: Archie Bunker will be sad...

creeker
11-16-12, 03:43 PM
Just read a news item that hostess brand is not going to be making twinkies any longer, this will affect 18,500 jobs
across the U.S..

vincentm
11-16-12, 03:53 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-hostess-brands-seeks-court-permission-to-liquidate-20121116,0,3175964.story

(http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-hostess-brands-seeks-court-permission-to-liquidate-20121116,0,3175964.story)

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 04:35 PM
:nono:

At least I got the DIY recipe.

drewsdeville
11-16-12, 05:13 PM
OMGZ how iz dis happening? Where's the government bail out?!?!?

Submariner409
11-16-12, 05:42 PM
No more Twinkies, no more orange iced cupcakes with fluff inside ??? The Mayan calendar said so..............

Some non-union bakery chain could make a killing on this because Hostess is selling the trademarks or names - whatever.

Even on this Forum, in 2012, some of Archie's profound statements would get us all banned forever. PC has gone to the absurd, and that's exactly why the show existed - it was the last of the genré. It's sad to read, hear, and watch the news and realize that what we're experiencing is the insidious, calculated destruction of a strong nation. 50 years, kids - your grandchildren will be at civil war and it will make "reality" movies look like Mickey Mouse cartoons.

CharlieB
11-16-12, 07:11 PM
18,500 jobs which were unionized that caused this to happen...in essence, they all simultaneously resigned.

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 07:44 PM
Yep. Couldn't take a pay cut because they deserve the quality of life their credit bought them. :nono:

People these days. They do NOT understand that there is a VAST difference between want and need. Shoot, I'm a impatient college kid and even I know this!

CharlieB
11-16-12, 07:48 PM
Well they understand it now I am sure.

MrHolland
11-16-12, 08:26 PM
Buy them by the case, they have a great shelf life!!!

creeker
11-16-12, 08:36 PM
Yep. Couldn't take a pay cut because they deserve the quality of life their credit bought them. :nono:

People these days. They do NOT understand that there is a VAST difference between want and need. Shoot, I'm a impatient college kid and even I know this!

You will realize this when you apply for a $12.00 an hour job, wage scale standards are being cut to the point of people being taken advantage of and working
for unreal wages, rent,food,medical, I'm sure hostess employees were not pulling in a huge wage.

cadillac kevin
11-16-12, 08:48 PM
You will realize this when you apply for a $12.00 an hour job, wage scale standards are being cut to the point of people being taken advantage of and working
for unreal wages, rent,food,medical, I'm sure hostess employees were not pulling in a huge wage.

I read online that they were making about 12-15 an hour....not exactly high pay by any means.

creeker
11-16-12, 08:56 PM
I read online that they were making about 12-15 an hour....not exactly high pay by any means.

Thanks for your input, I'm surprised they were making that much.

CharlieB
11-16-12, 09:12 PM
There are areas in the United States whereas 12-15 an hour can afford you a modest, but "livable" living. I hope they all come out okay.

Ranger
11-16-12, 09:21 PM
Just read a news item that hostess brand is not going to be making twinkies any longer, this will affect 18,500 jobs
across the U.S..
Twinkies? They won't be making anything. No more "Red, Yellow and Blue Balloons" either.

I had considered that as well. "Something is better than nothing", but I don't know the circumstances enough to pass judgment. Having been through a Chapter 11, with it's pay and benefit reductions I understand very well that there are may well be more to it than that. Don't be too quick to pass judgment and blame the union. May well be the case, BUT there ARE two asides to every story.

cadillac kevin
11-16-12, 09:35 PM
I blame whoever decided to stop making chocodiles. Those things were awesome (it was a twinkie covered in chocolate icing that they used for hohos, cupcakes, etc for those who didn't have them, since I think they were regional.)

MrHolland
11-16-12, 10:05 PM
Ive never heard of that...

drewsdeville
11-16-12, 10:50 PM
blah blah blah - and it will make "reality" movies look like Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Because they don't now???:alchi:

talismandave
11-16-12, 10:59 PM

I would take that....not that I am complaining, I feel that I live a lifestyle that is far more than modest. I own my car free and clear, a 2004 with 57,000 miles, not new and financed. I buy myself what ever toys, and Cadillac parts I need/want. Sure I would love to roll the Talisman into a shop and pick it up restored next spring, but I have never felt deprived of anything. I have savings that I won't touch for playthings and such. I know Madison isn't the most expensive place to live like LA, but it is by far not the cheapest either and yet I do fine by saving and not borrowing my self into "happiness".

