: Ive lost LOTS of respect for click n clack

truckinman
11-16-12, 04:31 AM
Just listened to one of their pod casts. I've been listening to them since I was a little kid. But tonight, may end that marathon.

A lady called about a Z3 2.3 BMW. This is an old old show btw. She wanted to buy a brand new one for her 16 year old. I do think buying that for a 16 year old has potential to be disastrous. But then I actually started feeling anger towards click n clack. The loud one, Tom I believe, says any company who make cars that handle that well n go that fast should be banned and is unconscionable to even consider building a car like that. They said anything faster than a Saturn should be illegal to even produce, and should be governed at 85 mph. First off, the 2.3 really wasn't THAT quick. You needed the 3.0 or M to really be quick. But then they mentioned corvettes and mustangs and all those, should be thrown out.

I'd assume most of you know who I'm talking about. They have a radio show on NPR every Saturday. Mechanics from Boston. People call in with all kinds of car questions bc they are the "car guys" on radio. But how can they be true car guys of they dont understand the true excitement of driving?

Jesda
11-16-12, 06:02 AM
I think they were just exaggerating to discourage the lady from buying her kid a roadster.

truckinman
11-16-12, 06:49 AM
I think they were just exaggerating to discourage the lady from buying her kid a roadster.

I don't think so. Even after she hung up they ranted on n on and Tom even admitted he's been looking for an excuse to rant about those cars and their senselessness for a long time.

I mean they were trying to discourage her, yes, but they meant it In a much broader statement as well it sounded like. And don't get me wrong I completely agree the mom shouldn't buy her new to driving 16 year old a car like that. Like they said if she hit a tree at 110, she would be dead. And the moms response was the most moronic I've ever heard. She goes "well the speed limit around here is only 35 mph". I shook my head when she said that. Goes to show money can't buy brains.

But for them to openly acknowledge we should do away with cars like the BMW, Mercedes, vettes, stangs, etc.... What's so wrong with someone who's responsible enough to buy a car like those to enjoy on some winding back road somewhere. I don't know, but as a true car guy like myself, cars aren't just for going from point A to point B. That only factors into maybe 5% of my reasoning for buying the cars I buy. Call me irresponsible if you like but that's my opinion.

EcSTSatic
11-16-12, 10:26 AM
I can't find the archive but here's another discussion on this. The link are no good anymore
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73561

truckinman
11-16-12, 11:20 AM
I can't find the archive but here's another discussion on this. The link are no good anymore
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73561

Yep that's the exact discussion right there!

Submariner409
11-16-12, 11:21 AM
It's a fun show, should be taken with a grain of salt, and has always been that way. I've not heard this particular BMW segment, but it is NOWHERE near the first car they've ranted over and carried on about speed - there have been others. Some of their "car advice" is out in left field and some of it is spot-on. Most of it is close to "You meat-head, why did you run the car like that ???"

Edit: .................and that site link is typical Beemer owner discussion - jackasses, every one.

"What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW ???"
"The porcupine has pricks on the outside !"

truckinman
11-16-12, 11:23 AM
It's a fun show, should be taken with a grain of salt, and has always been that way. I've not heard this particular BMW segment, but it is NOWHERE near the first car they've ranted over and carried on about speed - there have been others. Some of their "car advice" is out in left field and some of it is spot-on. Most of it is close to "You meat-head, why did you run the car like that ???"

Pretty much. They are fun to listen to other times Just wish they were a little more open minded.

vincentm
11-16-12, 05:01 PM
I just barely found out about these guys and just learned they retired in October 2012, sucks. I wonder what their opinions are on the northstar cadillacs..

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 05:36 PM
Probably not good.

Submariner409
11-16-12, 06:47 PM
I just barely found out about these guys and just learned they retired in October 2012, sucks. I wonder what their opinions are on the northstar cadillacs..

Just as with every sort of filmed or recorded "show", a little Google work would find most of their airshows. If you can find Jack Benny and Johnny Carson, you can find Tom and Ray Magliozzi. ("Our car leasing service is run by Oscar deLa Rental")(Our legal service is Dewey, Cheatham and Howe")

EChas3
11-18-12, 07:07 PM
They have said some nice things about the CTS and Cadillac's safety innovations over the years. But they were (synthetically are still) employed by NPR. What would you expect?

CadillacLuke24
11-18-12, 07:50 PM
They have said some nice things about the CTS and Cadillac's safety innovations over the years. But they were (synthetically are still) employed by NPR. What would you expect?

Excellent point. I bet they LOVE the Prius.

truckinman
11-19-12, 01:19 AM
Excellent point. I bet they LOVE the Prius.

I hear more good things outa their mouths on the Volvo behalf more than any other auto manufacturer.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-19-12, 02:31 PM
click and clack are good guys , but there a little off the wall.
They dont like anything that runs over 80 mph becuse one of them owns a MG-td . So anything that runs halfway decent and has more acceleration then a city bus is scary to them ...

They do love volvos , and rightfully so , as a former volvo mechanic i have to say there great machines, they also have a sick facination with old chrysler slant sixes ....

think of them like howard stern , if they dont say something stupid every now and then no one will listen to them and they will have to actually earn a living as a mechanic. I for one would say all cars should be banned to make sure i dont have to fix cars for a living again....

dkozloski
11-19-12, 02:47 PM
Let's not be hasty with slant sixes. They're the best thing that ever came out of Chrysler Corp.

truckinman
11-19-12, 02:57 PM
click and clack are good guys , but there a little off the wall.
They dont like anything that runs over 80 mph becuse one of them owns a MG-td . So anything that runs halfway decent and has more acceleration then a city bus is scary to them ...

They do love volvos , and rightfully so , as a former volvo mechanic i have to say there great machines, they also have a sick facination with old chrysler slant sixes ....

think of them like howard stern , if they dont say something stupid every now and then no one will listen to them and they will have to actually earn a living as a mechanic. I for one would say all cars should be banned to make sure i dont have to fix cars for a living again....

Good points. All of em. I was just surprised to hear that from em. As long as ive been listening to em, ud think I'd know better.

And I definitely agree about volvos. They are good cars. My sister has an 06 S40 and it feels like a really solid little car. Even tho it's about the size of something like a 2005 Honda civic, it's got LOTS of luxury in such a small package and driving it, I feel as secure in that little car as I do in my much larger STS.

Just with she had the T5 model. That naturally aspirated 5 cyl feels way under powered. I can't even get the front tire to break traction with the trac control off. Other than the power issue, its a very nice car.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-19-12, 04:34 PM
koz , you know me better then that , i love the old leaning tower of power.

Id love to build a aussie spec HEMI slant six ....and toss it in a old dart ...

chrysler claims that they could make tons of power from the slant six as its angle allowed it to have the best breathing intake runner setups ...

Submariner409
11-19-12, 06:14 PM
I have an idea for two CF members to take up the gauntlet and continue in the spirit of "Click & Clack, the Tappet Brothers".

Any suggestions for pairings that we can sell to NPR for sheer hilarity and guffaws ?

CadillacLuke24
11-19-12, 08:42 PM
I do. You and basscatt. That would be a FREAKING RIOT!! :histeric:

02603sec
11-22-12, 09:33 PM
Love click and clack. Gf is a huge lib. Npr is on all the time. They've made big bucks. Taxpayers dont need the expense.