My fear it a bad fuel pump. Is there anything else I should check? How hard is a fuel pump for a seasoned DIY? Thanks! Mike.

You have to drop the tank and there are three lines and two harnesses that go to the pump

You can find YouTube videos of how to do this but I couldn't do for 2 reasons one my back and two I don't have the space or a lift to do the work

nsx24
11-24-12, 05:55 PM
You are correct about it being the fuel pump, ask me how I know. 2 fuel pumps in 20 months in my 03 Escalade. Both times starting out that it cranked a little longer, then took two times of cranking and then three before it finally died on me. I feel like a pro when it comes to changing so if you need any help let me know.