: Admission of Ignorance

CAPT Mike
11-21-12, 09:20 AM
I posted the thread about whether I was the only one confused by the CUE regarding App updates and getting on the OnStar App. I stated that I had no idea what to do? Tony came to my rescue as well as others and all was well. Now for my admission of ignorance: I was cleaning up my junk and came across the box that the iPad was presented to me by the dealer. They took it out and showed me the XTS tutorials. Later, I simply took it out and began playing with it. Well, this time I opened the box to make sure that I took everything out of it before I trashed it. Inside was a black envelope with a welcome letter and another sheet stating why you could not update the apps that came preloaded and a step by step how to make the proper changes to make the iPad "your own." In addition, it indicated how to activate the onStar app on the iPad as well. It would have been nice if the dealership folks pointed out the letter, but the answer to my query was always there; I just didn't look. For what it's worth department.

BreakThrough
11-21-12, 09:55 AM
Concur about dealership pointing out the basics including contents to focus upon. The only reference my dealer made to the iPad was to have me sign for it. That said, I did find the envelope with the letters from Cadillac with those key instructions you pointed out.

Cadjiek
11-21-12, 10:53 AM
Me too!! I just laughed to myself when I found the letter. Now what am I supposed to do with white apple decals??? This keeps getting more complicated! LOL!!

rueben44
11-21-12, 10:54 AM
Wow most new cars I buy, and it is often, they make them go over all these simple points before you leave. It gets on my nerves but they say they have to do it so I wonder why Caddy doesn't require that.

BreakThrough
11-21-12, 12:00 PM
At my dealer they did take the time to go through the CUE system hands on and assisted me with programming some items, but as I mentioned, the ipad, nothing. Just sign here and take it.

CAPT Mike
11-21-12, 12:16 PM
I feel better now that I'm not the only one. BTW, the BMW people go the other way. With each BMW that I purchased, the "sales consultant" would spend at least 2 hours going over every nit and pick. Needless to say, after the first 10 minutes, my brain was asleep. Yes, I hated going back to school (9 years past HS and all the continuing ed over the years were enough). Cadillac just took it in the opposite direction and, in retrospect, I'm glad 'cause it has forced me to "study" again.:):)

Cadillac Tony
11-21-12, 04:39 PM
Yeah, it's in there. I didn't find out about it until recently when I got a factory rep involved, because the iPads come sealed with a huge label that says DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DELIVERING TO CUSTOMER, so we never see what's inside the box. Here I am telling the factory we need to include instructions to make it simpler, and they're already in there. Count me in the bonehead group as well. :doh:

The delivery process is difficult for everyone. The number one complaint we hear from customers is that it takes too long to leave with their new car, yet folks also complain if they feel we didn't go over every nook and cranny on the car (which takes time!), making it near impossible for us to make everyone happy.

The way I handle that with my clients is a "simple" orientation on the day you purchase the car (radio, AC, voice controls, memory seats), followed by a "re-delivery" appointment 10-14 days later where we go deeper into details on the CUE system, iPad, USB streaming, etc. That gets people out in their new car quickly, but allows them to come back soon afterward for more instruction on a day when they're not in a rush to get home.

RicktheRealtor
11-21-12, 06:12 PM
Makes sense, and a good policy Tony. Buyers need to be aware that as cars become more complicated (ie technologically advanced), there will be more of a learning curve to master. I'm sure everyone is eager to go show off their new purchase, but if you aren't introduced to the new systems at the beginning, chances are good that you will never learn or use them in the future.