: 08 ESV body roll, shock replacement

Aerohokie
11-18-12, 07:05 PM
I have an 08 ESV with the Z55 road sensing (whatever that means, if have no idea how this system works) shocks and auto level. The compressor seems to work fine, it doesn't run all the time. No codes.

I took a corner and felt a lot of body roll and the vehicle rocked. Came home and rocked it and it probably continued for 2-3 more rocks when I hoped off (it was parked and off). My question is how do I pick the right shocks based on the rpo codes in the glove box? Secondly, there is the Monroe and Arndt/blistering kit.

Between stock shock replacement, Monroe, and Arndt bilstein systems what are people's experiences? Replacing these shocks is coming out of the budget to put an interior in my 79 trans am, so I need the best balance between daily driver performance (think wife and kids) and cost. Thanks for the help!

Dave

Tec80
11-18-12, 11:54 PM
I just replaced my fronts, lowest price I found was $223 each. The correct shock is 580-373, based on 6JK and7JK codes on the sticker in the glovebox.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMPL82/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
These are OE parts, they came direct-ship from the GM parts plant in Pontiac, MI.

They were a pain to replace due to the top nut being seized from rust (and the strut-type spring compressors I rented from Autozone looked like they were going to snap when the spring was compressed), and I now have an intermittent service suspension light for my trouble. But, they returned the ride and handling to what it was when new.

If I had to do it over again I'd pick the Arnott Bilsteins. Bilstein makes top-quality shocks that ride very well, in fact GM picks them for certain premium applications (C4 selective ride control).

hcvone
11-19-12, 07:13 AM
Good sway bars like Hotchkis make a HUGE difference if you drive your truck hard, or tow. :)

Aerohokie
11-19-12, 10:26 PM
I just replaced my fronts, lowest price I found was $223 each. The correct shock is 580-373, based on 6JK and7JK codes on the sticker in the glovebox.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMPL82/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
These are OE parts, they came direct-ship from the GM parts plant in Pontiac, MI.

They were a pain to replace due to the top nut being seized from rust (and the strut-type spring compressors I rented from Autozone looked like they were going to snap when the spring was compressed), and I now have an intermittent service suspension light for my trouble. But, they returned the ride and handling to what it was when new.

If I had to do it over again I'd pick the Arnott Bilsteins. Bilstein makes top-quality shocks that ride very well, in fact GM picks them for certain premium applications (C4 selective ride control).

By reading your post I take it the 6 and7 code on the glove box sticker are the two suspension indicators. I'll check rock auto. Anyone have experience withe bilstein arnotts? Is the ride better than Oem road sensing? Anyone know the part number for the 6F1 and 7F1 suspension?

Aerohokie
11-20-12, 02:08 AM
I was able to answer my own question. Gmpartsgiant.com lets you search for parts by vin number. It returned the gm part number with asterisk for the first two numbers, rock auto had the full number. For my escalade it showed ac delco 580-360 for my rear shocks at $217 ea.

Now I just have to decide between Oem and the conversion.