Of course I don't have to budget for union dues taken out of what I make so that helps the net pay. I could easily, and have in the past, work for big box stores and make more, but at a diminished quality of life. When I managed for Menards at the time I was ranked 4th out of 110 stores we had. Even in that position, you never knew for sure that you had a job tomorrow. The stress of feeling you could be out at any time was not worth the extra money to me.

I am not being taken advantage of by my employer. How could I be? I can quit at any time and work elsewhere. As can anyone. I don't need a union to "take care of me". I'm an adult and can handle my own employment issues. Even in this tough job market I could be working at another place in two weeks tops. I have skills, a great work record, and a great work ethic. I guess if I were lacking any of these things the protection of a union would be worth giving them a cut of my money to buy elections with.

Like Luke said, It's not about having what you want, but wanting what you have that makes life fun. :thumbsup:

----------

Tonight we actually had two different customers come in looking for Twinkies.....at the hardware store.....Twinkies???
Apparently everyone in town is out!:bigroll:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-16-12, 11:03 PM
Well, atleast we've still got Little Debbie?! AM I RITE?

77CDV
11-16-12, 11:12 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought we'd be talking about an old LaSalle that no longer ran great.............

cadillac kevin
11-16-12, 11:26 PM
Well, atleast we've still got Little Debbie?! AM I RITE?

Yup...I buy more little debbie than hostess (mostly nutter butters)

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 11:52 PM
I'm not blaming the unions, and I'm not saying they were getting rich quick by any means either.

Dave summarized what I was trying to say perfectly. If you're always trying to keep up with the Jones, you're gonna end up in a deep hole and you're not gonna be any happier than before, because you're still under the impression that you need all those fancy things.

It's true, $12-15 an hour isn't very much in this day and age. Believe me, I know. I have two jobs that are ballpark wage-wise. Kmart is about right wage wise. The Nursing home could be a little better, but I usually work as much as I want, given that position is not in high demand. I'd be shocked if I could support myself on those two jobs. One alone? :lawl:

My main point is beggars can't be choosy. Your job may suck, and you may not think your situation is ideal, but things could be worse. Take what you can get, and if you think you need more, look for more.

What Dave mentioned is a huge part of it too. If you're always goin' after something new, you're gonna be perenially disappointed, and eventually broke. Happy with what you got? You're gonna be one happy camper, and a lot richer to boot.

Again, using myself as an example, I recently came to the conclusion that the drivetrain on my bicycle is shot. It needed a complete overhaul. I could have taken the 2012 route and dumped 'er off for a brand new one and spent likely about $600-$700 bucks getting the brand and type of bike I wanted. Or, I could spend about $100 bucks and make my old wore out bike the new bike I wanted back in 2009. As you can probably guess, the new drivetrain parts are sitting in my dorm room, the bike is mostly disassembled, and there's a can of GM Ultra Silver Metallic ready for application :cloud9: And I KNOW I'm gonna be as thrilled as a 5 year old when I finish the project.

Another good example is my car. My Dad's Escalade is pretty well worn, and he got a new truck, so its days are numbered, so to speak. He keeps asking me if I want to buy it. I think, "Yeah, that'd be cool!" But then I stop and think, "Everybody else would think it would be cool if I got an Escalade. I think it would be cool if I had a 96 DeVille. OH WAIT! :D "

It boils down to what you decide you want. You can try and please everybody else (and fail) or you can please yourself (and if you try, even the tiniest bit, you'll succeed).
I know me pretty good, so I'll stick with the latter. :thumbsup:

We also need more people like Dave who are willing to look for work. If you have that attitude, well, you can do pretty much anything. :thumbsup:

The-Dullahan
11-17-12, 02:10 AM
In order of obvious superiority, I believe it went

Tastycake > Drake's > Little Debbie > Hostess/Storebrand.

However, Hostess DID make Sno Balls. A variety of ingredients I don't normally eat, all rolled into one, somehow-alright desert cupcake thingy.

Didn;t they announce they were preparing for chapter 11 almost a year ago?

bigm57ict
11-17-12, 09:28 AM
I'm not pro-union by any means. I think they were very necessary when they started up, but have grown beyond that into an entity who's main priority is not the needs of the workers they represent, but rather, ensuring the union is strong and feels needed.

However, I can see the other side. Here is a company which has been in financial trouble for a while. This strike gives them an excellent opportunity to finally cash in and make it all seem the union's fault.

Usernam3
11-17-12, 12:55 PM
My dad knows a guy who is a retired Hostess driver. This would've been like the third time that they cut wages. Not sure how much this would've been, but the first two were pretty significant.

talismandave
11-17-12, 01:32 PM
I'm not pro-union by any means. I think they were very necessary when they started up, but have grown beyond that into an entity who's main priority is not the needs of the workers they represent, but rather, ensuring the union is strong and feels needed.

