: Was the STS targeted at BMW 7 Series competition?

Ludacrisvp
11-22-12, 11:22 AM
Found this article on a BMW dealer website, some of the information I see is inaccurate related to the STS.
Anyone know if GM intended the STS to be a 7 series?

I have copied in the article for reference in a quote.
Maybe the comparisons were done with a 05 base model vs 7 series top of the line but not sure.

http://www.schompbmw.com/bmw-7-series-vs--cadillac-sts.htm

BMW 7-Series vs. Cadillac STS

Safety
The 7 Series has standard Active Head Restraints, which use a specially designed headrest to
protect the driver and front passenger from whiplash. During a rear-end collision, the Active
Head Restraints system moves the headrests forward to prevent neck and spine injuries.
At the same time the pretensioning seatbelts fire, removing slack from the belts.
The STS doesn't offer a whiplash protection system.

An active infrared night vision system optional on the 7 Series helps the driver to more easily
detect people, animals or other objects in front of the vehicle at night. Using an infrared camera
and near-infrared lights to detect heat, the system then projects the image on the windshield,
near the driver's line of sight. The STS doesn't offer a night vision system.

The 7 Series has standard Park Distance Control to help warn the driver about vehicles,
pedestrians or other obstacles behind or in front of their vehicle. The STS doesn't offer a front parking aid.

Both the 7 Series and the STS have standard driver and passenger frontal airbags,
front side-impact airbags, head airbags, front seatbelt pretensioners, plastic fuel tanks,
four-wheel antilock brakes, traction control, electronic stability systems to prevent skidding
and available all-wheel drive.

Warranty
The 7 Series' corrosion warranty is 6 years longer than the STS' (12 vs. 6 years).

As tested in Car and Driver the 740 3.0 turbo 6 cyl. is faster than the Cadillac STS:

7 Series | STS
Zero to 60 MPH
5.1 sec | 6.2 sec

Quarter Mile
13.8 sec | 14.7 sec

Speed in 1/4 Mile
103 MPH | 97 MPH

For more instantaneous acceleration and better engine flexibility in any gear,
the 7 Series' engines produce their peak torque at lower RPM's than the STS:

Torque

740 3.0 turbo 6 cyl.
1600 RPM

750 4.4 turbo V8
1750 RPM

Active Hybrid 750 4.4 turbo V8 hybrid
2000 RPM

Alpina B7 4.4 turbo V8
3000 RPM

760Li 6.0 turbo V12
1500 RPM

STS 3.6 DOHC V6
5200 RPM

Fuel Economy and Range
The 7 Series ActiveHybrid's standard fuel tank has 3.6 gallons more fuel capacity than the STS
(21.1 vs. 17.5 gallons), for longer range between fill-ups. The 7 Series' standard fuel tank has
4.2 gallons more fuel capacity than the STS (21.7 vs. 17.5 gallons).

Transmission
A eight-speed automatic is available on the BMW 7 Series, for better acceleration and lower
engine speed on the highway. Only a six-speed automatic is available for the STS.

Brakes and Stopping
For better stopping power the 7 Series' brake rotors are larger than those on the STS:

740 | 750/760 | STS | STS (V???)

Front Rotors
13.7" | 14.7" | 11.9" | 14"

Rear Rotors
13.6" | 14.6" | 11.7" | 14.4"

The 7 Series stops much shorter than the STS:
7 Series | STS

70 to 0 MPH (Car and Driver)
162 ft | 190 ft

60 to 0 MPH (Motor Trend)
115 ft | 120 ft

Tires and Wheels
For better traction, the 7 Series has larger standard tires than the STS (245/50R18 vs. 235/50R17).

Changing a flat tire near traffic can be dangerous and inconvenient. The run-flat tires standard on
the 7 Series can be driven up to 50 miles without any air pressure, allowing you to drive to a
service station for a repair. The STS doesn't offer run-flat tires.

Suspension and Handling
The 7 Series has standard front and rear gas-charged shocks for better control over choppy roads.
The STS' suspension doesn't offer gas-charged shocks.

The 7 Series offers active sway bars, which help keep it flat and controlled during cornering,
but disconnect at lower speeds to smooth the ride. This helps keep the tires glued to the road on-road and off.
The STS doesn't offer an active sway bar system.

The 750i offers an available adjustable active suspension system, which counteracts cornering forces
actively, limiting body roll and improving handling and stability. Cadillac doesn't offer an active suspension on the STS.

For a smoother ride and more stable handling, the 750i's wheelbase is 4.5 inches longer than on the STS
(120.9 inches vs. 116.4 inches).
The 750Li's wheelbase is 10 inches longer than on the STS
(126.4 inches vs. 116.4 inches).

For better handling and stability, the track (width between the wheels) on the 7 Series is 1.6 inches
wider in the front and 2.7 inches wider in the rear than on the STS.

Passenger Space
The 7 Series SWB has 1.9 inches more front headroom, .6 inches more front shoulder room,
.6 inches more rear headroom and .1 inches more rear legroom than the STS.

For enhanced passenger comfort on long trips the 7 Series Li's available rear seats recline.
The STS' rear seats don't recline.

Cargo Capacity
A low lift-over trunk design makes loading and unloading the 7 Series easier.
The 7 Series' trunk lift-over height is 27.1 inches, while the STS' liftover is 30.1 inches.

Ergonomics

Unlike the driver-only memory system optional at extra cost in the STS, the 7 Series has standard driver
and passenger memory, so that when drivers switch, the memory setting adjusts the driver's seat,
steering wheel position, outside mirror angle, climate settings and radio stations and the front passenger
seat also adjusts to the new passenger's preset preferences.

