: Mystery stud under hood? Missing ground?

Black88GTA
11-18-12, 01:14 PM
I was cleaning up my truck today to get it ready for the winter season, and saw a couple things I was curious about. Wondering if any of you can shed any light. I have an '03 6.0 AWD. Here's a pic:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/Black88GTA/hoodliner.jpg

First, there's a nut on a stud attached to the underside of the hood on the drivers side, near the cowl (red arrow). Anyone know what goes here? My truck has nothing on it.

Secondly, I have what (I assume) used to be a ground strap that appears to have corroded and broken off (green arrow). It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but it's bugging me and I'd like to replace it. Does anybody know where this goes, or have a part # for a replacement strap?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

the cadillac man
11-18-12, 01:35 PM
I was cleaning up my truck today to get it ready for the winter season, and saw a couple things I was curious about. Wondering if any of you can shed any light. I have an '03 6.0 AWD. Here's a pic:

First, there's a nut on a stud attached to the underside of the hood on the drivers side, near the cowl (red arrow). Anyone know what goes here? My truck has nothing on it.

Secondly, I have what (I assume) used to be a ground strap that appears to have corroded and broken off (green arrow). It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but it's bugging me and I'd like to replace it. Does anybody know where this goes, or have a part # for a replacement strap?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You are correct it is a ground strap mine had one and one end fell off so I removed it haven't no ground loop noise caused from it so no worries

Black88GTA
11-18-12, 02:07 PM
You are correct it is a ground strap mine had one and one end fell off so I removed it haven't no ground loop noise caused from it so no worries

Well, I did some digging on Google images, and it looks like the ground strap that's broken off at the firewall attached to the empty stud under the hood. I thought of this, but initially ruled it out, because there is zero need for a ground strap on the hood - there are no electrical components on it! I really would like to be a fly on the wall for when some of these decisions get made at GM. :cookoo: WTF

LongRX7
11-18-12, 04:14 PM
If I recall, I believe the earlier model Escalades had an under hood light...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/192477-how-fix-your-under-hood-light.html

Black88GTA
11-18-12, 04:23 PM
If I recall, I believe the earlier model Escalades had an under hood light...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/192477-how-fix-your-under-hood-light.html

They did, but they dropped it after the 2002 model year (cost cutting :rolleyes: ) You'd think they'd have gotten rid of the ground strap at the same time. Unless there's some other reason for it to be there, but I can't think of any.

the cadillac man
11-18-12, 06:57 PM
They did, but they dropped it after the 2002 model year (cost cutting :rolleyes: ) You'd think they'd have gotten rid of the ground strap at the same time. Unless there's some other reason for it to be there, but I can't think of any.

Keep down the possibility of a floating ground issue but it isn't really needed and I agree with the under hood light getting removed as a cost cutting way but oh well

LongRX7
11-23-12, 02:05 PM
lol, I actually looked under my hood the other day and I have the ground strap from the body to the the hood..., guess I'm well grounded :)

spridget
11-30-12, 02:46 AM
my 04 has one also