However, I can see the other side. Here is a company which has been in financial trouble for a while. This strike gives them an excellent opportunity to finally cash in and make it all seem the union's fault.

Very true. There are mismanaged companies both unionized and non-union. I am sure the strike was just the last straw, however once you get to that point, I don't think you could care who gets the blame!:lol:

My dad knows a guy who is a retired Hostess driver. This would've been like the third time that they cut wages. Not sure how much this would've been, but the first two were pretty significant.

Wow. Interesting, $12-$15/hr after two significant cuts. things must have been good in their hay days!
No matter who is or isn't at fault it's a shame for all involved.

brandondeleo
11-17-12, 03:40 PM
I'm actually going to the grocery store today to stock up on chocolate Zingers. No joke.

creeker
11-17-12, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=CadillacLuke24;3144620]I'm not blaming the unions, and I'm not saying they were getting rich quick by any means either.

Dave summarized what I was trying to say perfectly. If you're always trying to keep up with the Jones, you're gonna end up in a deep hole and you're not gonna be any happier than before, because you're still under the impression that you need all those fancy things.

It's true, $12-15 an hour isn't very much in this day and age. Believe me, I know. I have two jobs that are ballpark wage-wise. Kmart is about right wage wise. The Nursing home could be a little better, but I usually work as much as I want, given that position is not in high demand. I'd be shocked if I could support myself on those two jobs. One alone? :lawl:

My main point is beggars can't be choosy. Your job may suck, and you may not think your situation is ideal, but things could be worse. Take what you can get, and if you think you need more, look for more.

What Dave mentioned is a huge part of it too. If you're always goin' after something new, you're gonna be perenially disappointed, and eventually broke. Happy with what you got? You're gonna be one happy camper, and a lot richer to boot.

Again, using myself as an example, I recently came to the conclusion that the drivetrain on my bicycle is shot. It needed a complete overhaul. I could have taken the 2012 route and dumped 'er off for a brand new one and spent likely about $600-$700 bucks getting the brand and type of bike I wanted. Or, I could spend about $100 bucks and make my old wore out bike the new bike I wanted back in 2009. As you can probably guess, the new drivetrain parts are sitting in my dorm room, the bike is mostly disassembled, and there's a can of GM Ultra Silver Metallic ready for application :cloud9: And I KNOW I'm gonna be as thrilled as a 5 year old when I finish the project.

Another good example is my car. My Dad's Escalade is pretty well worn, and he got a new truck, so its days are numbered, so to speak. He keeps asking me if I want to buy it. I think, "Yeah, that'd be cool!" But then I stop and think, "Everybody else would think it would be cool if I got an Escalade. I think it would be cool if I had a 96 DeVille. OH WAIT! :D "

It boils down to what you decide you want. You can try and please everybody else (and fail) or you can please yourself (and if you try, even the tiniest bit, you'll succeed).
I know me pretty good, so I'll stick with the latter. :thumbsup:

We also need more people like Dave who are willing to look for work. If you have that attitude, well, you can do pretty much anything. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

I respect your points of view, also I commend you on holding down two jobs while going to school, beggars cant be choosy,but at what point does the average joe
accept ever lowering of wages and work standards, cost of living goes up and wages go down or stay the same,for a 21 year old you really seem to have it together,
Luckily I am now retired and have a pretty good pension plan, that I earned through having reasonable paying union jobs, I'm on the fence when it comes to unions,
there was a period when they were getting too powerful, but they did keep up living standards, I'm glad I'm not starting out in the labor market now. all the best.

Ranger
11-17-12, 08:32 PM
Exactly what I was talking about in post #14. Sometimes you just have to take a stand and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm actually going to the grocery store today to stock up on chocolate Zingers. No joke.
You won't be alone. I understand the store shelves are being picked clean and Twinkies are being sold on Ebay for some crazy prices.

I'm glad I'm not starting out in the labor market now.
AMEN brother!

brandondeleo
11-17-12, 08:42 PM
You won't be alone. I understand the store shelves are being picked clean and Twinkies are being sold on Ebay for some crazy prices!
Apparently so... I went to all of the grocery stores in town and they were all out.

CadillacLuke24
11-17-12, 09:07 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hostess-Twinkies-8-Boxes-of-10-Individually-Packaged-Sponge-Cakes-/360513552317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f0483fbd

$133 bucks for 8 boxes. Shoot, I need to get in on this racket.

Ranger
11-17-12, 09:28 PM
That's cheap from what I have heard. Of coarse asking price and selling price can be far apart.

