: What Does "On Hold At Plant" Mean?

ArubaKid
11-20-12, 12:57 PM
My XTS sales manager indicated earlier that the production date for my Platinum was Oct 29. Later he said the vehicle was "Expected in transit Nov 13."

Today, Nov 20, he said after checking it was "On Hold At Plant." Any idea what this could be?

flying fossil
11-20-12, 01:49 PM
What did your "manager" say about that?

GreaseMonkey
11-20-12, 01:56 PM
As I work in the auto industry, that typically means it is being held at the plant for a quality issue. It doesn't mean that your vehicle has the issue, but that it may be suspect and the plant is performing a sort.

ArubaKid
11-20-12, 01:59 PM
What did your "manager" say about that?

He said he would check further into it. But I think you guys will answer more quickly...and accurately.

CAPT Mike
11-20-12, 06:51 PM
I believe that the on hold business is another way of saying that it is waiting on transport to where ever you are. It doesn't seem likely that a week plus went by and hold meant checking for "bugs."

GreaseMonkey
11-21-12, 08:16 AM
I believe that the on hold business is another way of saying that it is waiting on transport to where ever you are. It doesn't seem likely that a week plus went by and hold meant checking for "bugs."

That could be too, but sometimes it does take longer than a week to sort through quality issues especially if the root cause hasn't been identified yet.

flying fossil
11-26-12, 08:26 PM
Did you ever get a build or ship date?
I ordered my Premium on Nov. 4th, got a message that it was beint built the week of the 19th, and another today that it is built and I would assume, loaded on a train for California.
Expected at dealer week of 12/20 or sooner :want:

ArubaKid
11-27-12, 12:24 AM
Did you ever get a build or ship date?
I ordered my Premium on Nov. 4th, got a message that it was beint built the week of the 19th, and another today that it is built and I would assume, loaded on a train for California.:want:

Yes, it was built Oct 29. And it was "expected in transit Nov 13."

ArubaKid
11-29-12, 01:40 PM
I spoke to the Sales Manager at the dealership today (Nov 29), and he told me that he has been in touch with the honchos that be at region or headquarters or somewhere. He indicated that my vehicle had been singled out after being assembled for a detailed inspection to be sure everything is working absolutely perfectly. He said this is part of a program of random selection and it does not imply that there was anything wrong with the car in the first place. The car was built 31 days ago, on Oct 29. He says he expects it to be delivered the week of Dec 10, fully 12 weeks after the order date and 6 weeks after build.

Is this explanation sound? Do you guys know if this kind of selection/inspection is really done, holding up a vehicle for a month?

Thanks for your take.

GreaseMonkey
11-29-12, 03:49 PM
I spoke to the Sales Manager at the dealership today (Nov 29), and he told me that he has been in touch with the honchos that be at region or headquarters or somewhere. He indicated that my vehicle had been singled out after being assembled for a detailed inspection to be sure everything is working absolutely perfectly. He said this is part of a program of random selection and it does not imply that there was anything wrong with the car in the first place. The car was built 31 days ago, on Oct 29. He says he expects it to be delivered the week of Dec 10, fully 12 weeks after the order date and 6 weeks after build.

Is this explanation sound? Do you guys know if this kind of selection/inspection is really done, holding up a vehicle for a month?

Thanks for your take.

They are telling you the truth, but wording it in a way so it sounds like it's a positive thing. In a way, it is a good thing. But, the only reason vehicles are held at a plant is because of quality issues. If a suspect quality issue was found on VIN 25, and the suspect range is VIN 1 to 200, all of those vehicles will be quarantined and inspected to make sure that issue doesn't exist.

The first early stages of sellable vehicles usually are held at a yard, but that time has come and gone already for the XTS. Your vehicle was part of a suspect quality issue, simple as that.

handymantoo
11-29-12, 07:52 PM
Back in July I ordered a Premium it was built and was also held at the plant. Six weeks latter the car was still being held for quality control but they would not tell me the reason. I requested that they find me another Premium exactly as the one I ordered which they did. Never did find what happened to my original Premium.

