: Touch screen protection

tzydzy
11-20-12, 02:57 AM
Has anyone installed a capacitive touch screen protector on the surface of the CUE screen?

marathonman89
11-20-12, 11:58 AM
I had an extra non glare screen protector for my iPad. I cut it with a exacto knife to the exact dimensions of the CUE display. Installed it, got bubbles out and used it for a day. My two observations before removing it were:

Needed a bit more pressure on the screen to use, not a dealbreaker.
Looked tacky due to the edges of the protector being visible, dealbreaker (for me).

I thought fingerprints would be an issue at first. Now I only notice them when I start the car. When the screen is lit fingerprints are hardly noticeable.

Cadjiek
11-20-12, 01:11 PM
I keep that little micro fiber cloth that came with the car right at my side. Screen is always nice and clean. In case some of you guys don't realize you have one, it was in a little package with the owners manual.

CAPT Mike
11-20-12, 07:54 PM
It's just a black microfiber cloth. So if you lost it, just pick up a bunch at any auto parts store. Oh yeah, you don't have to have black:):).

BreakThrough
11-21-12, 01:07 AM
Cadillac must have color co-ordinated the micro fiber cloths. The one in my XTS is tan to match my Shale interior. :thumbsup:

CAPT Mike
11-21-12, 10:09 AM
My interior is caramel on black; so mine should have been tan?:):)

flying fossil
11-21-12, 12:09 PM
Hi Capt. How do you like that interior combo?
I ordered my Crystal Red Premium with it.

My interior is caramel on black; so mine should have been tan?:):)

tzydzy
11-22-12, 12:16 AM
What about damage to the screen surface itself. Look at any credit card signature pad in a store (an extreme example, but an example just the same) and see the haze. My concern is for the screen surface itself which would cost thousands 4 years from now after it received abrasion from use, rather than fingerprints which are wiped away rather easily.

BreakThrough
11-22-12, 01:29 AM
I can share my direct experience with my ipad screen. After 2 and one half years of cleaning the surface with a micro fiber cloth, the screen is as clear and scratch free as the day i purchased it.

thebigjimsho
11-22-12, 12:21 PM
I can share my direct experience with my ipad screen. After 2 and one half years of cleaning the surface with a micro fiber cloth, the screen is as clear and scratch free as the day i purchased it.

Yeah, the aftermarket Pioneer head unit in my Town Car has a touchscreen nav. It is used many times a day, every day(I'm a chauffeur). Anytime I go anywhere, I plug in the address.

These screens are tough. Don't worry about it...

Dramset
12-20-12, 09:50 PM
The CUE screen does not need protection. That credit card signature pad you saw uses a resistive touch screen (as do virtually all automotive touch screens other than CUE). Such screens use a plastic layer above glass; the plastic layer is soft and can scratch easily.

CUE uses a much more advanced capacitive touch sensor that doesn't require a plastic layer-- like an iPhone or iPad screen, it's a glass surface.

Glass is hard and you're not going to scratch it with your hand...

gohawks63
12-21-12, 08:55 AM
The CUE screen does not need protection. That credit card signature pad you saw uses a resistive touch screen (as do virtually all automotive touch screens other than CUE). Such screens use a plastic layer above glass; the plastic layer is soft and can scratch easily.

CUE uses a much more advanced capacitive touch sensor that doesn't require a plastic layer-- like an iPhone or iPad screen, it's a glass surface.

Glass is hard and you're not going to scratch it with your hand...

Out of the last six cars we have owned with navigation, 4 have had touch screens and we have never had an issue of them getting scratched. One of them was a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser that we drove for 160K miles. It was my wife's daily driver. She used the NAV every day as she would get lost getting out of our driveway (she will readily admit that). They would get fingerprint smudges, but never scratched, and she has longer nails.

Engelman
12-24-12, 11:52 PM
Not to worry.............there is a quick fix for that.................trade it in!

What about damage to the screen surface itself. Look at any credit card signature pad in a store (an extreme example, but an example just the same) and see the haze. My concern is for the screen surface itself which would cost thousands 4 years from now after it received abrasion from use, rather than fingerprints which are wiped away rather easily.

----------

Don't you know that words like "toyota", and "lexus",..and "Honda",....................are forbidden on this forum........................................LOL

Out of the last six cars we have owned with navigation, 4 have had touch screens and we have never had an issue of them getting scratched. One of them was a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser that we drove for 160K miles. It was my wife's daily driver. She used the NAV every day as she would get lost getting out of our driveway (she will readily admit that). They would get fingerprint smudges, but never scratched, and she has longer nails.