: 05 STS 1SG Touch Screen not working

swag
11-17-12, 04:00 PM
As luck would have it I just finished Zaino Bros polishing my black pearl STS. Got in fired it up and the touch screen lights up, seems normal but will not accept touch commands. The screen looks fine but none of the icons/buttons work. The radio, AC,Heater controls, volume ,etc all the other actual buttons work just not the touch screen... I removed the battery cable for a minute but the touch screen still not functioning... Any ideas?:(...Thanks!

curtc
11-17-12, 04:04 PM
Leave it disconnected for longer, I suspect you didn't give it enough time to reset, give it a good 15 minutes.

swag
11-17-12, 04:55 PM
That did it! Just like a computer... reboot fixes everything... Thanks My Friend and have a great Thanksgiving!

EChas3
11-17-12, 05:33 PM
The reset trick includes touching the cables together while they are disconnected from the battery. It discharges all power supply capacitors, etc.

curtc
11-17-12, 08:57 PM
That did it! Just like a computer... reboot fixes everything... Thanks My Friend and have a great Thanksgiving!

You as well, glad to help out another STS owner :)

When all else fails, reboot!

Ludacrisvp
11-17-12, 10:31 PM
When all else fails, reboot!

In my field of work we call this the 'Windows Fix'.
I work in Information Technology dealing with Unix based OS (Customized FreeBSD - "OneFS"), every once in a while we need to do the Windows fix to resolve an issue.
Sometimes its the only 'fix'.

curtc
11-17-12, 10:53 PM
In my field of work we call this the 'Windows Fix'.
I work in Information Technology dealing with Unix based OS (Customized FreeBSD - "OneFS"), every once in a while we need to do the Windows fix to resolve an issue.
Sometimes its the only 'fix'.

I work in IT as well, but in an enterprise Windows environment...I work on our Service Desk and rebooting is high on the list of successful fixes for most issues.

Ludacrisvp
11-17-12, 11:28 PM
Going WAY off topic here....

I work in IT as well, but in an enterprise Windows environment...I work on our Service Desk and rebooting is high on the list of successful fixes for most issues.
Yeah, I'm Enterprise level as well, Level 2 support for customers running OneFS.
Working for EMC in the Isilon Storage Division (http://www.isilon.com) - We are a clustered NAS solution capable of over 15 PB (PetaBytes) in a single volume. :)
We have an office in Plymouth, MN if you are looking to move on from your current field.... :)

For the non technical person thats a lot of data:
Typical DVD movie is about 4.7GB
There are 1024 GigaBytes in a TerraByte and 1024 TerraBytes in a PetaByte.
Most high end Home Use Hard drives are just getting to the 2 - 4 TB size, with 1TB being most common in upper level hardware bundles.

So you could store 3,346,519 DVDs worth of movies in a single volume (not being re-compressed, most of those are only 800MB which would equal 20,132,659 re-compressed movies).

Back on-topic here:

But yes, the system reset can be very useful.

EChas3
11-17-12, 11:43 PM
I've been in IT since the 70's when they called it data processing. It has gotten much harder to isolate and correct many issues because the growth of feature/functions and layered/interdependant system design have expanded the number instructions and lines of code more than geometrically; the growth in complexity is exponential.

I'm amazed today's technology works as well as it does, given how many things can go wrong.