: CUE not positively viewed by CR

ELUSIVE
11-21-12, 12:29 PM
I'll admit that I often don't pay a lot of attention to Consumer Reports..but I seem to agree with their findings about the new CUE system. Maybe I'm just old fashioned (37 years old)...but I was hoping for something better than this. Ugh!

Watch the video for the 2.5 minutes. It's very telling in my opinion.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/21/consumer-reports-lambasts-cadillacs-new-cue-system/#continued

Thoughts?

soulsea
11-21-12, 01:05 PM
It's a terrible review, as in the reviewer does a very poor job of actually reviewing the product. 'Fussy' is a generalized nomenclature, lazy in the context of a review ... either be precise and describe your objections or speak not.

That said, there is a disconnect between what constitutes safety and utility and trying to reconcile the two. Meaning that for decades and up until now, drivers can get into pretty much any vehicle, and other than slight variations, have a pretty good idea how to use its basic functions. They may struggle to use a MB or BMW navigation system, but they can spot the AC/climate control or radio pretty quickly. This is of course because these general locations are engrained in our minds through repetition, and after spotting the controls we can reach for them with but a glance.

Now we have these tablet type systems that by their inherent nature require a fundamental re-learn of vehicle feature operation, and as a result will require some degree of attention, thought, and focus to operate them. Attention, thought, and focus, that will inevitably be borrowed from where they should be applied, the road.

This review is useless, like most folks I will make up my own mind when the time comes. My hope is that GM has created a product that bears an interface and the features that are easily imprinted in the driver's mind, and that after a little practice it will be as intuitive as non distracting as traditional setups. Because if one agrees on the premise that texting and driving is a bad idea, surely fumbling with a tablet and driving is a far worse and dangerous one.

We shall see ...

nathanjax
11-21-12, 01:26 PM
Oh Serge... How I wish I could speak/type the way you do...

lee88
11-21-12, 02:57 PM
How many times does the reviewer have to use the word "fussy"!?

This review seems completely biased.

K9Caddy
11-21-12, 03:20 PM
The reviewer does seem very "fussy". Serge, is spot on!

I drive my companies BMW 7 series sedan. I'd have to say that is the WORST audio/NAV system i've ever used!

hannity
11-21-12, 03:20 PM
LOl.

evois
11-22-12, 12:06 AM
no, it is the range rover nav that's worst!

DG2
11-22-12, 07:33 AM
Let's not forget the industries horrible reviews of BMW I drive system. BMW was bashed by every auto magazine , consumer reports as the system like CUE was brand new to market. BMW made improvements to the system and eventually won praise. Same will happen with CUE

soulsea
11-23-12, 10:34 AM
Here's an interesting review pitting an ATS versus its BMW/MB counterparts, in which the ATS wins.

However as it relates to this thread, the reviewer also panned the new CUE system.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/11/new-cadillac-ats-36-vs-bmw-335i-and.html