The 7 Series' standard easy entry system raises the steering wheel and glides the driver's seat back,
making it easier for the driver to get in and out. An easy entry system costs extra on the STS.

If the windows are left down on the 7 Series the driver can raise them all using the key in the outside
lock cylinder. On a hot day the driver can lower the windows from outside the vehicle using the key
in the outside lock cylinder or the keyless remote.
The driver of the STS can only operate the windows from inside the vehicle, with the ignition on.

The 7 Series has a standard locking fuel door with a remote release located convenient to the driver.
A locking fuel door helps prevent vandalism, such as sugar in the tank and fuel theft.
The STS doesn't offer a locking fuel door.

he 7 Series' rain-sensitive wipers adjust their speed and turn on and off automatically based on the
amount of rainfall on the windshield. This allows the driver to concentrate on driving without
constantly adjusting the wipers. The STS' manually variable intermittent wipers have to be constantly adjusted.

Heated windshield washer nozzles are standard on the 7 Series to prevent washer fluid and nozzles
from freezing and help continue to keep the windshield clear in sub-freezing temperatures.
The STS doesn't offer heated windshield washer nozzles.

To help drivers avoid possible obstacles, the 7 Series has standard cornering lights to illuminate around
corners when the turn signals are activated. The STS doesn't offer cornering lights. The 7 Series also
has standard adaptive headlights to illuminate around corners automatically by reading vehicle speed and steering wheel angle.

A power rear sun shade is optional in the 7 Series to help block heat and glare for the rear passengers.
The STS doesn't offer a rear sun shade.

The 7 Series' standard steering wheel mounted cruise control is close at hand.
The STS' standard cruise control is on an over-crowded turn signal stalk.

The 7 Series' standard GPS navigation system has a real-time traffic update feature that offers alternative
routes to automatically bypass traffic problems. (Service available in a limited number of metro areas.)
The STS' available navigation system doesn't offer real-time traffic updates.

Recommendations
The BMW 7 Series outsold the Cadillac STS by almost three to one during the 2010 model year.

burkewm
11-22-12, 12:31 PM
No way... lowest base-model 7 series 30 grand more than the STS. Don't understand why they wrote this article to begin with.... also a TT engine with only about 15hp/20ft-lb more, and lower MPG ratings? Funny how that isn't mentioned in the article. This is like cadillac writing an article about how much better a CTS is than a new Kia Optima.

Ludacrisvp
11-22-12, 01:35 PM
No way... lowest base-model 7 series 30 grand more than the STS. Don't understand why they wrote this article to begin with.... This is like cadillac writing an article about how much better a CTS is than a new Kia Optima.
This was what I was thinking. I stumbled upon it and was like wtf? I didn't think that was the target market car. The only thing I can think of is that dealer must have been near a caddy dealer and was loosing too many sales to the STS.

KRSTS
11-22-12, 01:41 PM
The other thing they failed to mention is the BMW's reliability and maintenance/repair cost vs STS. If you own a BMW, especially a model 7 you better have a sack of money.

EChas3
11-22-12, 05:38 PM
Cadillac's strategy was to go after the gaps in BMW's line. Loyalists would never switch but the CTS competes well against the 3-series for receptive buyers. Likewise, the STS was quite a bargin head-to-head with a 5-series. But what serious 7-series buyers would get the same ego boost from a Cadillac? Be serious.

Ludacrisvp
11-22-12, 05:49 PM
The other thing they failed to mention is the BMW's reliability and maintenance/repair cost vs STS. If you own a BMW, especially a model 7 you better have a sack of money.

This is what deterred me from getting a mid to late 90s 7 series when I was looking for my first luxury car about 5 years ago compared maintenance to the 2000+ deville / seville, well I ended up getting the 02 DTS. Now for the amount of equipment / features I see in caddy vs BMW vs cost I highly doubt there will ever be a BMW in my garage. I do however have a little soft spot for some newer Mercedes styling so I think they have the only competition to caddy for me. (style wise anyways... Haven't compared cost of maintenance nor feature set just style alone)

B1n2fra
11-22-12, 07:17 PM
I believe that the sts would compete more with the five series. If BMW had a four door 6 series it would be direct competition in my opinion. I was looking at a 545 or a 550 before I chose the sts

Jesda
11-22-12, 07:55 PM
I heard a Kia Rio had more airbags than a Trabant.

carter's_sts
11-23-12, 12:44 AM
I salivate over the new MB CLSs.

This is what deterred me from getting a mid to late 90s 7 series when I was looking for my first luxury car about 5 years ago compared maintenance to the 2000+ deville / seville, well I ended up getting the 02 DTS. Now for the amount of equipment / features I see in caddy vs BMW vs cost I highly doubt there will ever be a BMW in my garage. I do however have a little soft spot for some newer Mercedes styling so I think they have the only competition to caddy for me. (style wise anyways... Haven't compared cost of maintenance nor feature set just style alone)

carter's_sts
11-23-12, 12:46 AM
They do now have a 4 door 6 series. Just came out a little while ago. 6 series coupe.

I believe that the sts would compete more with the five series. If BMW had a four door 6 series it would be direct competition in my opinion. I was looking at a 545 or a 550 before I chose the sts

carter's_sts
11-23-12, 12:48 AM
Gran Coupe I should have said.

truckinman
11-23-12, 01:38 AM
Yea, never would I put the STS on the same playing field as a 7-series BMW. The 5 series is much more in the STS class.

The STS, the Merc E-class, BMW 5-series, and Lexus LS are pretty much all in the same class.