: Snows for RR Drive STS

SusanM
11-15-12, 08:55 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2005 STS (rear wheel drive) and need to buy snow tires. I currently have Michelin Pilots, P235/50, R17, 95V in the front and P255/45, R17, 95V in the rear.

Can someone recommend a good make for snow tires and size?

Thank you!

curtc
11-15-12, 09:09 PM
Blizzak's are very good but expensive. I bought Cooper Weather-Master ST/2's for my CTS last winter, will be re-used on my STS this winter...CTS stayed on the road so we'll see how the STS rides on them as soon as I get around to putting them on.

Hasn't snowed yet so I'm not in a hurry.

SusanM
11-16-12, 11:59 PM
Thanks Curt!

dkozloski
11-17-12, 01:16 AM
I have WS-60 Blizzaks on my '06 AWD V8 STS and driven thousands of miles on ice-covered roads with no problems.

SusanM
11-17-12, 09:06 AM
Thanks. With AWD I am not surprised. The RWD is not great in the snow, not by a long shot!

I am looking at the Blizzak's now and the price is not bad. In that I have RWD as mentioned, can I purchase only for the rears? Or are they not going to play well with the Michelin's that are up front? (Michelin Pilots, P235/50, R17, 95V).

Thanks again.

curtc
11-17-12, 09:22 AM
Buy 4, all the same size, that way you can rotate them. I never had an issue with my CTS in winter, actually prefer it over FWD now, much more predictable and easier to control if you do start sliding around.

dkozloski
11-17-12, 12:29 PM
Find a snow covered parking lot and try maneuvers before you're going to need them. Find out how the car reacts when you over drive it.

Traction control is smarter than the driver. Do not pedal the car like you would when losing traction with a dragster. It does it for you. When starting out just set a throttle position and hold it. If the wheels start to spin TC will pull ignition timing, reduce the throttle opening, and apply braking to the spinning wheel with no intervention from the driver. I had an RWD CTS with Blizzaks that I drove through snow here in Alaska for thousands of miles. The only time I had to delay a trip a storm dropped sixteen feet of snow on the highway.

EChas3
11-17-12, 05:10 PM
Putting only 2 snow tires on a car is false economy and certainly isn't as safe. While the snows are on, you're not wearing your regular tires; they don't wear all that fast when it's cold.

SusanM
11-17-12, 06:31 PM
Agreed, I can't argue your point about the fronts wearing. However, money is really tight right now. I can spend ~$400 - $500 but double that really is not doable at this time. :-(

My brother grew up on rear wheel drive (beginning with a '67 Barracuda, 225 Slant-six) and he is amazed at how easily the car will slip and slide from a standstill with the slightest amount of throttle, and this despite the systems monitoring of what the vehicle is doing. He is going to weigh down the rear with bags of rock salt or similar material that would burst should I be hit from behind, and coupled with snows on the rear he's hoping this will help it's driveability in the snow. (Incredibly, people will put cinder blocks, etc., in the trunk. NOT a good idea!).

In any event my only option at this time are two for the rear. Any foreseeable issues with the existing Michelin's on the front?

dkozloski
11-17-12, 07:54 PM
Your car is slipping and sliding in the rear because of your crappy tires in the rear. If you go with rear snows only then your car will be slipping and sliding in the front as you plow into the guard rail on crappy front tires. Penny wise and pound foolish.

SusanM
11-18-12, 01:01 AM
Your car is slipping and sliding in the rear because of your crappy tires in the rear. If you go with rear snows only then your car will be slipping and sliding in the front as you plow into the guard rail on crappy front tires. Penny wise and pound foolish.
You're very helpful. Much appreciated. NOT.

cdezey
11-18-12, 08:58 AM
The info provided is accurate, tirerack has video of such a test snows on rear all season on front

Ludacrisvp
11-18-12, 10:11 AM
You're very helpful. Much appreciated. NOT.
Just because you don't like the answer / the truth hurts is no reason to get upset here.

RE: '67 Barracuda, 225 Slant-six - this engine had 145HP and 215LB-FT torque ... power wise there is no comparison to the STS.
Not sure if you have V6 (255HP and 252lb-ft) or V8 (320HP and 315lb-ft)

Also cars that have electronic throttle control like the STS does and basically almost all modern cars do lose that fine control that the mechanical throttle cable had.

dbrooksy25
11-18-12, 02:15 PM
I put 225/55/17 Blizzaks on my RWD V8 last year and they worked great. (Chicagoland area) The set of four, installed was around $550 at a Firestone Complete Auto Care center. Also, they only charge $30 to swap your tires come summer time. They matched a online price I found.

EChas3
11-18-12, 05:15 PM
^^^ Good deals will soon be hard to find.

is3_ftw
11-23-12, 01:58 PM
Unless you live in a state where the temp stays below 40* and snows all winter long. It will be a waste of money to purchase the Blizzaks. The reason why I say its a waste of money, cus if the temp is above 45*, your tires will be eaten up with the warm temp and wont last long. Blizzaks tire compound is softer and not good for warm weather. All season is a harder compound tire and probably the reason why your slipping on ice. Its ice that makes you slip, not snow ;)
Now if its slush, no tire in the world will get you out of if. I would just have a set of chains in the trunk, along with the bag of sand or salt.

If I was you, just drive in an empty parking lot to get the feel of how the car manuevers and drive slow. At a dead stop, just slowly tap on the gas until the all season tires get traction and counter the skid so youre kind of going straight. (EX: if your rear is sliding to the right, turn your steering wheel to the right. likewise if its sliding to the left). Its hard to explain, unless you do it. Then you will understand

I have a RWD car that I take to go snowboarding. I have rear LSD and traction control on my car. And it has done great with my Conti DWS all season tires. I do have chains to get me around sometimes.

You will only slip and slide in the front, if your going faster than you should around a corner. In a straight line, you will be fine