08SRX
11-30-12, 10:31 AM
It does not have to be a quality related issue at all. It could simply be a temporary part shortage.

flying fossil
12-03-12, 01:18 PM
I am getting an "In trasit" msg on my car order. Anyone know how long this takes to So. Calif.?

ArubaKid
12-11-12, 09:15 PM
To review this order: I ordered a Platinum on Sept 20, it was built on Oct 29, it has been sitting "on hold at plant" ever since. Two weeks ago my salesman said it should be shipped that week and delivered this week. Haven't heard from him since. They said 6-8 weeks delivery when I ordered it; it has been 12.

At what point do I get mad, and when I do what should I do about it? Where are these vehicles made, Canada? Michigan? I am afraid it has been sitting around in the weather getting beat up. Should I cancel the order and start over? Help!

rayle
12-12-12, 07:37 AM
Here's what I would do: Go to Cadillac.com and "build" your vehicle, then click the "View Inventory" for your zip code area. Unless you ordered an odd combination, you should be able to find what you want within a decent driving distance from your home. Then cancel the order and go buy that car off the lot.

CAPT Mike
12-12-12, 10:18 AM
To review this order: I ordered a Platinum on Sept 20, it was built on Oct 29, it has been sitting "on hold at plant" ever since. Two weeks ago my salesman said it should be shipped that week and delivered this week. Haven't heard from him since. They said 6-8 weeks delivery when I ordered it; it has been 12.

At what point do I get mad, and when I do what should I do about it? Where are these vehicles made, Canada? Michigan? I am afraid it has been sitting around in the weather getting beat up. Should I cancel the order and start over? Help!

Go back to your dealer. Did you give them a deposit? Settle on a price with a trade? Speak to the sales manager or owner and have them find out what is happening; like you want your car yesterday! Demand a better deal or get your deposit back and go elsewhere. If they cannot give you an answer/disposition, I would certainly be going elsewhere. If you are treated like a second class citizen now with you buying a high priced vehicle, can you imagine how you'll be treated at this dealership if there is any problem with your vehicle?

ArubaKid
12-13-12, 07:28 PM
For those of you following this sad thread, I met with the Sales Manager of the Cadillac dealership this afternoon (Dec 13). I had previously sent him an email indicating I wanted answers why the Platinum XDS I ordered was not delivered by now, 12 weeks later. He indicated that the vehicle (which was built on Oct 29) has been sitting up in Quebec, Canada, since it was built undergoing (or not?) a batch quality check. He had no idea what that meant. He apparently lit some fires under the grand poo-bahs, and told me it will be sent by rail to a town 2 hours away to be loaded onto a truck and delivered no later that December 24. I later sent him an email indicating that I expected it December 24, but if was not delivered in my hands by December 29 I was cancelling the order. He emailed to me that this was agreeable. Jeez! I got faster delivery of my 6 Lexus' that came from Japan!

Stay tuned...

wrtxts
12-13-12, 07:43 PM
You are very patient! I probably would have cancelled it after the second week of not receiving an answer... I had an issue with my first xts and they ordered me a new one. It was built the following week and I had it 11 days after being built. I think the total duration was less than 3 weeks. This was in November.

CAPT Mike
12-13-12, 11:16 PM
Way too patient!!!Your salesman said 12 more days???? and you gave him 5 more to deliver????And what is he and Cadillac give you for winning the guy with the most patience??!!You deserve something...Your saga belongs on a reality TV show. Cadillac could have torn down and rebuilt your car 20 times for as long as the hold up was...and I do mean "hold up."

Platinum06
12-14-12, 12:46 PM
Head restraint issue...

http://priceofnewcar.net/cadillac-recalls-2013-xts-over-head-restraint-issue.html

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-14-12, 02:26 PM
ArubaKid, are you currently residing in the United States? I ask, because if you're a U.S. resident, then I can always track your order status. This thread was just brought to my attention today, and I'm so sorry to hear about your order frustrations.