The-Dullahan
11-17-12, 10:00 PM
Seriously? The stores still have them in stock...

MrHolland
11-18-12, 02:24 AM
I looked a little bit today,,,and they are gone. Disappeared over night!!!

CadillacLuke24
11-18-12, 08:30 AM
:nono: I'd imagine Little Debbie or Pepperidge farms would buy these guys out. This is ridiculous.

cadillac kevin
11-18-12, 09:45 AM
Our stores have fruit pies, but everything else is gone. I should have stocked up...think of all the monies I could have made on ebay.

CadillacLuke24
11-18-12, 10:40 AM
Just more proof there are countless suckers born every minute.

EChas3
11-18-12, 05:59 PM
I read an article quoting a Hostess exec stating their competitors all had excess capacity. The trend in snack choice runs the opposite direction. Still, the brands & recipies are likely more valuable than all the company's other assets combined. They had to get permission from the bankrupcy court to borrow the funds necessary to dissolve.

The only way any of the Hostess workers will get a job at one of those competitors is to relocate and get very lucky.

CadillacCastle
11-19-12, 09:44 PM
LOL unions
18,500 jobs which were unionized that caused this to happen...in essence, they all simultaneously resigned.

----------

There is a lot better food to buy and healthier too.

CharlieB
11-19-12, 09:51 PM
Hold the presses!! It appears that (for those who aren't aware of most mandatory union rules) the final step of mediation never occurred! The Bankruptcy judge noticed this and ordered mediation to occur between the workers and Hostess!!!

What does this mean? This means that there's a CHANCE (better than the doubtful one) that Twinkies may stay!

...which is hilarious for those idiots who bought boxes on eBay for $125+ ROFLMAO!

vincentm
11-19-12, 09:52 PM
If Bimbo buys out Hostess Twinkies will be renamed to Los Tweenkees

Ranger
11-19-12, 09:57 PM
Hold the presses!! It appears that (for those who aren't aware of most mandatory union rules) the final step of mediation never occurred! The Bankruptcy judge noticed this and ordered mediation to occur between the workers and Hostess!!!

What does this mean? This means that there's a CHANCE (better than the doubtful one) that Twinkies may stay!

...which is hilarious for those idiots who bought boxes on eBay for $125+ ROFLMAO!
:histeric: What do you want to bet, if that happens, some A-hole files a law suit.

CharlieB
11-19-12, 10:26 PM
:histeric: What do you want to bet, if that happens, some A-hole files a law suit.

I most certainly want in on that bet! :lol:

talismandave
11-19-12, 11:10 PM
If Bimbo buys out Hostess Twinkies will be renamed to Los Tweenkees

....Bimbo...:lol:
After the Mexican grocery opened in our mall
I got excited when I saw the Bimbo truck come:yup:, only to find out it delivered food.:(

brandondeleo
11-20-12, 11:59 AM
Woo! I got the last Ding Dongs from the vending machine at work!

CharlieB
11-20-12, 12:04 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSTESS-TWINKIES-DELIVERED-TO-YOU-BY-THIS-ADORABLE-YORKSHIRE-TERRIER-PUPPY-/281027290890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416e88270a&autorefresh=true

This guy isn't on crack. Promise.

talismandave
11-20-12, 07:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSTESS-TWINKIES-DELIVERED-TO-YOU-BY-THIS-ADORABLE-YORKSHIRE-TERRIER-PUPPY-/281027290890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416e88270a&autorefresh=true

This guy isn't on crack. Promise.

He might be...his name is Lori...what's that about?

CharlieB
11-20-12, 07:26 PM
Lori goes on to say that he/she has been "taken advantage of" by seedy eBay "customers", and then goes on to charge $1,000,000.00 (or best offer...?) for a flippin' box of Twinkies to be delivered by a miniature dog.

...who's taking advantage of who, here??? lol

----------

By the way, I was one of the 3 offers. I offered $5.25 ROFLMAO

talismandave
11-20-12, 07:30 PM
If Lori put her picture up and you may raise that offer! Keep the dog busy eating Twinkies....

CadillacCastle
11-21-12, 01:21 AM
Twinkies maker Hostess won’t go out of business — yet http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/nov/20/twinkies-maker-hostess-wont-go-out-business-yet/

----------

Twinkies maker Hostess won’t go out of business — yet http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/nov/20/twinkies-maker-hostess-wont-go-out-business-yet/

CharlieB
11-26-12, 10:45 AM
Yeah, Hostess is done.

CadillacCastle
11-26-12, 02:20 PM

This guy isn't on crack. Promise. But this is what they have really been selling for. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=HOSTESS%20TWINKIES&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=0&LH_Complete=1