: 2005 3.6l Missfire

Dangerous Dan
11-18-12, 12:32 AM
My car started missing earlier this week every so often mostly when it was in OD as I started up a hill before it downshifted.

Now it is missing every time I try to accelerate.

I took it to Advanced and had the coded pulled on Friday morning and it said said cyl 4 misfire. From what I can find Cyl 4 is the middle cyl on the drivers side. So I swapped the coil with the one closest to the firewall to see if it followed. I drove to work and back 70 mile round trip and scanned again when I got home and got the same code. So this morning I went and bought one spark plug and replaced the cyl 4 plug. I bought a bottle of injector cleaner and put it in and filled up with gas and drove about 20 miles.

I went and had it scanned again and now it says random misfire, cyl 4 misfire and cyl 6 misfire.

Anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking fuel filter next but what does everyone else think. More importantly have I been working on the correct Cylinder?

truckinman
11-18-12, 02:44 AM
Your correct about the cylinder. It's evens on the drivers side and odds on passenger with 4 being the middle and 6 being closest to fire wall.

Dangerous Dan
11-18-12, 10:55 AM
See that is what had me confused because in the other thread they said that 2 was closest to the firewall not 6. Seems like I need to unhook the battery and let everything clear and see what it throws if it is 6 again then it is the coil after all.

truckinman
11-18-12, 07:31 PM
Here it is

http://i.pgu.me/30SR0+Qz_original.jpg

----------

Your car is showing the symptoms of a bad coil. Mine did the same thing. Chugged going up hills if It didn't kick down a gear etc etc. The scanner said cylinder 3 was missing. I switched number 3 and 5 coil and drove around till check engine light came back on. Scanned it again and cyl 5 was now missing. 3 had been cleared. So I'm not really sure why urs still said the previous cyl was missing along with the current cyl that had the possible bad coil. Unless the first code just never cleared out of the system.

So yea I'd say unhook the battery for a few min and see if that clears the light. If so, drive it till the light comes back on and scan it again. Hopefully you'll just have the one miss fire code

Dangerous Dan
11-18-12, 07:31 PM
Thanks! someone else gave some bad information on another thread. I unplugged the battery earlier then drove around till I got a light again. Checked and sure enough moved to Cyl 6. I picked up a new coil got installed and test drove. Back to normal.

This is my first GM vehicle and first real issue. I was a Crown Vic man but they just don't offer the features that caddies do.

truckinman
11-18-12, 07:34 PM
Thanks! someone else gave some bad information on another thread. I unplugged the battery earlier then drove around till I got a light again. Checked and sure enough moved to Cyl 6. I picked up a new coil got installed and test drove. Back to normal.

This is my first GM vehicle and first real issue. I was a Crown Vic man but they just don't offer the features that caddies do.

Awesome man! Glad that cured it for you. Yea I love my 05 STS. I've always been a jeep man myself. Still am. But decided to buy a Cadillac and see how I'd like it. Haven't regretted it yet.

Crown vics are sweet cars, I really do like them. Especially the P71 police issue models.