If you would like me to track an order, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the order number!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CDN XTS
12-14-12, 02:37 PM
Head restraint issue was for cars produced to Aug 30/12, his was built Oct. 29th. - so what was wrong with that batch??? I was told a few weeks ago that there was a production stop for Platinums for Canada - no reason given. Why Platinums? Why Canada? Contacted Cadillac myself. As stated elsewhere, didn't get a reason but was given a "tentative" production date for week of Jan 7/13.

ArubaKid
12-18-12, 01:04 AM
ArubaKid, are you currently residing in the United States? I ask, because if you're a U.S. resident, then I can always track your order status. This thread was just brought to my attention today, and I'm so sorry to hear about your order frustrations.

If you would like me to track an order, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the order number!

Katie

Katie, I emailed you several days ago. No answer...

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-18-12, 09:58 AM
Katie, I emailed you several days ago. No answer...

I apologize for the delay, ArubaKid! I am catching up on my emails from the weekend, so I will be emailing you shortly (by the end of my business day today, 4:30pm EST) with my findings.

Katie

CDN XTS
12-25-12, 04:50 PM
Hmmm, another thought. I wonder whether this may be related to possible slightly different software issues between Canada & US as when questioning dealer as to delivery delays at end of Nov., I was told production of XTS Platinum for Canada is on "hold" but no info as to why and timing. Mine is now to be produced on Jan 11 or so.
@ArubaKid - did you now receive your car?

ArubaKid
12-28-12, 12:33 AM
ArubaKid - did you now receive your car?

Well I finally got a call on Thursday, December 27, that my vehicle is at the dealership and is ready to be picked up. I will pick it up on Friday morning, December 28. I'll let you know how it goes...

ArubaKid
12-28-12, 11:44 PM
Well this the end of the story: I picked up the car today at the dealership, and I am very excited about it. Everything seems to be working OK including the fanny tickles when I get too close to the dividing line and also the all important garage door opening function. The lines of the car are great. I have the graphite metallic. The guy who checked me out with the car said they did not know exactly why it was held up for delivery; it took exactly 14 weeks from the day I ordered it. They gave me an extra $500 on my trade, and said they would extend my On Star subscription some undisclosed number of months. But I am happy. It is fun to drive and use all the technology. I am sure I will have questions; you know where I'll come for answers. LOL

BreakThrough
12-29-12, 01:42 AM
Congrats ArubaKid on taking delivery.

flying fossil
12-29-12, 02:40 PM
Do orders for U.S. take a preference over Canadian delivery?
Mine took 5 weeks from order to reciept.

CAPT Mike
12-29-12, 04:46 PM
Well this the end of the story: I picked up the car today at the dealership, and I am very excited about it. Everything seems to be working OK including the fanny tickles when I get too close to the dividing line and also the all important garage door opening function. The lines of the car are great. I have the graphite metallic. The guy who checked me out with the car said they did not know exactly why it was held up for delivery; it took exactly 14 weeks from the day I ordered it. They gave me an extra $500 on my trade, and said they would extend my On Star subscription some undisclosed number of months. But I am happy. It is fun to drive and use all the technology. I am sure I will have questions; you know where I'll come for answers. LOL

It's good that they gave you something for your unbelievable inconvenience, BUT it should have been more; OnStar for 4 years +500 at a minimum. A dinner at a restaurant for you and your significant other as a more personal gift. On the other side of the coin. I know that you will enjoy your XTS as I have mine. Good luck.

thebigjimsho
12-29-12, 07:49 PM
It's good that they gave you something for your unbelievable inconvenience, BUT it should have been more; OnStar for 4 years +500 at a minimum. A dinner at a restaurant for you and your significant other as a more personal gift. On the other side of the coin. I know that you will enjoy your XTS as I have mine. Good luck.

Troublemaker...

CAPT Mike
12-29-12, 11:05 PM
Troublemaker...

:yup: lol That's my middle name.:D:D