: Difficulty Starting - Cold Weather

malatu
11-18-12, 03:57 PM
Since the colder weather set it, my 2006 sts-4, 6 cylinder started to experiece "hard starts" not terribly noticable, but it wasn't "firing up" at the push of the button. It's kept in the garage so the cold temps have moderate (40-45 degrees in garage depending on how cold it is outside).

Last evening, It stayed outside and the temps got down into the upper 30's. This morning it took two attempts of pressing the starter button for the car to start.

I would guess the battery but it doesn't sound like a weak battery. It was turnning the engine over, but simply not starting.

The car has 95,000 miles. Any thoughts?

EChas3
11-18-12, 05:21 PM
I assume there's no idiot light. Have you checked oil level? Codes?

When was the air filter last changed? OEM?

malatu
11-18-12, 06:08 PM
No idiot light, I'll know if any codes when I take it into the dealer. I believe the air filter was changed at 60k. I'll have to check that one.

dkozloski
11-18-12, 07:49 PM
That engine is designed to start at -27F with no preheat, go immediately to full throttle, and run smoothly. I started my CTS 3.6L at -50F with moderate pre-heat with no trouble.

If yours won't start after the sun goes down somethings broke.

WWZ
11-18-12, 08:20 PM
I normally start the engine 4,6 at - 35C

EChas3
11-18-12, 09:15 PM
Koz - I didn't know you also had a 3.6. I'd be interested in your compare/contrast with your Northstar.

dkozloski
11-19-12, 12:04 AM
I had a 3.6L CTS and I now have a North* V8 STS. The North* is better in every respect. The 3.6L V6 is for the little people.

Ludacrisvp
11-19-12, 03:12 AM
I had a 3.6L CTS and I now have a North* V8 STS. The North* is better in every respect. The 3.6L V6 is for the little people.
so how does it compare to the 95 ranger?

truckinman
11-19-12, 03:58 AM
so how does it compare to the 95 ranger?

Ah! The million dollar question right there!

WWZ
11-19-12, 04:24 AM
Ranger for driving on shit...:bouncy:, Cadillac - on roads

dkozloski
11-19-12, 09:54 AM
The 3.0L V6 Ford engine in the Ranger is virtually bulletproof. It just goes and goes. My Ranger is RWD and is almost helpless on ice.

malatu
11-19-12, 10:53 AM

Oh dear, there goes my self esteem!

zapconj
11-19-12, 01:52 PM
I had the same problem with my wife's 07' STS4 two weeks ago. Got in the car, pressed the start button and the car would try and turn over once then twice then NADA. Then again.... NADA.. it sounded like an old man clearing phlegm in the morning. I had to Jump the car once and the second time i just swapped out the battery. Took the Battery to Pep boys, and they confirmed that the battery was on it's way out and was not holding a charge. I dropped a new OEM replacement and $190+ later Starts the first time every time. and has no problems since.

diesel head
12-31-12, 03:47 PM
I have a 2006 sts that has 116,000 miles with the 3.6 and have the same problem only when it drops below 40 degrees. After sitting overnight I push the start button and it cranks till it times out, push it a second time and it fires up after a short cranking time. I don't have any codes or lights on and all maintenance is up to date. After it fires up, it starts and runs normal for the rest of the day. This only seems to happen in the winter. The car stays in a garage and has no other issues I can think of. I was hoping there might be an answer or follow up to the original question posted that might give me a direction to begin with. The engine was replaced at 100,000 miles so this is a new engine. That being said there are only 2 items to keep it from firing, fuel or spark. Any help will be appreciated.

curtc
12-31-12, 04:13 PM
Fuel pressure regulator? Maybe didn't get enough pressure the first attempt but has pressurized enough on the 2nd? Easy to check at least.

How old is the battery?

Ludacrisvp
12-31-12, 05:40 PM
There are 3 things. Air flow* (both intake of fresh air and expelling of exhaust), fuel, spark.

EChas3
12-31-12, 09:18 PM
My hunch is injectors leaing down. DI V6 began in 2008. Any black smoke when it does start?

Have you ever checked under the hood before starting? Any smell of gas?

----------

V8's often develop loose intake manifold bolts and it usually doesn't set a code.

diesel head
01-01-13, 10:42 AM
That was kind of what I was thinking and will check today. Is there a quick or easy way to check fuel pressure without a gauge? The battery is original but it cranks with no prob plus if it fires up on the 2nd attempt I doubt it would be a battery issue.

----------

There is no smell of gas and no black smoke when it fires up but it could still be injectors or regulator. I will zero in on the fuel system and will post when I figure this out cause I doubt I am the only one having this issue. It will just be a lengthy process unless I get it right the first time cause it has to sit overnight to not start properly again.

EChas3
01-01-13, 12:05 PM
If it's the original battery, you have gotten double the average life from it. Just for S&G's, I wonder if the pattern changes with a battery swap or boost. The STS can be very demanding of a battery.

diesel head
01-01-13, 02:31 PM
UPDATE:
I have found that if I cycle the car in the accessory position a few times prior to trying to start it will start normally. I can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when it is placed in the accesory mode. My guess is that the fuel pressure is leaking down overnight and cycling the pump a few times re-primes the system. Now I just have to figure out why it looses the prime only when it drops below 40 degrees. Does anyone have any info that may help narrow this down?

carter's_sts
01-01-13, 02:42 PM
If you don't smell fuel (from a leak in the system) it sure sounds like leaky injectors. Usually more common with cold and usually at least some smoke. You might have someone else watch the exhaust closely when you start it.

EChas3
01-01-13, 03:29 PM
Injector leaks are often temperature-related. I'm not sure the cost for a set.