: nav system and bose stereo system gone haywire

rivgal1964
11-15-12, 07:43 PM
I have a 2006 STS with approx 125000 km on it...this problem has happened twice now since I have owned my car....start the car everything works well drive for about 20 minutes shut car off, came back in 2 minutes, re start car again only to find the nav screen won't light up and the bose radio which is lit but won't do anything...I can hear the music very faintly...I drove up the street for a few blocks and turned the car right off and then restarted it again only to find that the car almost wouldn't start for me...finally it caught and started...I checked out the voltage and it was in the normal range of 14.5...anyone have any suggestions or have the same situation happen to them...thanks

curtc
11-15-12, 08:18 PM
I've had my NAV lock up 3 times. Start the car and nothing, just the default OFF screen with the clock and it won't turn on...Had to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes...Hasn't done that for a while but I bet it will tonight now that I brought it up...

ddalder
11-15-12, 09:35 PM
It sounds like you should start with your battery and see what happens from there. What you are describing only means that your charging system is working. A battery should read 12.6V (charged with no load) so from what you've written, I assume the car was running. This really doesn't mean a lot here.

rivgal1964
11-15-12, 09:55 PM
Hi, I let the car sit for about 1/2 hour then took my husband out to the garage with me...he told me to press the aux button and just see what would happen..well the nav screen lit up and the music started to play...I then started the car and it started up just fine...the nav system was still stuck on the location where I had just come from but other than that all is good in the world again... thanks for taking the time to respond....not sure why I had troubles starting the car earlier

ddalder
11-15-12, 09:59 PM
These cars are well known for this type of behaviour. If you let it sit, it may well start as you've described. It may also take a little driving for the screen to catch up to your current position. Based on the prior hesitation in starting, I'd strongly urge you to have your battery properly load tested (fully charged and then tested under a measured load). My car acted this way on and off for several weeks before the battery finally wouldn't hold enough charge to start the car. A lot of erroneous vehicle issues accompanied this. Battery problems with the STS are very common.