: Heat not working in auto mode. 2004 escalade

Snowboarder
11-17-12, 11:10 AM
Could this be another actuator? I replaced the actuator under the glovebox on the passenger side when my drivers side was intermittently blowing out hot air in the summer, when a/c was on auto.

Now that it's winter time an I set the HVAC to say...80 degrees or so on auto, it looks like auto will kick on for about 2 seconds, then shut off, and only blow hot air through the feet vents and the defrost vents, but not through the drivers side or passenger side vents on the dash.

If i manually select the driver/passenger vents I can get air to blow out, but not in auto mode.

Any ideas?

the cadillac man
11-17-12, 11:45 AM
Could this be another actuator? I replaced the actuator under the glovebox on the passenger side when my drivers side was intermittently blowing out hot air in the summer, when a/c was on auto.

Now that it's winter time an I set the HVAC to say...80 degrees or so on auto, it looks like auto will kick on for about 2 seconds, then shut off, and only blow hot air through the feet vents and the defrost vents, but not through the drivers side or passenger side vents on the dash.

If i manually select the driver/passenger vents I can get air to blow out, but not in auto mode.

Any ideas?

If a sensor or module isn't failing and there is no codes in the system this is normal

Keep in mind if it isn't keeping a proper temp(eg going cold when you need heat) then you may have a problem

Auto should work full time unless you manually set it to a different setting then what the system has set from the sensor reading and the temp setting

mikedyk43
11-17-12, 09:10 PM
I may be mistaken here since I don't use the heater much in Southern California, but most full auto temperature control systems will always select to push hot air from the floor vents. Based on the principal of heat rising, it is the correct place to send heat from. When you manually select to use the dash vents, it takes it out of "auto" mode.

6lbsofSound
11-17-12, 10:50 PM
Auto temp control with the heat on will always come on with the bottom vents and or windshield. Every GM vehicle does this with the electronic climate control. There are no trouble or fault codes in the system. It's set up this way to not be nauseatingly uncomfortable with hot air blowing from the dash directly at you.